Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Need help with IP and MAC addresses Post 302282353 by manmeet on Friday 30th of January 2009 04:41:06 PM
Old 01-30-2009
Need help with IP and MAC addresses

Hi,
i am working on a project where i have to write a script to find out MAC addresses of the systems with given IP address.
Can anybody tell me which command i can use to find MAC address if you know IP address of the machine.
Thanks

Last edited by manmeet; 01-30-2009 at 05:49 PM..

5 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Mac addresses of NICs (why are they the same)

I am training to be support on our solaris based network and was wondering why solaris seems to assign the same mac address to all NICs placed in the machine regardless of how many NICs are in there, when i do a ifconfig -a all nics have same MAC. Presumably this is a feature and there is... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hcclnoodles
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help extracting MAC addresses from List

Hello all. I have a large number of text files outputted from various Netstumbler Wireless Scans; from which I need to extract the MAC addresses of the various Access Points. The Text files look like this: # $Creator: Network Stumbler Version 0.4.0 # $Format: wi-scan summary with... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: dhs23
9 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Difference between Mac and IP addresses

If a web search is done on this topic there are many links but no information included in the documents. So my questions are; Why does a NIC card have it's own permanent ID. Why can't it share the host name? An ID is an ID. Why does a computer need two ways to ID it. If the network... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: theKbStockpiler
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Don't see my mac addresses of my devices

I have a problem with a script , i want to see my devices there are up in my network. I want as output the ip addresses of the devices and also the mac address but I only had the ip addresses #!/bin/bash while ] do -mac) Extension=5 shift mac=$1 shift ;; esac... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Roggy
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script getting IP's and MAC addresses

Hy over there, Lets make it simple :) Using a bash script, how to grep only the ip address and the mac address and put them in a file:. for example from the dhcp.conf file we got such things: The script will end up with two columns IP's and MAC adresses as it is showed below: ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: hermouche
9 Replies
learp(8)						      System Manager's Manual							  learp(8)

NAME
learp - Displays the contents of a LAN-Emulation Address Resolution Protocol (LE-ARP) table SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/learp [-u unit_number] -a OPTIONS
Specifies a LE-ARP cache. The unit number is the same as is displayed by the netstat -i command. For example: elan0 is unit 0, elan1 is unit 1, and so on. If the -u option is not specified, the default unit number is 0. Displays all entries in the LAN-Emulation Address Resolution Pro- tocol (LE-ARP) table. DESCRIPTION
Each LAN-Emulation Client interface (displayed as elann in netstat output) has an Address Resolution Protocol (LE-ARP) table that contains mappings of 6-byte medium access control (MAC) addresses to 20-byte Asynchronous Transfer Mode (ATM) addresses. The learp command displays the contents of the LE-ARP table. Each LE-ARP table entry contains the following information: Each MAC address that has been or is being contacted through the ATM-emulated LAN. One of the following state values: AP -- LE-ARP is pending. The ATM address associated with the MAC address is not known. DE -- Delete of the LE-ARP cache entry is pending. When there are no more VCs for a LE-ARP entry, it is marked for deletion. After there is no activity for 5 minutes (age periond), the entry is removed for the cache. FD -- Forward Direct. Packets flowing to the destination are using the data-direct VC. FL -- Flush is pending. A new VC has been established with the remote node and the broadcast channel is being flushed so packets flowing on the new VC will not arrive out of order. VP -- Virtual Channel (VC) setup is pending. The ATM address is known, but no VC is established with the remote node. If known, the 20-byte ATM address associated with the MAC address. One of the fol- lowing flags: R -- Remote entry. The MAC address is on a legacy (that is, Ethernet) network on the back side of an ATM edge device. P -- Permanent entry. The LE-ARP entry is permanent. If known, this is the Virtual Path Identifier (VPI) and the Virtual Channel Identifier (VCI) of the data-direct VC used by packets destined to the MAC address. Many MAC addresses may use the same VC. EXAMPLES
The following example shows the output of a learp -a command in which the LE-ARP cache contains five entries: # learp -a le-arp cache con- tains 5 entries. MAC Address State ATM Address Flags VPI/VCI 08-00-2b-01-01-01 (AP) pending 08-00-2b-01-01-02 (VP) 39000000000000000000000000.08002b010102.00 pending 08-00-2b-01-02-02 (FL) 39000000000000000000000000.08002b010203.00 R 0/65 08-00-2b-01-02-03 (FD) 39000000000000000000000000.08002b010203.00 0/65 SEE ALSO
Commands: atmconfig(8), atmelan(8), atmsig(8) learp(8)