Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting how to have ENTER after each symbol. Post 302282239 by jim mcnamara on Friday 30th of January 2009 11:02:01 AM
Old 01-30-2009
assume the data is in a file called inputfilename, you can use awk:
Code:
#!/bin/ksh
# one parameter: spacing
spacing="$1"
awk -v spc=$spacing '{ for(i=1; i<=length($0); i++) {
					   printf( (i%spc == 0)?"%s\n":"%s", substr($0,i,1))
					 }} END { printf "\n"}'  inputfilename

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

HELP with Enter Character

I'm using PHP in my site. I have txt files for news. I reads the txt files and post the news. i have a php function that finds the caracter asc(13) which is the enter, and puts a <br>. It works in Windows, but not on Unix. Can u help me with that. Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: zecarlos
1 Replies

2. Solaris

Cant enter password

When i come to the login screen i will put root and no password, and it will say its incorrect, but even when i try to enter a password nothing comes up in the box (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: possuman72
2 Replies

3. Solaris

Enter to OBP

Hello, today i'm comment in /etc/vfstab fs /usr and my server load in SingleUser without anything commands :( How i can enter to OBP from # ? or ILOM ? I'm try CTRL+BREAK (F5) , CTRL+ALT+BREAK (F5) and #. but it's don't help me :(((( (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jess_t03
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Trigger Enter

Hello, I need to trigger every time enter has been clicked while some one on terminal i tried to googleit but with out result any idea ?? thanks in advance (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: AYAK
3 Replies

5. Solaris

/usr/lib/passwdutil.so.1: symbol __nsl_fgetspent_r: referenced symbol not found

deleteing post (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: dshakey
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

remove enter

Hi All, I have a file , delimited by | Last column of the file has a extra enter causing error in my program Eg: firstworld <enter>; NO EMP i want data to be firstworld; NO EMP Is there a way to remove enter from a file (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gwrm
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Tab and Enter

Do Tab or Enter behave like a command in some cases? For example, I had been trying to plot with gnuplot by usinf shell script like command inside: cat plot.gnu gives : plot 'datafile1' , \ 'datafile2' Now gnuplot doesn't recognize the newline command "\" unless I use "enter" in the... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: hbar
12 Replies

8. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

Unable to enter the DB

Hi folks, I am on a very critical situation. I have a sun Solaris 10 MC with oracle 10G installed on it. When i try to mount the DB, I can mount it, But when I try to access it, the DB is inaccessible. SQL> select status from v$instance; STATUS ------------ MOUNTED SQL> shutdown... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek.goel.piet
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Loop logic, enter into respective IF as per enter input file name

have three big data file, however I just need to see the mentioned below one line form the all the file which has SERVER_CONNECTION Value File 1 export SERVER_CONNECTION=//dvlna002:10001/SmartServer File2 export SERVER_CONNECTION=///SmartServer File3 export... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Nsharma3006
1 Replies
spacing(3MENU)															    spacing(3MENU)

NAME
spacing - Control spacing between menu items. SYNOPSIS
#include <menu.h> int set_menu_spacing(MENU *menu, int spc_description, int spc_rows, int spc_columns); int menu_spacing(const MENU *menu, int* spc_description, int* spc_rows, int* spc_columns); DESCRIPTION
The function set_menu_spacing sets the spacing informations for the menu. spc_description controls the number of spaces between an item name and an item description. It must not be larger than TABSIZE. The menu system puts in the middle of this spacing area the pad charac- ter. The remaining parts are filled with spaces. spc_rows controls the number of rows that are used for an item. It must not be larger than 3. The menu system inserts the blank lines between item rows, these lines will contain the pad character in the appropriate positions. spc_columns controls the number of blanks between columns of items. It must not be larger than TABSIZE. A value of 0 for all the spacing values resets them to the default, which is 1 for all of them. The function menu_spacing passes back the spacing info for the menu. If a pointer is NULL, this specific info is simply not returned. RETURN VALUE
Both routines return E_OK on success. set_menu_spacing may return E_POSTED if the menu is posted, or E_BAD_ARGUMENT if one of the spacing values is out of range. SEE ALSO
ncurses(3NCURSES), menu(3MENU). NOTES
The header file <menu.h> automatically includes the header file <curses.h>. PORTABILITY
These routines are specific to ncurses. They were not supported on Version 7, BSD or System V implementations. It is recommended that any code depending on them be conditioned using NCURSES_VERSION. AUTHORS
Juergen Pfeifer. Manual pages and adaptation for new curses by Eric S. Raymond. spacing(3MENU)