Sponsored Content
The Lounge What is on Your Mind? If possible, would you consider buying OS X for a non Mac computer? Post 302282230 by justine on Friday 30th of January 2009 10:34:30 AM
Old 01-30-2009
This is my first post here. Hi everyone.

I voted no.

For me, I just can't see spending money on what I see as basically repackaged BSD, and without the freedom of open source and the wow-factor of things like Compiz Fusion. Why not just use Linux?

On the other hand, I absolutely understand the desire to have an OS which is as well maintained as the Mac OS is, and which might be considered more user-friendly than any of the pure unix-like systems. But what of Linux Mint? Or Ununtu/Kubuntu? Anyone could use those. And I suspect that if more people knew about them (and the fact that they don't need the Mac architecture to run), they would.

2 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Urgent help with web design problems - mac, safari and unix computer

Hi (Help, Help, Help) I am on a computer course and have designed a web site as one of my assignments. just before Xmas my college tutor "very kindly" viewed my site with a mac, safari browser and unix operating system computer. This is what she Emailed back to me, and I am trying to sort... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: skylark167
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

My code worked on a Mac, now it does not work in another computer

I guess Mac has default bash. Then I copy my code to another comp and run it...And it gives me an error like "bad substitution".... How I can change my code??? Never had before this kind of situation. Help please. if then n=$(sort /Users/Natalie/lastserial | tail -1) ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Natalie
6 Replies
SW_VERS(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						SW_VERS(1)

NAME
sw_vers -- print Mac OS X operating system version information SYNOPSIS
sw_vers sw_vers -productName sw_vers -productVersion sw_vers -buildVersion DESCRIPTION
sw_vers prints version information about the Mac OS X or Mac OS X Server operating system running on the local machine. When executed with no options sw_vers prints a short list of version properties: % sw_vers ProductName: Mac OS X ProductVersion: 10.3 BuildVersion: 7A100 The ProductName property provides the name of the operating system release (typically either "Mac OS X" or "Mac OS X Server"). The ProductVersion property defines the version of the operating system release (for example, "10.2.4" or "10.3"). The BuildVersion property provides the specific revision of the operating system as generated by the Mac OS X build system. OPTIONS
The output of sw_vers can be refined by the following options. -productName Print just the value of the ProductName property. -productVersion Print just the value of the ProductVersion property. -buildVersion Print just the value of the BuildVersion property. EXAMPLES
% sw_vers -productName Mac OS X % sw_vers -productVersion 10.3 % sw_vers -buildVersion 7A100 FILES
/System/Library/CoreServices/SystemVersion.plist /System/Library/CoreServices/ServerVersion.plist Mac OS X March 10, 2003 Mac OS X