Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Translating/Replacing characters in a file Post 302282177 by pludi on Friday 30th of January 2009 09:36:25 AM
Old 01-30-2009
Keyboard layouts can be messy Smilie
Code:
perl -pi.bak -e 's/~/ß/g;s/}/ü/g;' hugo.dat

Will replace as needed and save a backup as hugo.dat.bak

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

replacing few characters in a file

Hi All, I have huge xml file. The file contains some comment tags . I have requirement to replace comment tag with another comment tag. Say for example : file X has -- Part of the file <?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-2"?><translationResults jobDate="20070123 23:20:51"... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: purnakarthik
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing characters in file with line break

Hi, Apologies if this has been asked before, but I searched and was not able to find an answer. It's probably a simple question to answer for those of you with some experience, though... I have a relatively long string where tokens are separated by the colon (':') character. Let's say the... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: johnemb
10 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help Replacing Characters in Flat File

I was wondering if somebody could help me with something on UNIX. I have a file that looks like this - "nelson,bill","bill","123 Main St","Mpls","MN",55444,8877,william I want to replace all comma with pipes (|), except if the comma is within double quotes. (The first field is an example of... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: nelson553011
8 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

replacing the characters in a file

hi i want to replace the characters between positions 2 to 30 in each line in a file how to do it suggestions welcome (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: trichyselva
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Replacing characters in csv file

Hello all, This is my first post here, so please excuse me if this question is too obvious or has been asked before. I am new to Unix and although I tried to search your forum for the answer to my question, I could not find an answer that would help me. I have a 500MB csv file with numeric values... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: finwhiz
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Replacing digit with characters in a file

Hi, I have a file with 40 columns out of which 15 are amount fields. There are approximately 6 mn records in this file. The file has data in following format: 123A,Ank,00.468,US,IL,780,53489 253A,Tng,-00.456,US,CA,452,46781 363A,nkk,-00.023,US,NJ,539,09625 I need to take all amount fields... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: wahi80
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed replacing specific characters and control characters by escaping

sed -e "s// /g" old.txt > new.txt While I do know some control characters need to be escaped, can normal characters also be escaped and still work the same way? Basically I do not know all control characters that have a special meaning, for example, ?, ., % have a meaning and have to be escaped... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: ijustneeda
11 Replies

8. HP-UX

Replacing Hex Characters In A File Using awk?

Hi guys, First off, i'm a complete noob to UNIX and LINUX so apologies if I don't understand the basics! I have a file which contains a hex value of '0D' at the end of each line when I look at it in a hex viewer. I need to change it so it contains a hex value of '0D0A0A' I thought... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: AndyBSG
10 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Replacing characters in a file

Suppose I have a file which has 1000 columns (5 SHOWN FOR EXAMPLE) two alphabets are separated by a space and then tab A A"\t"C C"\t"G G"\t"0 0"\t"T T A G"\t"C C"\t"G G"\t"A T"\t"0 0 G A"\t"0 0"\t"G C"\t"A A"\t"T C whenever there is a 0 0 in any column, the output should be printed as A... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: rossi
12 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Any tip to replacing the special characters in a file

Hi, Please find attached a file that has special characters on it. It is a copy and paste from a Micro$oft file. I don't want to use strings as it remove all the 'indentations' / 'formatting' so I am replacing them with space instead. I am using the sed command below sed "s/$(printf... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: newbie_01
1 Replies
sdiff(1)						      General Commands Manual							  sdiff(1)

NAME
sdiff - Compares two files and displays the differences in a side-by-side format SYNOPSIS
sdiff [-l | -s] [-w number] [-o output_file] file1 file2 The sdiff command reads file1 and file2, uses diff to compare them, and writes the results to standard output in a side-by-side format. OPTIONS
Displays only the left side when lines are identical. Creates a third file, output_file, by a controlled interactive line-by-line merging of file1 and file2. The following subcommands govern the creation of this file: Adds the left side to output_file. Adds the right side to output_file. Stops displaying identical lines. Begins displaying identical lines. Enters ed with the left side, the right side, both sides, or an empty file, respectively. Each time you exit from ed, sdiff writes the resulting edited file to the end of output_file. If you fail to save the changes before exiting, sdiff writes the initial input to output_file. Exits the interactive session. Suppresses display of identical lines. Sets the width of the output line to number (130 characters by default). DESCRIPTION
The sdiff command displays each line of the two files with a series of spaces between them if the lines are identical, a < (left angle bracket) in the field of spaces if the line only exists in file1, a > (right angle bracket) if the line only exists in file2, and a | (ver- tical bar) for lines that are different. When you specify the -o option, sdiff produces a third file by merging file1 and file2 according to your instructions. Note that the sdiff command invokes the diff -b command to compare two input files. The -b option causes the diff command to ignore trail- ing spaces, tab characters, and consider other strings of spaces as equal. EXAMPLES
To print a comparison of two files, enter: sdiff chap1.bak chap1 This displays a side-by-side listing that compares each line of chap1.bak and chap1. To display only the lines that differ, enter: sdiff -s -w 80 chap1.bak chap1 This displays the differences at the tty. The -w 80 sets page width to 80 columns. The -s option tells sdiff not to display lines that are identical in both files. To selectively combine parts of two files, enter: sdiff -s -w 80 -o chap1.combo chap1.bak chap1 This combines chap1.bak and chap1 into a new file called chap1.combo. For each group of differing lines, sdiff asks you which group to keep or whether you want to edit them using ed. SEE ALSO
Commands: diff(1), ed(1) sdiff(1)