Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Backup with tar
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Backup with tar Post 302281951 by solaris5.10 on Thursday 29th of January 2009 10:14:31 PM
Old 01-29-2009
Hi Vbe,

Can you brief me about pax???
How to use?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

extract from tar backup

Hi All, I have created a tar file by giving the below command : all files of directory : /Accounts/2001/10/26 $tar -cvf Act26.tar /Accounts/2001/10/26 I copied into another server and given the following command: $tar -xvf Act26.tar then permision denied message came due to the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: krishna
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

tar backup

Hi all, I would like to append list of files to already taken tar backup file. can anybody help? last month backup : cd /accounts/11 tar -cvf monthback.tar * Now I want to add /accounts/12 to monthback.tar is it possible? Krishna (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: krishna
1 Replies

3. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Using `tar` for a selective backup.

Hi all & anyone. I'm trying to selectively backup up some old Apache log files before they are removed from the system (Slackware box). Have created a file listing of what I want backed up ...Below is a portion of the file ./selectedbkup... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Cameron
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

tar backup problems

Im trying to use tar to backup the os directories. I have a file called bdirs which contains a list of the directories that im trying to backup: /bin /dev /devices /etc /export /home /kernel /lib /local /mnt /opt /platform /proc /sbin start /usr /var /vol (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: blakmk
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Backup help/advice using TAR

Every day we back up all files on our system that are older than 7 days, so effectively we do a day's worth at a time. The way we do this is to issue a find command using mtime +7 - we then loop round and for each result we issue a MV to move the file to a newly created directory. We then TAR the... (20 Replies)
Discussion started by: tonysab
20 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Tar backup

I am trying to do a full system backup using tar. It then after maybe 12 or so hours comes up with tar: write error: unexpected EOF. I have thoroughly cleaned the drive and tried to use a different drive but it still gives me this error. Can someone help. I am on solaris 8. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: TMashie
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

tar - incremental backup

Hello everyone! I'm trying to make incremental tar archives of a folder for an example. On the box I use is UNIX AIX installed. I tried some sample codes I found on several web pages but with no success. Don't know what I'm doing wrong. Please write some sample code to make incremental tar... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Funky_ass
0 Replies

8. Red Hat

tar backup on network

Hi all, i need to backup files on network from RHEL 4 machine tape drive is installed on solaris 10 machine and want ot use this using # tar cv /myfiles |ssh -l myuser myhost 'buffer -o /dev/rmt/0 " to backup these file but getting getting error " sh buffer not found ' even "buffer-1.19-1"... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajays
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Tar differential backup

I am backing up some data to an NTFS formatted backup drive. I have to preserve the Unix permissions of the data being backed up and therfore use backup into a tar file. I would like to backup the differnential data in the tar file similiar to how Rsync works so as to save on backup time as it... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jelloir
1 Replies

10. Red Hat

Backup and restore using tar

This will be covered elsewhere im sure but i just cant seem to find my exact issue. I want to backup my systems using tar, command is: tar -cjpf /backup /bin /etc /home /opt /root /sbin /usr /var /bootWhen i include the / directory it also tar's the /lib /sys /proc /dev filesystems too (and... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tommyk
8 Replies