Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting rename multiple filename.45267.txt to >> filename.txt Post 302281876 by jason7 on Thursday 29th of January 2009 04:37:01 PM
Old 01-29-2009
thank you!

for you

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Multiple file rename (change in filename in unix with single command

Dear All, Please help ! i ham having 300 file with E.G. PMC1_4567.arc in seq. like PMC1_4568.arc,PMC1_4569.arc ...n and so on.. i want all those file to be rename like PMC_4567.arc ,PMC_4568.arc .. mean i want to remove 1 from first file name .. pls help.. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: moon_22
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

write filename as first line in a txt file

Could anyone very kindly help me a simple way to perform the - perhaps - very trivial task of writing the name of a file as first line of that file which is in txt format? And would be possible to do this recursively for some thousands files in the XY directory? And, again, add to the simple... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mjomba
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

[PERL] Cannot stat or move filename - £££F3AERO££.txt

Scenario: Users drop files into a directory which is regularly polled by my PERL process. On detecting a file my process will move it from the poll dir to a working directory. A user created a file with a £ symbol in the filename and my process now fails. e.g £££F3AERO££.txt ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: thefal9
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to unzip Filename.txt.Z

Hii I am having a file in Unix which is filename.txt.Z How can i take of the Z to read the file Please help Regards Laxmi (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: laxmi1166
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Move txt file to with current date appended to filename

I have multiple txt files which begin with the word "orders" in folder C:\source. I need to move the files to folder C:\dest and rename them to "process_<date>_<count>" So for example , if there are 3 files ordersa.txt , ordersb.txt and ordersc.txt in C:\source , after running the script I want... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: johannd
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Move txt file to with current date appended to filename

I have multiple txt files which begin with the word "orders" in folder C:\source. I need to move the files to folder C:\dest and rename them to "process_<date>_<count>" So for example , if there are 3 files ordersa.txt , ordersb.txt and ordersc.txt in C:\source , after running the script I want... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: johannd
7 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Add a new column to txt file containing filename

I would like help adding a new column to a large txt file (~10MB) that contains the filename. I have searched other posts but have not found an adequate solution. I need this extra column so I can concatenate >100 files and perform awk searches on this large file. My current txt file look... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kellywilliams
4 Replies

8. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

Check dir for overly path+filename and list in txt

Well since Windows always laments over some of my files having a too long "path+filename" and it gets in the way of copying complete directory structures I would love to have a DOS Script that helps me with finding those. I already tried DCSoft Long Filename Finder but that is neither DOS based... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pasc
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing .dat.gz to .txt.gz in filename

Hi, I tried below method; mv -v /oracle1/scr/tilki/willsendtilkiNew/VOICE-MO_$nfname.gz \ $(echo /oracle1/scr/tilki/willsendtilkiNew/VOICE-MO_$nfname.gz | tr 'dat' 'txt'); nfame variable has the string "dat" . I need to rename files like below; ASIS: 20140902103700_100319.dat.gz... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: snr_silencer
8 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract the filename and write to .txt

I'm new to this forum and also to UNIX scripting. I need a command to extract the filename from the path and write to .txt file. Thanks in advance for your guidance. (23 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ram Kumar_BE
23 Replies
RENAME(1)						 Perl Programmers Reference Guide						 RENAME(1)

NAME
rename - renames multiple files SYNOPSIS
rename [ -v ] [ -n ] [ -f ] perlexpr [ files ] DESCRIPTION
"rename" renames the filenames supplied according to the rule specified as the first argument. The perlexpr argument is a Perl expression which is expected to modify the $_ string in Perl for at least some of the filenames specified. If a given filename is not modified by the expression, it will not be renamed. If no filenames are given on the command line, filenames will be read via standard input. For example, to rename all files matching "*.bak" to strip the extension, you might say rename 's/.bak$//' *.bak To translate uppercase names to lower, you'd use rename 'y/A-Z/a-z/' * OPTIONS
-v, --verbose Verbose: print names of files successfully renamed. -n, --no-act No Action: show what files would have been renamed. -f, --force Force: overwrite existing files. ENVIRONMENT
No environment variables are used. AUTHOR
Larry Wall SEE ALSO
mv(1), perl(1) DIAGNOSTICS
If you give an invalid Perl expression you'll get a syntax error. BUGS
The original "rename" did not check for the existence of target filenames, so had to be used with care. I hope I've fixed that (Robin Barker). perl v5.14.2 2014-09-26 RENAME(1)