Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris A strange user appears in my quotas and I can't find it in my system Post 302281794 by lzcool on Thursday 29th of January 2009 12:45:37 PM
Old 01-29-2009
Ok, thanks for that hint =). You're right. I'm searching the process list right now, I solved the immediate problem, however, I've to find what process was writing in those files.
I'll try to find anything useful in my server. Smilie

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

integer user names and user quotas!

hello, i want to implements user quotas. the problem is that all of our user names are integer numbers, like 8510453. so when i set quota for a user (e.g. 8510453), it wont be set for that user name instead it will be set for exactly this: #8510453 (this is what webmin report shows). i have... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrhosseini
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find the user with less number of files in the system

Good morning everybody, I'm using Minix and I want to find the user with less number of files in the system I have tried this solution: #! /bin/sh indice=0 listaCut=$(cut -f 3 -d : /etc/passwd) for USER in $listaCut; do cont=0 listaFind=$(find / -user "${USER}" -type -f) ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Guccio
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find user owner of the most recently file in the system

Good evening everybody, I have to find the user owner of the most recently file in the system How can I do? :confused: (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Guccio
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to find a word in a file that appears next to a given keyword

Hi Experts, I have a file which contains some text. i need to print the word next to a given keyword. Please help. Ex: test.txt ===================== NEXT HOST ===================== AEADBAS001 access-list 1 permit xxxxxxxxxxxxxx ip access-list extended BLA_Outgoing_Filter... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: mwrg
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

find a user on the system

i am prompting for a name to search. read user if then however, i get this error: please enter a username on the system: fool menu_script2.sh: line 123: (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: icelated
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Strange system activity no matter what I try

When I choose to encrypt my drive during a Linux install, it encryps it, but I receive errors in dmesg and in ~/.xsessions-errors during use. The first error is in dmesg where it sometimes shows errors writing to the encypted device. The second error is in ~/.xsessions-errors with an error about... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: justgoogleit
0 Replies

7. Solaris

quotas on two file system

Hi Guys, I have quota support turned on, on two file systems. However, when I do a repquota -va I get report only for one. What might be the problem? I will really appreciate your help. Thanks Gurus. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: cjashu
0 Replies

8. Solaris

Strange space consumption on file-system

Hello, I have a x86 Solaris server running on VMWare. c1t0d0 is root disk of 40 GB. I am not able to find, where space is being consumed. It just available space is 2.6 GB only. There is no quota or reservation set. Can somebody give me some pointer to fix it ? -bash-3.2# zpool list NAME ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: solaris_1977
6 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Calling system() if certain text appears on the screen.

Hi. I'm wondering if it is possible to execute system(), if a certain string of text appears on the screen or not? I want to be able to run system("rz -Z") based on if "B00000000000000" appears on the screen. rz is a program to recieve files via Zmodem protocol. Is this possible? In C, of... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ignatius
3 Replies
SCAN_FFS(8)						    BSD System Manager's Manual 					       SCAN_FFS(8)

NAME
scan_ffs, scan_lfs -- find FFSv1/FFSv2/LFS partitions on a disk or file SYNOPSIS
scan_ffs [-blv] [-e end] [-F file] [-s start] device DESCRIPTION
scan_ffs will take a raw disk device that covers the whole disk or a file and will find all possible FFSv[12]/LFS partitions, independent of block sizes on it. It will show the file system type (FFSv1, FFSv2, or LFS), size, and offset. Also it has an option to show the values with a disklabel-alike output. The options are as follows: -b Report every superblock found with its sector address, rather than trying to report the partition boundaries. This option can be useful to find the other superblocks in a partition if the first superblock has become corrupted. It is most useful if device refers to the raw device for the partition, rather than the entire disk. -e end Where to stop searching for file systems. The end argument specifies the last sector that will be searched. Default is the last sector of device. -F file Path to a file containing possible partitions inside of it. -l Print out a string looking much like the input to disklabel. With a little massaging, this output can usually be used by disklabel(8). -s start Where to start searching for file systems. This makes it easier to skip swap partitions or other large non-UFS/FFS partitions. The start argument specifies the first sector that will be searched. Default is the first sector of device. -v Be verbose about what scan_ffs is doing, and what has been found. The device argument specifies which device scan_ffs should scan for file systems. scan_lfs is just another name for the same program, both behave in exactly the same way. SEE ALSO
disklabel(8) HISTORY
The scan_ffs program first appeared in OpenBSD 2.3 and then in NetBSD 3.1. Support for searching in files was added in NetBSD 4.0. AUTHORS
scan_ffs was written for OpenBSD by Niklas Hallqvist and Tobias Weingartner. It was ported to NetBSD by Juan Romero Pardines, who added sup- port for LFS/FFSv2, partitions with fragsize/blocksize greater than 2048/16384 for FFSv1, searching on files, etc. BUGS
Currently scan_ffs won't find partitions with fragsize/blocksize greater than 8192/65536. BSD
May 1, 2007 BSD