Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting sed - how to insert chars into a line Post 302281561 by tangentviper on Thursday 29th of January 2009 05:46:23 AM
Old 01-29-2009
sed - how to insert chars into a line

Hi I'm new to sed, and need to add characters into a specific location of a file, the fileds are tab seperated.

text <tab> <tab> text <tab> text EOL

I need to add more characters to the line to look like this:

text <tab> <tab> newtext <tab> text <tab> text EOL

Any ideas?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

insert new line at found chars

Hey gang, I have: XXZZXXZZXX 123 asdaffggh dfghyrgr ertyhdhh XXZZXXZZXX 234 sdg XXZZXXZZXX 456 gfg fggfd That is all on one line. Very simply put I want to do is something like: sed s'/XXZZXXZZXX /\n/g' or tr 'XXZZXXZZXX ' '/n' I have tried various things but can never get the desired... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: crowman
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

find 4 chars on 2nd line, 44 chars over

I know this should be simple, but I've been manning sed awk grep and find and am stupidly stumped :( I'm trying to use sed (or awk, find, etc) to find 4 characters on the second line of a file.txt 44-47 characters in. I can find lots of sed things for lines, but not characters. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: unclecameron
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed insert text at particular line

I know that sed -n '12p' file will print line 12 but how might I insert text to a specified line? thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: action_owl
2 Replies

4. AIX

insert a line with variables using sed

Hi, I have to insert a line having variables using sed. But the variables are not getting substituted within sed. Ex: n=2 sed $n' i\ hi' file This works. But the below code does not work. n=2 line=hello sed $n' i\ $line' file The above code inserts '$line' in the 2nd line of the... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: sugan
9 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK/SED: handle max chars in a line

Hi all, I hope you guys can help me. I prefer SED/AWK solutions if possible. For my shame it didn't work for me :o ISSUE: :wall: 1\3 1/$4\@7\ 1234567890123456789\ 1234567890123456789,\ 1234567890123456789\ 123456789012 12345 1234567890123456789\ 1234567890123456789,\ 1234... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: unknown7
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert @Line # - SED (non-GNU)

Just posted on another fellow's question using ed, but I wanted to know about doing it with sed on Unix. For example - I have a file of an unknown length, but I want to add a line after the shell declaration (Line 2). If possible, I'd like the example to be able to just substitute in a number and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vryali
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed - How to insert line before the first blank line following a token

Hello. I have a config file (/etc/my_config_file) which may content : # # port for HTTP (descriptions, SOAP, media transfer) traffic port=8200 # network interfaces to serve, comma delimited network_interface=eth0 # set this to the directory you want scanned. # * if have multiple... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: jcdole
6 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Grep or sed to search, replace/insert chars!

HI All Im trying to come up with an approach to finding a string, using a portion of that string to insert it on lines starting with the value "GOTO" appending to end of line after removing PT's ( See example below! ) EXAMPLE: 1. I would like to search for the line that starts with "TLAXIS/"... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: graymj
7 Replies

9. Solaris

sed insert into line 1 via script

Hi I am trying to run a sed command within a script..unfortunately it wasn't written on Solaris so doesn't work. Can anyone help with the correct coding please? It is: sed -i '1i ROWID;ORDER_ID;JOB_NAME;ORDER_TABLE' ${OUTFILE} (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Grueben
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using sed to find and append or insert on SAME line

Hi, $ cat f1 My name is Bruce and my surname is I want to use SED to find “Bruce” and then append “ Lee” to the end of the line in which “Bruce” is found Then a more tricky one…. I want to INSERT ….a string… in to a line in which I find sometihng. So example $ cat f2 My name is... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Imre
9 Replies
XmTextSetSource(3X)													       XmTextSetSource(3X)

NAME
XmTextSetSource - A Text function that sets the source of the widget SYNOPSIS
#include <Xm/Text.h> void XmTextSetSource (widget, source, top_character, cursor_position) Widget widget; XmTextSource source; XmTextPosition top_character; XmTextPosition cursor_position; DESCRIPTION
XmTextSetSource sets the source of the Text widget. Text widgets can share sources of text so that editing in one widget is reflected in another. This function sets the source of one widget so that it can share the source of another widget. Setting a new text source destroys the old text source if no other Text widgets are using that source. To replace a text source but keep it for later use, create an unmanaged Text widget and set its source to the text source you want to keep. Specifies the Text widget ID Speci- fies the source with which the widget displays text. This can be a value returned by the XmTextGetSource(3X) function. If no source is specified, the widget creates a default string source. Specifies the position in the text to display at the top of the widget. This is an integer number of characters from the beginning of the text buffer. The first character position is 0. Specifies the position in the text at which the insert cursor is located. This is an integer number of characters from the beginning of the text buffer. The first character position is 0. For a complete definition of Text and its associated resources, see XmText(3X). SEE ALSO
XmText(3X) XmTextSetSource(3X)