Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting how to do search and replace on text files in directory Post 302281495 by siegfried on Thursday 29th of January 2009 02:59:32 AM
Old 01-29-2009
how to do search and replace on text files in directory

I was google searching and found

Perl as a command line utility tool

This almost solves my problem:

find . | xargs perl -p -i.old -e 's/oldstring/newstring/g'

I think this would create a new file for every file in my directory tree. Most of my files will not contain oldstring and I don't want to make a copy of them.

How would I filter it thru grep first so I only perform search and replace on those files that have something to replace?

Also: how do I avoid running perl on directories. I looked at the "man find" on cygwin (sorry, I'm using cygwin on windows, please don't shoot me).

I tried

/usr/bin/find . -empty -prune

but this did not omit the directory files. Is this a bug in cygwin? I don't want to run perl on my directory files!

Thanks,
Siegfried

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search and replace multi-line text in files

Hello I need to search for a mult-line text in a file exfile1 and replace that text with another text. The text to search for is in exfile2 and the replacement text is in exfile3. I work with kornshell under AIX and need to do this with a lot of files. (the file type is postscript and they need... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: marz
10 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to search and replace in multiple files in directory hierarchy

Hello all I need to search and replace in multiple files that are in directory hierarchy Im using the : find . -name "*.dsp" -print | xargs grep -n -o Test.lib" , I like to be able to replace every instance of Test.lib with empty space . how can I write one liner that does this ? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: umen
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl: Search for string on line then search and replace text

Hi All, I have a file that I need to be able to find a pattern match on a line, search that line for a text pattern, and replace that text. An example of 4 lines in my file is: 1. MatchText_randomNumberOfText moreData ReplaceMe moreData 2. MatchText_randomNumberOfText moreData moreData... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Crypto
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

search and replace a specific text in text file?

I have a text file with following content (3 lines) filename : output.txt first line:12/12/2008 second line:12/12/2008 third line:Y I would like to know how we can replace 'Y' with 'N' in the 3rd line keeping 1st and 2nd lines same as what it was before. I tried using cat output.txt... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: santosham
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Search for a text within files in a directory

I need to search for a particular string. This string might be present in many files. The directory in which I am present has more than one subdirectories. Hence, the search should check in all the subdirectories and all the corresponding files and give a list of files which have the particular... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: pakspan
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search and replace text

Hello, I am trying to search and replace but I don't know how to do it. My simple knowlegde in search and replace using sed is not helping me at all. File: its a cause value #22: dfg ggg Cause value #1: aasfa fasdf asfa value #22: affg gggg Basically i want to replace the... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: balan1983a
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search and replace text in many files

Hello, I am very new to Linux and am trying to find a way for following problem. I have a number of files in a folder as Export000.dat, Export001.dat ..and so on. Each file has a string field 'Absolute velocity'. I want it to be replaced by 'Pixel shift' in all the files. I tried something like... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: chirag.joshi
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Search and replace text

HI I have property files having content QA_server_name=10.232.54.7 QA_port_number=18000 DEV_server_name=10.235.60.73 DEV_port_number=18000 and a .jason file having content like this { "server":"localhost" "port":"17000" ------ } I will get the parameter... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mdtausifsh
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to search/replace a directory path in a file using perl

Hello All, Here is what I am trying to do and maybe you guys can point me in the right direction. I have a file that contains the following string(s): WARNING: </d1/test/program1> did not find item1 WARNING: </d1/test/program1> item1 does not exist WARNING: </d1/test/program2> item1 failed... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: maxshop
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Keyword search/replace for two text files?

What is the best way (bash/awk/sed?) to read in two text files and do a keyword search/replace? file1.txt: San Francisco Los Angeles Seattle Dallas file2.txt: I love Los Angeles. Coming to Dallas was the right choice. San Francisco is fun. Go to Seattle in the summer. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pxalpine
3 Replies
Prima::EditDialog(3)					User Contributed Perl Documentation				      Prima::EditDialog(3)

NAME
Prima::FindDialog, Prima::ReplaceDialog - standard interface dialogs to find and replace options selection. SYNOPSIS
use Prima::StdDlg; my $dlg = Prima::FindDialog-> create( findStyle => 0); my $res = $dlg-> execute; if ( $res == mb::Ok) { print $dlg-> findText, " is to be found "; } elsif ( $res == mb::ChangeAll) { print "all occurences of ", $dlg-> findText, " is to be replaced by ", $dlg-> replaceText; } The "mb::ChangeAll" constant, one of possible results of "execute" method, is defined in Prima::StdDlg module. Therefore it is recommended to include this module instead. DESCRIPTION
The module provides two classes - Prima::FindDialog and Prima::ReplaceDialog; Prima::ReplaceDialog is exactly same as Prima::FindDialog except that its default findStyle property value is set to 0. One can use a dialog-caching technique, arbitrating between findStyle value 0 and 1, and use only one instance of Prima::FindDialog. The module does not provide the actual search algorithm; this must be implemented by the programmer. The toolkit currently include some facilitation to the problem - the part of algorithm for "Prima::Edit" class is found in "find" in Prima::Edit, and the another part - in examples/editor.pl example program. Prima::HelpWindow also uses the module, and realizes its own searching algorithm. API
Properties All the properties select the user-assigned values, except findStyle. findText STRING Selects the text string to be found. Default value: '' findStyle BOOLEAN If 1, the dialog provides only 'find text' interface. If 0, the dialog provides also 'replace text' interface. Default value: 1 for "Prima::FindDialog", 0 for "Prima::ReplaceDialog". options INTEGER Combination of "fdo::" constants. For the detailed description see "find" in Prima::Edit. fdo::MatchCase fdo::WordsOnly fdo::RegularExpression fdo::BackwardSearch fdo::ReplacePrompt Default value: 0 replaceText STRING Selects the text string that is to replace the found text. Default value: '' scope One of "fds::" constants. Represents the scope of the search: it can be started from the cursor position, of from the top or of the bottom of the text. fds::Cursor fds::Top fds::Bottom Default value: "fds::Cursor" AUTHOR
Dmitry Karasik, <dmitry@karasik.eu.org>. SEE ALSO
Prima, Prima::Window, Prima::StdDlg, Prima::Edit, Prima::HelpWindow, examples/editor.pl perl v5.14.2 2009-02-24 Prima::EditDialog(3)