Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting In need of multi threaded perl assistance Post 302281312 by SandmanCL on Wednesday 28th of January 2009 03:04:26 PM
Old 01-28-2009
Thanks for your answer. I did find the join() method but what confuses me is that I can't (as far as I can tell) wait for each thread in parallell, which sort of defeats the purpose:

Quote:
foreach (@cmds) {
print "starting thread $i\n";
$thread[$i] = threads->create(\&myexec, $_);
++$i;
}

foreach (@threads) {
system("date");
print "joining ",$_->tid(),"\n";
$_->join();
print "result: ", $?,"\n";
}
In the above example, the join loop will not move past the first thread until that thread is completed.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

multi-threaded server, pthreads, sleep

I am trying to writa a multi-client & multi-threaded TCP server. There is a thread pool. Each thread in the pool will handle requests of multiple clients. But here I have a problem. I find a solution but it is not how it must be... i think. When threads working without sleep(1) I can't... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Parahat Melayev
0 Replies

2. Programming

HOWTO: Calculate the balance of work in multi-threaded app.

I was wondering if anyone could give me a good idea how to calculate how balanced the threading is on a multi-threaded application. I want a percentage, such as "threads are 80% balanced." This is the way I am currently going about it, maybe it is good, maybe not. First, whenever a thread... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: DreamWarrior
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Assistance with Perl and HTTP

I need to query a http site and then parse the xml results, this works well if I use the string in IE but I require an automated solution. I have tried using the following as well as HTTP::Request, nothing seems to work any suggestions would be appreciated, I have tried diffrnt things I found on... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: bryanthomas
7 Replies

4. AIX

multi threaded program is hanging

I have a Multithreaded program which is hanging on AIX. OS Version: AIX 5.2 and thread library version : 5.2.0.75 We Initiate the process with 50 threads..when we are disconnecting from the process it hangs.There is lots of other stuff involved here.I am just sending the piece of the problem with... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: hikrishn
0 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Multi-threaded encryption @ Fedora 11

Hello, are any of the encryption programs capable of true multi-threading ? Friend of mine tells me that he's been running some testing on Fedora 11 and that the kernel doesn't support multi-threading at that level. I've been looking into TrueCrypt, encfs and both calm to support... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: TehOne
0 Replies

6. Linux

Multi-threaded encryption @ Fedora 11

Hello, are any of the encryption programs capable of true multi-threading ? Friend of mine tells me that he's been running some testing on Fedora 11 and that the kernel doesn't support multi-threading at that level. I've been looking into TrueCrypt, encfs and both calm to support... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: TehOne
1 Replies

7. Programming

multi-threaded memory leak

Hello All : I write a .c program to test the exactually resource the memory leak as follows: 1 #include <stdio.h> 2 #define NUM 100000 3 void *Thread_Run(void * arg){ 4 //TODO 5 //pthread_datch(pthread_self()); 6 int socket= (int)arg; 7 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: aobai
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Assistance with combining, sorting and saving multi files into one new file

Good morning. I have a piece of code that is currently taking multiple files and using the CAT.exe command to combine into one file that is then sorted in reverse order based on the 3rd field of the file, then displayed on screen. I am trying to change this so that the files are being combined into... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jaacmmason
4 Replies

9. Programming

Deallocating memory in multi-threaded environment.

I'm having a hard time figuring out how to manage deallocation of memory in multithreaded environments. Specifically what I'm having a hard time with is using a lock to protect a structure, but when it's time to free the structure, you have to unlock the lock to destroy the lock itself. Which will... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gngrwzrd
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

script for multi-threaded bash processes

hey everyone, I'm having some trouble breaking down some code. It's simple a control script that takes machines meant to be backed up from a list. Then according to that will run multi-threaded processes up until the specified thread limit. for example if there are 4 machines to be backed up,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: terrell
2 Replies
PTHREAD_JOIN(3) 					     Linux Programmer's Manual						   PTHREAD_JOIN(3)

NAME
pthread_join - join with a terminated thread SYNOPSIS
#include <pthread.h> int pthread_join(pthread_t thread, void **retval); Compile and link with -pthread. DESCRIPTION
The pthread_join() function waits for the thread specified by thread to terminate. If that thread has already terminated, then pthread_join() returns immediately. The thread specified by thread must be joinable. If retval is not NULL, then pthread_join() copies the exit status of the target thread (i.e., the value that the target thread supplied to pthread_exit(3)) into the location pointed to by *retval. If the target thread was canceled, then PTHREAD_CANCELED is placed in *retval. If multiple threads simultaneously try to join with the same thread, the results are undefined. If the thread calling pthread_join() is canceled, then the target thread will remain joinable (i.e., it will not be detached). RETURN VALUE
On success, pthread_join() returns 0; on error, it returns an error number. ERRORS
EDEADLK A deadlock was detected (e.g., two threads tried to join with each other); or thread specifies the calling thread. EINVAL thread is not a joinable thread. EINVAL Another thread is already waiting to join with this thread. ESRCH No thread with the ID thread could be found. CONFORMING TO
POSIX.1-2001. NOTES
After a successful call to pthread_join(), the caller is guaranteed that the target thread has terminated. Joining with a thread that has previously been joined results in undefined behavior. Failure to join with a thread that is joinable (i.e., one that is not detached), produces a "zombie thread". Avoid doing this, since each zombie thread consumes some system resources, and when enough zombie threads have accumulated, it will no longer be possible to create new threads (or processes). There is no pthreads analog of waitpid(-1, &status, 0), that is, "join with any terminated thread". If you believe you need this function- ality, you probably need to rethink your application design. All of the threads in a process are peers: any thread can join with any other thread in the process. EXAMPLE
See pthread_create(3). SEE ALSO
pthread_cancel(3), pthread_create(3), pthread_detach(3), pthread_exit(3), pthread_tryjoin_np(3), pthreads(7) COLOPHON
This page is part of release 3.27 of the Linux man-pages project. A description of the project, and information about reporting bugs, can be found at http://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/. Linux 2008-11-27 PTHREAD_JOIN(3)