Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: A complete New Bie Here
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers A complete New Bie Here Post 302281200 by nixnoob on Wednesday 28th of January 2009 10:53:15 AM
Old 01-28-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by supercops
Can i get all the manual pages ..like the one we get using MAN command from some where.....??

Is there any link for that or does any one has that with him / her ..i will appreciate that ...because if i will do ...like..man ....command....and then print that ..it will take ages to print all the commands and discription like that .....
That's a bit of a tall order...although there are a lot of "common" commands between all the versions, there are a lot of variables that are different. Generally speaking if you learn one you can learn them all. I would recommend you pick a version of Unix/Linux you want to start learning with, install it on a computer, then look for the reference material.

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

complete newbie

ok so i am trying redhat linux and i create a partiton and install it no worries then i start and i cant access any of my other drives i can mount cd roms and floppies so i am logged in as root what i want to do is mount the following drives drive 1 ide partition 2 drive 2 to 5 seen... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: davidjk
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Auto Complete

Hi ! Can anybody please give me any clue how to set on the Auto Complete option (auto complete paths by pressing escape) in unix ? Thanks! Pablo. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cordobapablo
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

new bie questions

Hi all, I am a new bie and learning linux step by step. I am googling a lot but still unabel to find few things like below: 1. how to clean ipcs if I reboot the system it is cleaned but can I do that with out rebooting the system 2. I don't have any in side the folder /usr/src and one of my... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gauri
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

few new bie questions related to gdb , telnet

Hi All, 1. how to what is the current line we are executing. List command will display the 10 lines by default. 2. how to put a pointer to the current excuting line when executing the list. 2. if i have set one break point and i want to set 2nd break point do i need to delete the first break... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gauri
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Please complete this program.

Hi All, I need some help to complete the below script, after executing below script blank lines are coming, but i am expecting 4 digit numeric no. Please solve the issue ASAP. function portno { while (true) do random=`echo $RANDOM | cut -c 1-4` port=`netstat -a | grep -c $random` ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sridhusha
5 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

BASH complete-filename & menu-complete together

Hi, Does anyone know how to make BASH provide a list of possible completions on the first tab, and then start cycling through the possibilites on the next tab? Right now this is what I have in my .bashrc: bind "set show-all-if-ambiguous on" bind \\C-o:menu-complete This allows... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mithu
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Ps complete output

HI ALl I am creating a script where i can print ps output to find out most CPU utilised process.but in ps -ef we can get arg list only up to 80 character. ps -ef | more UID PID PPID C STIME TTY TIME CMD root 0 0 0 Feb 20 ? 0:40 sched root ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: devesh123
3 Replies

8. IP Networking

New-Bie doubt in TCP-IP 3 way hand shake

from my understanding step 1: From device A to device B , sending SYN. SYN=1 ACK=0 Ackno=0 Sequence number=2000 step 2: from device B to A , sending SYN-ACK SYN=1 ACK=1 ACKno=2001 Sequence number= 5000 Step :3 (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: baker
4 Replies
proto(4)						     Kernel Interfaces Manual							  proto(4)

NAME
proto - prototype job file for at SYNOPSIS
DESCRIPTION
When a job is submitted to or the job is constructed as a POSIX shell script (see at(1)). The job file is created in as follows: o creates a header describing the job as an job or a job. jobs submitted to all queues other than queue are listed as jobs. The header is: for an job, or for a job. o A set of POSIX shell commands is added to make the environment (see environ(5)) for the job the same as the current environment. o then copies text from the prototype file to the job file, except for special variables that are replaced by other text: Replaced by the current working directory. Replaced by the current file size limit (see ulimit(2)). Replaced by the current umask (see umask(2)). Replaced by the time at which the job should be run, expressed as seconds since January 1, 1970, 00:00 Coordinated Universal Time, preceded by a colon. Replaced by text read by from the standard input (that is, the commands provided to to be run in the job). o When a job is submitted to queue queue, uses the file as the prototype file if it exists. Otherwise, it uses the file EXAMPLES
The following file creates commands to change the current directory, file size limit, and umask in the job to their respective values as they existed when was originally run. These commands are inserted before the commands in the job: SEE ALSO
at(1), queuedefs(4). STANDARDS CONFORMANCE
proto(4)