Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How can I push an X app to the front by PID? Post 302281079 by otheus on Wednesday 28th of January 2009 06:50:25 AM
Old 01-28-2009
The X primitive you want, I believe, is "raise". Window managers (KDE, Gnome, Xface, etc) might have some customizable interface so that you can ask window with a certain title to be raise()d.

I found one command that might give you what you need... it's called wmctrl, and according to the man page you can do:
Code:
wmctrl -a rdesktop

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

printing ppid,child pid,pid

question: for the below program i just printed the value for pid, child pid and parent pid why does it give me 6 values? i assume ppid is 28086 but can't figure out why there are 5 values printed instead of just two! can someone comment on that! #include<stdio.h> #define DIM 8 int... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: a25khan
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Session PID & socket connection pid

1. If I use an software application(which connects to the database in the server) in my local pc, how many PID should be registered? Would there be PID for the session and another PID for socket connection? 2. I noticed (through netstat) that when I logged in using the my software application,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pcx26
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need to get pid of a process and have to store the pid in a variable

Hi, I need to get the pid of a process and have to store the pid in a variable and i want to use this value(pid) of the variable for some process. Please can anyone tell me how to get the pid of a process and store it in a variable. please help me on this. Thanks in advance, Amudha (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: samudha
7 Replies

4. Linux

FTP push

Hi I am trying to send a file form one linux server into an another linux server. I cannot do ftp get. Can anyone please assist me how can I push the file to the other server ? Thanks. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sureshcisco
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Rsync push or pull?

We have a cluster of 3 web servers. I'll be updating a single master server and copying info to the other 2 slave servers. What's the best way of synching all of them? Run rsync on each of the slave servers to pull the updates from the master? Or run rsync on the master to push the updates to the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gaspol
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to Push Files

Hey Guys, Thanks for always being helpful, I have another issue that I need a little insight on how to fix. See the below script I have and the error I get. I don't understand why it does that, am I not using the continue correctly? #!/bin/bash -x # @(#) File: filepush.sh #... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gkelly1117
5 Replies

7. Programming

Wuhan Coronavirus Status App for China - Rapid Prototype using MQTT and the IoT OnOff IOS App

With a little bit of work, was able to build a nice "Wuhan Coronavirus Status" app using MQTT and the IoT-OnOff app. More on this technique here: ESP32 (ESP-WROOM-32) as an MQTT Client Subscribed to Linux Server Load Average Messages The result turned out nice, I think. I like the look and... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neo
10 Replies
PIDOF(8)						Linux System Administrator's Manual						  PIDOF(8)

NAME
pidof -- find the process ID of a running program. SYNOPSIS
pidof [-s] [-c] [-n] [-x] [-o omitpid[,omitpid..]] [-o omitpid[,omitpid..]..] program [program..] DESCRIPTION
Pidof finds the process id's (pids) of the named programs. It prints those id's on the standard output. This program is on some systems used in run-level change scripts, especially when the system has a System-V like rc structure. In that case these scripts are located in /etc/rc?.d, where ? is the runlevel. If the system has a start-stop-daemon (8) program that should be used instead. OPTIONS
-s Single shot - this instructs the program to only return one pid. -c Only return process ids that are running with the same root directory. This option is ignored for non-root users, as they will be unable to check the current root directory of processes they do not own. -n Avoid stat(2) system function call on all binaries which are located on network based file systems like NFS. Instead of using this option the the variable PIDOF_NETFS may be set and exported. -x Scripts too - this causes the program to also return process id's of shells running the named scripts. -o omitpid Tells pidof to omit processes with that process id. The special pid %PPID can be used to name the parent process of the pidof pro- gram, in other words the calling shell or shell script. EXIT STATUS
0 At least one program was found with the requested name. 1 No program was found with the requested name. NOTES
pidof is actually the same program as killall5; the program behaves according to the name under which it is called. When pidof is invoked with a full pathname to the program it should find the pid of, it is reasonably safe. Otherwise it is possible that it returns pids of running programs that happen to have the same name as the program you're after but are actually other programs. Note that that the executable name of running processes is calculated with readlink(2), so symbolic links to executables will also match. SEE ALSO
shutdown(8), init(8), halt(8), reboot(8), killall5(8) AUTHOR
Miquel van Smoorenburg, miquels@cistron.nl 01 Sep 1998 PIDOF(8)