Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Comparing 2 files and return the unique lines in first file Post 302281052 by shekhar_v4 on Wednesday 28th of January 2009 05:33:10 AM
Old 01-28-2009
Comparing 2 files and return the unique lines in first file

Hi,

I have 2 files

file1
01-05-09|java.xls|
02-05-08|c.txt|
08-01-09|perl.txt|
01-01-09|oracle.txt|

file2
01-02-09|windows.xls|
02-05-08|c.txt|
01-05-09|java.xls|
08-02-09|perl.txt|
01-01-09|oracle.txt|

I have to compare these 2 files and return the different lines lines in file1.

Output Expected
08-01-09|perl.txt|

I have tried with diff & comm commands but nothing is giving exact output.

Thanks

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

comparing 2 text files to get unique values??

Hi all, I have got a problem while comparing 2 text files and the result should contains the unique values(Non repeatable). For eg: file1.txt 1 2 3 4 file2.txt 2 3 So after comaping the above 2 files I should get only 1 and 4 as the output. Pls help me out. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: smarty86
7 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

return a list of unique values of a column from csv format file

Hi all, I have a huge csv file with the following format of data, Num SNPs, 549997 Total SNPs,555352 Num Samples, 157 SNP, SampleID, Allele1, Allele2 A001,AB1,A,A A002,AB1,A,A A003,AB1,A,A ... ... ... I would like to write out a list of unique SNP (column 1). Could you... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: phoeberunner
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Getting non unique lines from concatenated files

Hi All, Is there a way to get NON unique lines from 2 or more concatenated files? Basically I have several files which are very similar with the exception of few lines and I want to find out which lines are different in each file. Very simple example is file1 contains: 1 2 3 4 5file2... (122 Replies)
Discussion started by: pawannoel
122 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

In a huge file, Delete duplicate lines leaving unique lines

Hi All, I have a very huge file (4GB) which has duplicate lines. I want to delete duplicate lines leaving unique lines. Sort, uniq, awk '!x++' are not working as its running out of buffer space. I dont know if this works : I want to read each line of the File in a For Loop, and want to... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: krishnix
16 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Comparing files and capture return code

Hi, I would like to compare 2 files, and have a return code write to a file. regardless of the files contents are the same the code should be writing to a file (if both files contents are same then return code 0). A simple example will be great :) Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: khchong
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

getting unique lines from 2 files

hi i have used comm -13 <(sort 1.txt) <(sort 2.txt) option to get the unique lines that are present in file 2 but not in file 1. but some how i am getting the entire file 2. i would expect few but not all uncommon lines fro my dat. is there anything wrong with the way i used the command? my... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: anurupa777
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

compare 2 files and return unique lines in each file (based on condition)

hi my problem is little complicated one. i have 2 files which appear like this file 1 abbsss:aa:22:34:as akl abc 1234 mkilll:as:ss:23:qs asc abc 0987 mlopii:cd:wq:24:as asd abc 7866 file2 lkoaa:as:24:32:sa alk abc 3245 lkmo:as:34:43:qs qsa abc 0987 kloia:ds:45:56:sa acq abc 7805 i... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: anurupa777
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Comparing 2 text files & downloading a file if the last lines are different

Hello I'm having a little difficulty in writing a shell script for a few simple tasks. First I have two files "file1.txt" and "file2.txt" and I want to read and compare the last line of each file. The files look like this. File1.txt File2.txt After comparing the two lines I would... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: RustikGaming
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using grep and a parameter file to return unique values

Hello Everyone! I have updated the first post so that my intentions are easier to understand, and also attached sample files (post #18). I have over 500 text files in a directory. Over 1 GB of data. The data in those files is organised in lines: My intention is to return one line per... (23 Replies)
Discussion started by: clippertm
23 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Scripting | Return list of unique characters in files

Hi, I am trying to script the below, but I am not very good at it :( Your help would be greatly appreciated. 1. read all files in the directory in strings strings *.* 2. in each file, for each line that contains "ABCD", store characters located at position 521 and 522 of this line... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: clippertm
9 Replies
XCLIP-COPYFILE(1)					      General Commands Manual						 XCLIP-COPYFILE(1)

NAME
xclip-copyfile, xclip-cutfile, xclip-pastefile - copy and move files via the X clipboard SYNOPSIS
xclip-copyfile [-p] FILES... xclip-cutfile [-p] FILES... xclip-pastefile DESCRIPTION
xclip-copyfile copies files into the X clipboard, recursing into directories. xclip-cutfile copies the files, but also deletes them afterwards. -p preserve path formation xclip-pastefile pastes the files out of the clipboard EXAMPLES
Copying a file to a remote host [maggie.lkpg.cendio.se ~]$ echo "A file created on ${HOSTNAME}" > file1 [maggie.lkpg.cendio.se ~]$ xclip-copyfile file1 [sofie.homeip.net ~/doc]$ xclip-pastefile file1 [sofie.homeip.net ~/doc]$ cat file1 A file created on maggie.lkpg.cendio.se Copying an entire tree structure [sofie.homeip.net ~]$ xclip-copyfile doc [maggie.lkpg.cendio.se ~/tmp]$ xclip-pastefile doc/ doc/letter-mom-april.txt doc/file1 doc/letter-dad-march.txt Copying files with preserved path information [maggie.lkpg.cendio.se ~]$ xclip-copyfile -p /etc/sysconfig/grub tar: Removing leading `/' from member names [sofie.homeip.net ~/tmp]$ xclip-pastefile etc/sysconfig/grub [sofie.homeip.net ~/tmp]$ ls etc/sysconfig/grub etc/sysconfig/grub Moving files [sofie.homeip.net ~]$ ls letter-brother-may.txt letter-brother-may.txt [sofie.homeip.net ~]$ xclip-cutfile letter-brother-may.txt [sofie.homeip.net ~]$ ls letter-brother-may.txt ls: cannot access letter-brother-may.txt: No such file or directory [sofie.homeip.net ~]$ cd doc [sofie.homeip.net ~/doc]$ xclip-pastefile letter-brother-may.txt AUTHORS
This manual page was written by Maximilian Gass <mxey@cloudconnected.org> for the Debian project. It may be used for everything else, of course. XCLIP-COPYFILE(1)