Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting cat file1 read line-per-line then grep -A 15 lines down in fileb Post 302281050 by irongeekio on Wednesday 28th of January 2009 05:30:29 AM
Old 01-28-2009
Thanks so much quirkasaurus. Your first reply was very helpfull thanks. The hint to use more is great. YOU THE MAN...

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

using 'cat' to in 'while read line'

Hi, I'm having some trouble reading a file that was 'cat' through a while loop. Can anyone suggest alternatives? what i do is cat filename|grep *.stuff while read line do echo $line ... and other commands done The cat,grep line seems to work correctly, but the script hangs when i add in... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: chugger06
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare multiple fields in file1 to file2 and print line and next line

Hello, I have two files that I need to compare and print out the line from file2 that has the first 6 fields matching the first 6 fields in file1. Complicating this are the following restrictions 1. file1 is only a few thousand lines at most and file2 is greater than 2 million 2. I need to... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: gillesc_mac
7 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

how do you parse 1 line at a time of file1 ie. line(n) each line into new file

File 1 <html>ta da....unique file name I want to give file=>343...</html> <html>da ta 234 </html> <html>pa da 542 </html> and so on... File 2 343 234 542 and so on, each line in File 1 one also corresponds with each line in File 2 I have tried several grep, sed, while .. read, do,... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: web_developer
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash: read file line by line (lines have '\0') - not full line has read???

I am using the while-loop to read a file. The file has lines with null-terminated strings (words, actually.) What I have by that reading - just a first word up to '\0'! I need to have whole string up to 'new line' - (LF, 10#10, 16#A) What I am doing wrong? #make file 'grb' with... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: alex_5161
6 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Find a value inside file1 and replace it with another value from another fileB

i have a file with some data and i need replace a perticular value with some other value from another another file req: file1.txt abc,idle.txt,1234 file2.txt 5678 now the requirement is need to replace the "idle.txt" is with "mike_5678" here 5678 from file2.txt... file2.txt contains only... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dssyadav
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using regex's from file1, print line and line after matches in file2

Good day, I have a list of regular expressions in file1. For each match in file2, print the containing line and the line after. file1: file2: Output: I can match a regex and print the line and line after awk '{lines = $0} /Macrosiphum_rosae/ {print lines ; print lines } ' ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pathunkathunk
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Match single line in file1 to groups of lines in file2

I have two files. File 1 is a two-column index file, e.g. comp11084_c0_seq6:130-468(-) comp12746_c0_seq3:140-478(+) comp11084_c0_seq3:201-539(-) comp12746_c0_seq2:191-529(+) File 2 is a sequence file with headers named with the same terms that populate file 1. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pathunkathunk
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need a program that read a file line by line and prints out lines 1, 2 & 3 after an empty line...

Hello, I need a program that read a file line by line and prints out lines 1, 2 & 3 after an empty line... An example of entries in the file would be: SRVXPAPI001 ERRO JUN24 07:28:34 1775 REASON= 0000, PROCID= #E506 #1065: TPCIPPR, INDEX= 003F ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ferocci
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read the file line by line and do something with lines

I have a file file_name_O.txt The file can have different number of other files names or nothing I will check cnt=`wc -l file_name_0.txt` if ;then exit 1 fi Now I have to start checking file names, i.e. read txt file line by line. If amount of ,lines equal 1, I can... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: digioleg54
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Get an output of lines in pattern 1st line then 10th line then 11th line then 20th line and so on.

Input file: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sagar Singh
6 Replies
setmaillist(1)						      General Commands Manual						    setmaillist(1)

NAME
setmaillist - create a binary mailing list SYNOPSIS
setmaillist bin tmp DESCRIPTION
setmaillist reads a mailing list from its standard input. setmaillist writes the mailing list in a binary format to tmp; it then moves tmp to bin. tmp and bin must be on the same filesystem. If there is a problem creating tmp, setmaillist complains and leaves bin alone. The binary mailing list format is portable across machines. setmaillist always creates bin world-readable. MAILING LIST FORMAT
The mailing list read by setmaillist is a series of lines. NUL bytes are not allowed. If a line begins with a dot or slash, setmaillist takes the entire line as an include file name. If a line begins with an ampersand, setmaillist takes the rest of the line as a recipient address. If a line begins with a letter or num- ber, setmaillist takes the entire line as a recipient address. Each recipient address must include a fully qualified domain name. Recipi- ent addresses longer than 800 bytes are not allowed. setmaillist ignores blank lines and lines beginning with #. It also ignores spaces and tabs at the ends of lines. For example, god@heaven.af.mil djb@silverton.berkeley.edu is a mailing list with two addresses. SEE ALSO
setforward(1), newinclude(1), printmaillist(1) setmaillist(1)