Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Auto XP partion restore
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Auto XP partion restore Post 302280916 by JerryHone on Tuesday 27th of January 2009 08:05:20 PM
Old 01-27-2009
Can you use the /etc/init.d startup scripts area, although I'm not sure if this would not allow the user to respond.

Running the script from /etc/profile should evoke it at login for all users, or from .profile for specific users.

Alternatively, maybe try creating a user with your script as its defined shell in /etc/passwd. This is what I used to do to get my kids to shutdown my Linux box properly after they'd been playing games...I told them to login as "shutdown" which was a user with no password but with a shutdown script defined in passwd.

Jerry

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Partion size

hi, just need to know the disk size and the partition size on machine.pls let me know how to do that.is their a way i can get to know the size of directory.like /,/var...etc. thanx (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: saood
2 Replies

2. Linux

Doing stuff to files on a NTFS partion from linux

I have a 50GB section of my hard drive on which I've kept all my music, movies and more back from when I had Windows. When I'm in linux it says that the NTFS section is a read only section. Is it possible to copy, rename, add, move or delete any files off of this section? I'm trying to get rid... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: CTroxtell21
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Partion Magic problems.

Hiya people, A great big "HI" to everybody. I'm new to the Forum and now to my problem(s). I am about to partition my only 80GB HD and using the Partition Magic 8 software it looks fairly simple although here is my problem :- 1. Do I change the new partition to primary or logical? 2. Do I... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Syndrome_00
4 Replies

4. Solaris

How to create on partion from 2 disks?

Hi everyone :b: I'm glade to join this forum and I have one question I installed latest Solaris 10 release on SF V480 with 2 73 GB disks 8 GB RAM 4 CPU's My configuration is 10GB for root, 8GB for Swap and 12GB for var. I mirrored root, so disk 1 has 40GB free of space and disk 2 has... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: HishamN
11 Replies

5. AIX

mksysb restore - Wrong OS level for restore

Hi all, I am still working on my mksysb restore. My latest issue is during an alt_disk_install from tape I got the following error after all the data had been restored. 0505-143 alt_disk_install: Unable to match mksysb level 5.2.0 with any available boot images. Please correct this... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: pobman
0 Replies

6. Linux

Centos 5 install. Partion order

I can't control the partion order during install. For example i need. hda5 /var 1GB hda6 /opt 2GB I created them in such order but OS adjust them to hda5 /opt 2GB hda6 /var 1GB It is frustrating during install, I pretty sure I can order the partion as i like... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: honglus
0 Replies

7. Solaris

unable to boot afer restoring root partion manages by veritas

Hi all, After restoring the / FS on a netra 240. It is unable to boot the system. The message displayed is the following: "The file just loaded does not appear to be executable" Bellow, the content of /etc/vfstab before restoring: #more /etc/vfstab... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: faberarnold
0 Replies

8. AIX

How to know exactly which physical partion contains data?

/dev/fslv01 5.00 2.90 42% 776 1% /movelv_testfslv01:/movelv_test LP PP1 PV1 PP2 PV2 PP3 PV3 0001 0175 hdisk1 0111 hdisk0 0002 0176 hdisk1 0112 hdisk0 0003 0177 hdisk1 0113 hdisk0... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: bobochacha29
10 Replies
machid(1)							   User Commands							 machid(1)

NAME
machid, sun, iAPX286, i286, i386, i486, i860, pdp11, sparc, u3b, u3b2, u3b5, u3b15, vax, u370 - get processor type truth value SYNOPSIS
sun iAPX286 i386 pdp11 sparc u3b u3b2 u3b5 u3b15 vax u370 DESCRIPTION
The following commands will return a true value (exit code of 0) if you are using an instruction set that the command name indicates. sun True if you are on a Sun system. iAPX286 True if you are on a computer using an iAPX286 processor. i386 True if you are on a computer using an iAPX386 processor. pdp11 True if you are on a PDP-11/45tm or PDP-11/70tm. sparc True if you are on a computer using a SPARC-family processor. u3b True if you are on a 3B20 computer. u3b2 True if you are on a 3B2 computer. u3b5 True if you are on a 3B5 computer. u3b15 True if you are on a 3B15 computer. vax True if you are on a VAX-11/750tm or VAX-11/780tm. u370 True if you are on an IBM(R) System/370tm computer. The commands that do not apply will return a false (non-zero) value. These commands are often used within makefiles (see make(1S)) and shell scripts (see sh(1)) to increase portability. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
make(1S), sh(1), test(1), true(1), uname(1), attributes(5) NOTES
The machid family of commands is obsolete. Use uname -p and uname -m instead. SunOS 5.11 5 Jul 1990 machid(1)