Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users What do you call the > thingy in context of the shell? Post 302280906 by theninja on Tuesday 27th of January 2009 07:21:43 PM
Old 01-27-2009
What do you call the > thingy in context of the shell?

I can't for the life of me remember what the name is for ">"
My mentor told it to me 20 years ago and I can't remember it now. I know we like to call it re-direct, but there was a name othere than that he used.
During a recent training session, someone cut and paste from a file that just happened to have the prompt included >./runthisscript.sh
yep, zero'd out the script. I want to discuss this tomorrow in class. Does anyone know what this might have been called back in the day?

Thanks

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Call Telnet From Within A Shell?

Hi there, I got a big problem. For one of our customers I did a website (php) that connects to another machine "A" (server) to machine "B" via expect. Now he wants that after the the connection with "B" is established, a telnet connection to "C" is opened, and some commands are executed.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tubbietoeter
2 Replies

2. Linux

a good XP file veiwing thingy for Fedora

does anyone know where i can find somthing that will let me read my XP folder withing Fedora Core? :D (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: xcaliber
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

how can i call one korn shell from a shell

Hi guys, please help me I have a ksh script (second picture down), in that script I define the function DATECALC. Now I want to use this function KSH in a program shell. How can I call this ksh from my shell program? My shell program is... in the first two lines I tried to call... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: acevallo
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Script to call another function

Here is the following code : 1. # gcc -c test firstprog.c the above command will generate a executable file called "test " in which ever directory it is run. Assuming It will also return a value. 2. In the below SCRIPT . test is a file generated by compiling a c program... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vabiosis
3 Replies

5. Red Hat

how to call a particular function from one shell another shell script

please help me in this script shell script :1 *********** >cat file1.sh #!/bin/bash echo "this is first file" function var() { a=10 b=11 } function var_1() { c=12 d=13 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ponmuthu
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Call

Can someone help me figure out how to call a c program from this shell script? I want to echo a #9 option and have it call and execute a c file called dmcc.c. #!/bin/sh # dmc.sh #clear # display menu   while : do echo "1. Display date and time." echo "2. Display what users are doing."... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jiro
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to call a function in Shell..?

#!/bin/bash FUN_ECHO(){ echo $1 } FUN_ECHO "hi how are you ?" This code will work fine. BUT is it possible to make the following to work ? FUN_ECHO "hi how are you ?" FUN_ECHO(){ echo $1 } I know that the code will be executed line by line. But i have a number of... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: linuxadmin
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Opening Child Shell & Executing a script in the same context

Hi, Is the below possible (SHELL = tcsh)? -- I want to write an 'alias' something like this - alias set_my_work "setenv SOME_VAR;tcsh -i;source work_script.cshrc" The intention is to run this alias and enter a child shell, at the same time ensuring that the work_script.cshrc is source-ed.... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: mishra.a.c
0 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Questions related to if in awk context and if without awk context

I wrote this code, questions follow #! /bin/bash -f # Purpose - to show how if syntax is used within an awk clear; ls -l; echo "This will print out the first two columns of the inputted file in this directory"; echo "Enter filename found in this directory"; read input; ... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: Seth
11 Replies
sylseg-sk-training(1)						   USER COMMANDS					     sylseg-sk-training(1)

NAME
sylseg-sk-training - train the statistic for the syllabic segmentation SYNOPSIS
sylseg-sk-training [--color] [--dl debug level] [--help] [<input file>] DESCRIPTION
The sylabic segmentation is esential for some linguistic or speech recognition applications. Depending on the language either rule based or statistical approach is beying used. For Slovak the statistical approach seems to be more suitable. sylseg-sk-training creates the necessary data for one of the statistical approaches for the syllabic segmentaion. The input data are expected to be word segmented into syllables. The syllabic separator should be "-". If no input file is specified, the standard input is expected. The output is written in to the file. The filename is input filename with the extension ".statistics". If standard input is used, then the output filename is syl_output.statistics. The design of the sylseg-sk-training is language independent. Theoretically it should work for any language. OPTIONS
--color Enable color output. --dl Set the debug level. Control the amount of displayed information The debug level 0 displays nothing. The maximum level 5 displays full debugging report. The default debug level is 1. --help display a short help text EXAMPLES
Use file aaa.txt as training input and set up debug level to 3: sylseg-sk-training --dl 3 aaa.txt EXIT STATUS
sylseg-sk-training returns a zero if the training succeeds AUTHOR
Jozef Ivanecky (dodo (at) kanoistika.sk) SEE ALSO
sylseg-sk(1) version 0.4 September 9, 2006 sylseg-sk-training(1)