Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting how do i look for my .bashrc file Post 302280860 by just4fundoit on Tuesday 27th of January 2009 05:14:57 PM
Old 01-27-2009
You dont need a execute on the .bashrc as long as you have read permission what ever commands you put inside it will be executed at login if you are having bash as your login shell.
Peace

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

from bashrc to sh..??

:) as soon as i installed my software a couple of weeks ago.. (fedora core 2 vs, 2.6.8-1.521) i decided to switch the shell to sh shell and i know that .bashrc is the bash profile file(???) i want to use the sh version of the same file and make it the main profile file.. how can I switch it and... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: moxxx68
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

.bashrc file is an initialization file run by each interactive invocation

I search the web and found the following statements ..... The /etc/profile file is a system wide initialization script which is run at login time for each user, while .profile is the users own login initialization. The .bashrc file is an initialization file run by each interactive invocation... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cy163
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Can I modify the .bashrc file instead of .profile file to customize my login?

Hello, I got this question which tells me to customize my login script. Some people in the forums suggested to modify the .profile file in my home directory. I did so, but none of my customizations show up when I open the terminal after. So, I tried to modify other files in my home directory,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Hyunkel
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

bashrc

i have made a few changes to my bashrc file...have set a few environmental variable that my shell scripts use. Is there any way that these changes can reflect in evryone else's bashrc who are in the network or do all of them have to copy those changes to their own bashrc file. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lassimanji
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

.bashrc file

Hi experts, I am using bash shell and I cant find any .bashrc file in my home dir. Can anybody please help me out here.... If .bashrc file is not there, from where my shell config operates? Also I want to set my prompt like... $ Please advice. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gentleDean
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

bashrc not saving changes

I am trying to do some changes at bashrc file located at /etc directory of my server. First I tried to edit bashrc via FTP downloaded on my pc changed it and loaded back, but it seems like changes are not reflecting. Therefore I tried to change it via putty shel using vim bashrc command. but... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ninadgac
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Modifying the .bashrc

I have modified the .bashrc. The problem is that when I write a long command, it does not write on the next line but continues to write on the same line. # ~/.bashrc: executed by bash(1) for non-login shells. # see /usr/share/doc/bash/examples/startup-files (in the package bash-doc) # for... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kristinu
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Bashrc File - Conditional Command Execution?

Hello All, I was wondering if there is a way to execute a command in my ".bashrc" file based on how I logged into the PC? I was thinking maybe there is a way to check how the user (*myself) logged in, maybe somehow with the who command along with something else, but I'm not sure... I know I... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrm5102
7 Replies

9. OS X (Apple)

A system deletes my .bashrc file

It deletes my .bashrc file rarely but predictability after some unknown count of Mac's restarts. Has someone ever faced such behavior? How do I prevent OS X from modifying .bashrc? What ownership/permission should I set up to not let it happen? OS X Lion. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: scrutinizerix
6 Replies
OPENVT(1)							     Linux 1.x								 OPENVT(1)

NAME
openvt - start a program on a new virtual terminal (VT). SYNOPSIS
openvt [-c vtnumber] [-s] [-u] [-l] [-v] [--] command command_options DESCRIPTION
openvt will find the first available VT, and run on it the given command with the given command options, standard input, output and error are directed to that terminal. The current search path ($PATH) is used to find the requested command. If no command is specified then the environment variable $SHELL is used. OPTIONS -c vtnumber Use the given VT number and not the first available. Note you must have write access to the supplied VT for this to work. -f Force opening a VT without checking whether it is already in use. -e Directly execute the given command, without forking. This option is meant for use in /etc/inittab. If you want to use this feature in another context, be aware that openvt has to be a session leader in order for -e to work. See setsid(2) or setsid(1) on how to achieve this. -s Switch to the new VT when starting the command. The VT of the new command will be made the new current VT. -u Figure out the owner of the current VT, and run login as that user. Suitable to be called by init. Shouldn't be used with -c or -l. -l Make the command a login shell. A - is prepended to the name of the command to be executed. -v Be a bit more verbose. -w wait for command to complete. If -w and -s are used together then openvt will switch back to the controlling terminal when the com- mand completes. -- end of options to openvt. NOTE
If openvt is compiled with a POSIX (GNU) getopt() and you wish to set options to the command to be run, then you must supply the end of options -- flag before the command. EXAMPLES
openvt can be used to start a shell on the next free VT, by using the command: openvt bash To start the shell as a login shell, use: openvt -l bash To get a long listing you must supply the -- separator: openvt -- ls -l HISTORY
Earlier, openvt was called open. It was written by Jon Tombs <jon@gtex02.us.es or jon@robots.ox.ac.uk>. The -w idea is from "sam". SEE ALSO
chvt(1), doshell(8), login(1) 19 Jul 1996 V1.4 OPENVT(1)