Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Putting echoed text into a new file Post 302280855 by likelylad on Tuesday 27th of January 2009 05:04:01 PM
Old 01-27-2009
thanks!

so if I had several lines of echoed text, I'd put that after after line? Or after the whole block?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

putting restrictions when copying file

I would like to create a command to copy a file with a restriction- if the file exists at the copy destination, the copy does not occur and message is provided that file already exists. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: thoffpauir
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

putting a timestamp in a file

I was sure there was a way to put a timestamp ina logfile but I can't seem to figure out how. What I would like to do is after the last messages in the rptmgr.err log is put a timestamp so I know the next time I look whats new. I am using AIX 5.1 any help will great Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rocker40
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

echoed prompt not appearing until after read command.

I have a script I am runing on a hacked CDLinux live CD called from /etc/rc.d/rc.local. The part of th script in question goes like this. When run from rc.local the prompt "Centre name :" and the colour change does not appear until after I type the input text and press return. Also, I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: simonb
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Putting screen output in a log file

I want to output screen messages to a logfile when executing an automated script. I have tried the script and command to do this but with no luck. Thanks, Nicole (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: nsutti
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Capturing text & putting it in different variables

Dear friends, I have following text in a variable. /backup/rem1/10122010/res From this value of variable i want to take each text in different variables e.g. a=backup b=rem1 c=10122010 d=res please guide me to do so. Thank you in advance Anushree (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: anushree.a
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Putting together all values from different files in one file

Hi All, This is what I am trying to achieve but to no avail. I have three sets of files which are: 1. One big dictionary file which looks like this: apple orange computer pear country 2. Some thousands of text files which are named as 1.dat, 2.dat, 3.dat etc The text files... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shoaibjameel123
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

execution of a string being echoed in bash

hi all, I am trying to do a loop on a series of plotting function shown below: colorlist=(blue red green); n=0; for k in $xy; do psbasemap $range -JM$scale -B10g5 -X1 -Y1 -P -K > $outfile pscoast $range -JM$scale -B10g5 -D$res -P -W$lwidth -G$fill -O -K >> $outfile echo... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ida1215
1 Replies

8. Programming

PHP Echoed in Ajax

I have built a site in PHP for radio station, and the daily schedule is displayed dynamically using PHP script. I have added links to view different days but when it loads up its just loading up a new page. I can't quite remember how I done it but I'd like it to be in ajax if that's... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: AimyThomas
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Putting a separator in file using awk/bash

I have a file with the following content: a-123-345-232 a-23343-4545-545 a-67676-45454-8787 a-129-8912-9824 b-564-78678-2322 b-5454-76767-8899 b-85554-124-152-29 c-34534-654543-323 (... and so on, actually these are pretty huge records) Now, I want that the file should not be broken in to... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: askerbis
8 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help in sorting the file and putting to a different folder

Hi, I am new to unix. Kindly help me on this. My requirement is as below: I have a path temp/input , temp/CL and temp/CM I have files in temp/input as below (dates in YYYYMMDDHHMISS) NMP1515O.CL.20181026111213 NMP1515O.CM.20181025111213 ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shanmugapriya D
4 Replies
fmt(1)							      General Commands Manual							    fmt(1)

NAME
fmt - format text SYNOPSIS
width] [file...] DESCRIPTION
The command is a simple text formatter that fills and joins lines to produce output lines of (up to) the number of characters specified in the width option. The default width is 72. concatenates the arguments. If none are given, formats text from the standard input. Blank lines are preserved in the output, as is the spacing between words. does not fill lines beginning with a period for compatibility with Nor does it fill lines starting with Indentation is preserved in the output and input lines with differing indentation are not joined (unless is used). can also be used as an in-line text filter for the command: reformats the text between the cursor location and the end of the paragraph. Options recognizes the following options: Crown margin mode. Preserve the indentation of the first two lines within a paragraph and align the left margin of each subsequent line with that of the second line. This is useful for tagged paragraphs. Split lines only. Do not join short lines to form longer ones. This prevents sample lines of code, and other such "formatted" text, from being unduly combined. Fill output lines to up to width columns. WARNINGS
The width option is acceptable for BSD compatibility, but it may go away in future releases. SEE ALSO
nroff(1), vi(1). fmt(1)