Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting cat in the command line doesn't match cat in the script Post 302280778 by shira on Tuesday 27th of January 2009 02:27:12 PM
Old 01-27-2009
cat in the command line doesn't match cat in the script

Hello,

So I sorted my file as I was supposed to:

Code:
sort -n -r -k 2 -k 1 file1 | uniq > file2

and when I wrote
Code:
> cat file2

in the command line, I got what I was expecting, but in the script itself

Code:

sort -n -r -k 2 -k 1 averages | uniq > temp
cat file2

It wrote a whole different thing, why is that?

Thanks,
Shira.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

using 'cat' to in 'while read line'

Hi, I'm having some trouble reading a file that was 'cat' through a while loop. Can anyone suggest alternatives? what i do is cat filename|grep *.stuff while read line do echo $line ... and other commands done The cat,grep line seems to work correctly, but the script hangs when i add in... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: chugger06
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cat'ing a multiple line file to one line

I am writing a script that is running a loop on one file to obtain records from another file. Using egrep, I am finding matching records in file b, then outputing feilds of both into another file. **************************** filea=this.txt fileb=that.txt cat $filea | while read line do... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: djsal
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Difference between cat , cat > , cat >> and touch !!!

Hi Can anybody tell the difference between Difference between cat , cat > , cat >> and touch command in UNIX? Thanks (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: skyineyes
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

cat file1 read line-per-line then grep -A 15 lines down in fileb

STEP 1 # Set variable FILE=/tmp/mainfile SEARCHFILE =/tmp/searchfile # THIS IS THE MAIN FILE. cat /tmp/mainfile Interface Ethernet0/0 "outside", is up, line protocol is up Hardware is i82546GB rev03, BW 100 Mbps Full-Duplex(Full-duplex), 100 Mbps(100 Mbps) MAC address... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: irongeekio
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using cat to match pattern start with particular date.

Hi All, version :- SunOS rdrsu1 5.10 Generic_142900-12 sun4u sparc SUNW,SPARC-Enterprise I have a requirenemet, where I have to extrace eroror start with ORA-, which match a perticular date. In below text I only extract out error coming on wed-8 and start with text like "ORA-". hope you... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: alok.behria
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

for loop with whole line using cat

Hi all, I need to create loop script to read full line and append a variable to each line. cat file I need the output like below 10.0.0.1,136 1 24 048800 id N4 No_Light 10.0.0.1,137 1 25 048900 id N4 No_Light 10.0.0.1,140 1 28 048c00 id N4 No_Light 10.0.0.1,262 1 38 048e80... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: ranjancom2000
13 Replies

7. AIX

Script to cat and dd last line!!! of each file

hi Guys, Am new to this awesome forum, and yea i need some help here asap thnx :) i have a directory with over 34000 text files, i need a script that will delete the last line of each of this file without me necessary opening the files. illustration:- file1 200 records file2 130 records... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: eetang
5 Replies

8. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Cat command does not respect new line

Here's my script echo "1" >>hello.txt echo "2" >>hello.txt echo "3" >>hello.txt mailx -s "Check Status" #myteam@mycomp.com<hello.txt In Outlook I see EMail body as when I want it to be can you please suggest ? (29 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
29 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script: "mkdir -p" doesn't work with var(cat x)

Hello, :) I've an issue with the creation of a directory, All work without it :mad: So, below, my scripts with the debug output : #!/bin/bash # PATHS HOME_BACKUP="/home/backup" HOME_SCRIPT="/home/scripts/test/backup_server" TARGET="/var/www" # DATE DATE_Ymd=$(date +%Y-%m-%d) #... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Arnaudh78
1 Replies
JOIN(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   JOIN(1)

NAME
join - relational database operator SYNOPSIS
join [ options ] file1 file2 DESCRIPTION
Join forms, on the standard output, a join of the two relations specified by the lines of file1 and file2. If one of the file names is the standard input is used. File1 and file2 must be sorted in increasing ASCII collating sequence on the fields on which they are to be joined, normally the first in each line. There is one line in the output for each pair of lines in file1 and file2 that have identical join fields. The output line normally con- sists of the common field, then the rest of the line from file1, then the rest of the line from file2. Input fields are normally separated spaces or tabs; output fields by space. In this case, multiple separators count as one, and leading separators are discarded. The following options are recognized, with POSIX syntax. -a n In addition to the normal output, produce a line for each unpairable line in file n, where n is 1 or 2. -v n Like -a, omitting output for paired lines. -e s Replace empty output fields by string s. -1 m -2 m Join on the mth field of file1 or file2. -jn m Archaic equivalent for -n m. -ofields Each output line comprises the designated fields. The comma-separated field designators are either 0, meaning the join field, or have the form n.m, where n is a file number and m is a field number. Archaic usage allows separate arguments for field designators. -tc Use character c as the only separator (tab character) on input and output. Every appearance of c in a line is significant. EXAMPLES
sort /adm/users | join -t: -a 1 -e "" - bdays Add birthdays to password information, leaving unknown birthdays empty. The layout of is given in users(6); bdays contains sorted lines like tr : ' ' </adm/users | sort -k 3 3 >temp join -1 3 -2 3 -o 1.1,2.1 temp temp | awk '$1 < $2' Print all pairs of users with identical userids. SOURCE
/sys/src/cmd/join.c SEE ALSO
sort(1), comm(1), awk(1) BUGS
With default field separation, the collating sequence is that of sort -b -ky,y; with -t, the sequence is that of sort -tx -ky,y. One of the files must be randomly accessible. JOIN(1)