Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting File Move Based on 1st Character of File Name Post 302280525 by srdconsulting on Tuesday 27th of January 2009 07:19:43 AM
Old 01-27-2009
File Move Based on 1st Character of File Name

I need some help with a unix script to mv image files to subdirectories based on the 1st character of the filename. See example below...

/images/main

1191.jpg
9999.jpg
A101.jpg
A102.jpg
B201.jpg
c333.jpg
Z999.jpg

I would like to move to the following:

/images/main/1/1191.jpg
/images/main/9/9999.jpg
/images/main/a/A101.jpg
/images/main/a/A102.jpg
/images/main/b/B201.jpg
/images/main/c/c333.jpg
/images/main/z/Z999.jpg

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to copy/move to a file with a special character as the 1st char in the filename?

I am trying to create files with special characters in its filenames for testing purposes. This is on a Linux RHEL4 but this should also be applicable on a Unix shell. I am able to create files with special characters in the filenames...e.g. cp -pv foo.gif \*special.gif cp -pv foo.gif \... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sqa777
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to move a file based on size

Hi All, I have some files in a directory. If the file size is 0 i want to move the file to new directory using unix script. Can anyone help me in this regard Thanks Vinny (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vinny81
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Move file based on filename

Hi All I need a script to manipulate files based on a filename: example filename: 66600_042706.pdf the script will create a directory 66000 only if this directory is not existing. If that directory is existing it will just move the file to 66000/666000_042706.pdf in addition, i want to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: aemestech
4 Replies

4. Fedora

Move file based time stamp

Hi all, I've already tired to try to solved this problem. Also search in Internet didn't find anything solution I have a directory like this : # pwd /opt/projects/juventini # ls -al | more total 3627460 drwxr-xr-x 2 app apps 12472320 Sep 24 14:59 . drwxr-xr-x 11 app apps 4096 Jun... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: sunardo
8 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Move input file based on condition

Hello, I have File1 in a directory A, a File2 in a directory B. If the File2 is not empty Then I have to move File1 from directory A to a directory archive Else no action. Is it possible to do this from one command line? Thank you in advance for your answers. Madi (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: AngelMady
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

File character adjustment based on specific character

i have a reqirement to adjust the data in a file based on a perticular character the sample data is as below 483PDEAN CORRIGAN 52304037528955WAGES 50000 89BP ABCD MASTER352 5434604223735428 4200 58BP SOUTHERN WA848 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pema.yozer
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to replace character in a file based on another file.?

Hi Gurus, I have really hard job need you guys to help. i have two files one is data file, one is instruction file like below 0000000010000233154825032720204abc BC15 0000000010000233154825032720204defg DB15 1 9 o 10 6 r 16 5 o 21 10 r 31 the requirement is based... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ken6503
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

File Move based on date

how to move file based on date in linux (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: syedzoniac
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need to combine two lines in a file based on first character of each line in a file

Hi, I have a requirement where I need to combine two lines in a file based on first character of each line in a file. Please find the sample content of the file below: Code: _______________________ 5, jaya, male, 4-5-90, single smart 6, prakash, male, 5-4-84, married fair 7, raghavi,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jayaP
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Need to combine two lines in a file based on first character of each line in a file

Hi, I have a requirement where I need to combine two lines in a file based on first character of each line in a file. Please find the sample content of the file below: Code: _______________________ 5, jaya, male, 4-5-90, single smart 6, prakash, male, 5-4-84, married fair 7, raghavi,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jayaP
1 Replies
IGREP(1)						      General Commands Manual							  IGREP(1)

NAME
igrep - search images for matching metadata SYNOPSIS
igrep [options] pattern files... DESCRIPTION
The igrep utility is invoked as follows: igrep [options] pattern filename... Where pattern is a POSIX.2 regular expression (just like the Unix/Linux grep(1) command), and filename (and any following names) specify images or directories that should be searched. An image file will "match" if any of its metadata contains values contain substring that are recognized regular expression. The image files may be of any format recognized by OpenImageIO (i.e., for which ImageInput plugins are available). Example: $ igrep Jack *.jpg bar.jpg: Keywords = Carly; Jack foo.jpg: Keywords = Jack test7.jpg: ImageDescription = Jack on vacation For a complete description, see /usr/share/doc/libopenimageio-dev/openimageio.pdf.gz. OPTIONS
--help Print help message -i Ignore upper/lower case distinctions -v Invert match (select non-matching files) -E Pattern is an extended regular expression -f Match against file name as well as metadata -l List the matching files (no detail) -r Recurse into directories -d Print directories (when recursive) -a Search all subimages of each file SEE ALSO iconvert(1), idiff(1), iinfo(1), iprocess(1), iv(1), maketx(1), oiiotool(1). AUTHOR
OpenImageIO was written by Larry Gritz and the other authors and contributors. This manual page was written by IRIE Shinsuke <irieshinsuke@yahoo.co.jp>, for the Debian project (and may be used by others). May 19, 2012 IGREP(1)