Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: updates only
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting updates only Post 302280490 by shantanuo on Tuesday 27th of January 2009 04:54:15 AM
Old 01-27-2009
updates only

Hi,
I have a file called Data-today.Txt that is updated every 5 minutes.

# cat '/root/Desktop/window/'`date +%b%Y`'/Data-'`date +%d%m%y`'.Txt' > /root/temp.txt

I want to read it every hour and findout the changes and process only those lines added since the last check.
I tried diff but did not get what I want.

At 9:56 A. M. the file looked:
This is line one
This is line two

At 10:00 A. M. I processed these two lines.

At 10:05 A. M. the original file will look like:
This is line one
This is line two
This is line three

at 11:00 A. M. I want to process only the newly added line i.e.
This is line three

Any help will be appreciated.

Regards,
Shantanu Oak

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

unix updates- Where can I find unix updates online for IBM servers?

I have a Unix based server running Sagitta and the server is giving me an error of 4b10004 and my research tells me this is an EPROM issue, which means the processor needs to be flashed or repaired. Once up and running where can I go to get updates for Unix? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: crainer
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

multiple updates

Hi all, I would like to perform multiple updates within a single database open and close. Box: solaris dB: informix This is how i do perform for single update dbaccess <dbname> -<<EOF update table1 set col1=1 where col2=1 EOF i have the col1 values in a file (some 1000 values)... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: matrixmadhan
1 Replies

3. Red Hat

RedHat Updates

All, I'm updating my redhat servers by directly connecting to internet (redhat network). After I connecting to the internet, I see some packages in package updater.I'm trying to do update but its stucking up when it is starting updating the server. Any ideas. Thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: s_linux
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

CentOS updates

hello all I Installed CenTOS 5.5 and i've Run yum update command every thing went smoothly but i got the following error at the end 6:kdebase-3.5.4-21.el5.centos.1.i386: Insufficient space in download directory /var/cache/yum/updates/packages * free 6.0 M * needed 28 M ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: abu_shiahb
2 Replies

5. Fedora

Installing updates

Hi, Im using Fedora version 23 (latest upgrade and upates). Currently to receive the updates, I use: su -c 'yum update' This works fine, but I get: yum command has been deprecated, redirecting to '/usr/bin/dnf update'. See 'man dnf' and 'man yum2dnf' for more information. To... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Janning
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cron updates

This cmd will update the user's crontab with the quoted line. But how to script the update using a previously stored variable? crontab -l | awk '{print} END {print "* * * * * echo test >> /tmp/testing"}' | crontab crontab -l | awk '{print} END {print "$storedvariable"}' | crontab Does not... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gtsonoma
3 Replies

7. HP-UX

Software updates?

On Hp-ux,I'm not talking about security patches.But free products like SecureShell. How to know if update is avaliable?On Solaris11 is possible using pkg update. On hpux?Some tool to check for outdated products and tell if new version is avaliable? ---------- Post updated at 03:24 AM... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Linusolaradm1
1 Replies
bdiff(1)							   User Commands							  bdiff(1)

NAME
bdiff - big diff SYNOPSIS
bdiff filename1 filename2 [n] [-s] DESCRIPTION
bdiff is used in a manner analogous to diff to find which lines in filename1 and filename2 must be changed to bring the files into agree- ment. Its purpose is to allow processing of files too large for diff. If filename1 (filename2) is -, the standard input is read. bdiff ignores lines common to the beginning of both files, splits the remainder of each file into n-line segments, and invokes diff on cor- responding segments. If both optional arguments are specified, they must appear in the order indicated above. The output of bdiff is exactly that of diff, with line numbers adjusted to account for the segmenting of the files (that is, to make it look as if the files had been processed whole). Note: Because of the segmenting of the files, bdiff does not necessarily find a smallest sufficient set of file differences. OPTIONS
n The number of line segments. The value of n is 3500 by default. If the optional third argument is given and it is numeric, it is used as the value for n. This is useful in those cases in which 3500-line segments are too large for diff, causing it to fail. -s Specifies that no diagnostics are to be printed by bdiff (silent option). Note: However, this does not suppress possible diagnos- tic messages from diff, which bdiff calls. USAGE
See largefile(5) for the description of the behavior of bdiff when encountering files greater than or equal to 2 Gbyte ( 2**31 bytes). FILES
/tmp/bd????? ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWesu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |CSI |enabled | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
diff(1), attributes(5), largefile(5) DIAGNOSTICS
Use help for explanations. SunOS 5.10 14 Sep 1992 bdiff(1)