Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: updates only
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting updates only Post 302280490 by shantanuo on Tuesday 27th of January 2009 04:54:15 AM
Old 01-27-2009
updates only

Hi,
I have a file called Data-today.Txt that is updated every 5 minutes.

# cat '/root/Desktop/window/'`date +%b%Y`'/Data-'`date +%d%m%y`'.Txt' > /root/temp.txt

I want to read it every hour and findout the changes and process only those lines added since the last check.
I tried diff but did not get what I want.

At 9:56 A. M. the file looked:
This is line one
This is line two

At 10:00 A. M. I processed these two lines.

At 10:05 A. M. the original file will look like:
This is line one
This is line two
This is line three

at 11:00 A. M. I want to process only the newly added line i.e.
This is line three

Any help will be appreciated.

Regards,
Shantanu Oak

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

unix updates- Where can I find unix updates online for IBM servers?

I have a Unix based server running Sagitta and the server is giving me an error of 4b10004 and my research tells me this is an EPROM issue, which means the processor needs to be flashed or repaired. Once up and running where can I go to get updates for Unix? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: crainer
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

multiple updates

Hi all, I would like to perform multiple updates within a single database open and close. Box: solaris dB: informix This is how i do perform for single update dbaccess <dbname> -<<EOF update table1 set col1=1 where col2=1 EOF i have the col1 values in a file (some 1000 values)... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: matrixmadhan
1 Replies

3. Red Hat

RedHat Updates

All, I'm updating my redhat servers by directly connecting to internet (redhat network). After I connecting to the internet, I see some packages in package updater.I'm trying to do update but its stucking up when it is starting updating the server. Any ideas. Thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: s_linux
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

CentOS updates

hello all I Installed CenTOS 5.5 and i've Run yum update command every thing went smoothly but i got the following error at the end 6:kdebase-3.5.4-21.el5.centos.1.i386: Insufficient space in download directory /var/cache/yum/updates/packages * free 6.0 M * needed 28 M ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: abu_shiahb
2 Replies

5. Fedora

Installing updates

Hi, Im using Fedora version 23 (latest upgrade and upates). Currently to receive the updates, I use: su -c 'yum update' This works fine, but I get: yum command has been deprecated, redirecting to '/usr/bin/dnf update'. See 'man dnf' and 'man yum2dnf' for more information. To... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Janning
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cron updates

This cmd will update the user's crontab with the quoted line. But how to script the update using a previously stored variable? crontab -l | awk '{print} END {print "* * * * * echo test >> /tmp/testing"}' | crontab crontab -l | awk '{print} END {print "$storedvariable"}' | crontab Does not... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gtsonoma
3 Replies

7. HP-UX

Software updates?

On Hp-ux,I'm not talking about security patches.But free products like SecureShell. How to know if update is avaliable?On Solaris11 is possible using pkg update. On hpux?Some tool to check for outdated products and tell if new version is avaliable? ---------- Post updated at 03:24 AM... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Linusolaradm1
1 Replies
cmx(8)							      System Manager's Manual							    cmx(8)

Name
       cmx - generic communication exerciser

Syntax
       /usr/field/cmx [ -h ] [ -ofile ] [ -tn ] -l line-1 ...

Description
       The  exerciser will write, read, and validate random data and packet lengths on a given communications line.  The line under test must have
       a loopback connector attached to the distribution panel or the cable and the line must be disabled in the file and a non-modem line.   That
       is, the flag must be set to off.

The exerciser runs until or kill -15 pid is sent to the process.

A  logfile  is  made  in for you to examine and then remove.  If there are errors listed in the logfile, make sure that you check the file,
       because that is where the driver and kernel error messages are saved.

You must specify the -l flag followed by the lines to test.  The line-n arguments identify the lines to be tested.  A maximum of  32  lines
       can  be	tested	at  any  one time.  The line-n arguments are specified as names taken from the directory without the letters ``tty''.  For
       example, if the directory lists tty03, the line argument is 03.

The DEVICES section lists the devices that can be tested.

Restrictions
       If there is a need to run a system exerciser over an NFS link or on a diskless system there are some  restrictions.   For  exercisers  that
       need  to  write into a file system, such as the target file system must be writable by root.  Also the directory, in which any of the exer-
       cisers are executed, must be writable by root because temporary files are written into the current directory.   These  latter  restrictions
       are sometimes difficult to overcome because often NFS file systems are mounted in a way that prevents root from writing into them.  Some of
       the restrictions may be overcome by copying the exerciser to another directory and then executing it.

Options
       -h     Prints help message about this command.

-ofile Save output diagnostics in file.

-tn    Run time in minutes (n).	The default is to run until a or kill -15 pid is sent to the process.

Restrictions
       Pseudo devices (those whose first character after tty is p, q, r, s, t, u) cannot be tested.  Neither can lta devices with major #39.

Devices
       Use the command on to find out which tty line corresponds to a device line number.

Examples
       The following example runs the exerciser for 60 minutes on lines 00, 13, 22, and 32.
       % /usr/field/cmx -t60 -l 00 13 22 32
       The following example runs the exerciser on lines 11, 42, 45, and 76 in the background until interrupted by a or kill -15 pid.
       % /usr/field/cmx -l 11 42 45 76 &

See Also
       Guide to System Exercisers

cmx(8)