Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Reading and printing one by one contents of a file Post 302280457 by zaxxon on Tuesday 27th of January 2009 02:27:23 AM
Old 01-27-2009
Code:
while read LINE; do
   cat "${LINE}"
done < infile

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading specific contents from a file and appending it to another file

Hi, I need to write a shell script (ksh) to read contents starting at a specific location from one file and append the contents at specific location in another file. Please find below the contents of the source file that I need to read the contents from, File 1 -----# more... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: dnicky
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help in reading a file horizontally and printing vertically

Hi Every body, I have file which has enttries, with each 5 entries as a set of entries, I would like to read the file (line by line) and print five entries of a set vertically, the next entry should come in the next line. Example: cat sample_file I am a Unix Adminsitrator new to shell... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: aruveiv
6 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Printing File Contents Using AWK

I want to print the contents of a file from 2nd line to last but one line using the AWK command. I tried using the Shell Script,MyScript as fallows: MyScript: { if(NR>1) { if(NR<9) { print $0 } } } and used the commnd : awk -f MyScript Filename Note: Filename contains 9 lines text.... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ashok.g
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading file contents until a keyword

Hi Guys, I need to read a file until I find a blank line. and in the next iteration I want to continue reading from the line I find a keyword. For ex: my file looks like PDS_JOB_ALIAS CRITERIA_ITEM_TYPE PDS_JOB_CRITERIA_ITEM CRITERIA_ITEM_TYPE First I want to read the file... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: infintenumbers
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Printing the contents of a file in a script with added chars

I have the contents of file1 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 i'm trying to figure out how to add chars to them so it would display as this, if it's possible 1 . 2 . 3 \ 4 . 5 . 6 \ 7 . 8 . 9 \ thanks! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: austing5
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Looping/Reading file contents not working

Hi, I am doing something basic, but I am missing something. Im trying to read the contents of a file and taking those values and connecting to a database. However, it only connect to one (or reads in) value and then exists. Here is what it looks like: listname.txt db1 db2 db3 Script:... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: DBnixUser
15 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading the contents of the file and splitting using ksh

We're using a ksh script for installing one product. I've another config file, I'd need to read this configuration file from my main script Content of the Configuration file:... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bittu129
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract both contents from a html file and do printing

Hi there, Print IP Address: grep 'HostID :' 10.244.9.124\ nessus.html | awk -F '<br>' '{print $12}' | tr -s ' ' | awk -F ':' '{print "<tr><td>" $2 "</td><td>"}' Print Respective Ports: grep 'classsubsection\|./tcp\|./udp' 10.244.9.124\ nessus.html | grep -v 'h2.classsubsection... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: alvinoo
3 Replies

9. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

sed replace file contents by reading from another file

Hello, My input file1 is like this by tab-delimited chr1 mm10_knownGene stop_codon 3216022 3216024 0.000000 - . gene_id "uc007aeu.1"; transcript_id "uc007aeu.1"; chr1 mm10_knownGene CDS 3216025 3216968 0.000000 - 2 gene_id "uc007aeu.1"; transcript_id "uc007aeu.1"; ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jacobs.smith
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh Script, Reading A File, Grepping A File Contents In Another File

So I'm stumped. First... APOLOGIES... my work is offline in an office that has zero internet connectivity, as required by our client. If need be, I could print out my script attempts and retype them here. But on the off chance... here goes. I have a text file (file_source) of terms, each line... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Brusimm
3 Replies
XML::Smart::Tutorial(3pm)				User Contributed Perl Documentation				 XML::Smart::Tutorial(3pm)

NAME
XML::Smart::Tutorial - Tutorial and examples for XML::Smart. SYNOPSIS
This document is a tutorial for XML::Smart and shows some examples of usual things. Working with contents: In XML::Smart the key CONTENT is reserved and shouldn't be used directly, since XML::Smart will deal with the convertion of arguments to node contents, including multiple node contents autimatically. What happens when you set a value: $xml->{root}{foo} = 'simple value' ; Here foo will be a normal argument/attribute value, and will generate this XML data: <root foo="simple value"/> But if you insert some tag or lines in the values by default XML::Smart will convert it to a node content: $xml->{root}{foo} = "line0 lien1 line2 " ; And will generate that XML data: <root> <foo>line0 lien1 line2 </foo> </root> But what you can do if you want to force some type, let's say, have a node content with a simple value: $xml->{root}{foo} = 'simple value' ; $xml->{root}{foo}->set_node(1) ; And will generate that XML data: <root> <foo>simple value</foo> </root> Multiple contents: When you have interpolated content/data you need to work in a different. Let's say that you load this XML data: <root> content0 <tag1 arg="1"/> content1 </root> If you access directly the root key as string you will get all the content parts grouped. So, this code: my $xml = new XML::Smart(q` <root> content0 <tag1 arg="1"/> content1 </root> `,'smart') ; print "#$xml->{root}#" ; Will print that: # content0 content1 # To access each part of the content independently you should use an array that receive the method content(): my @content = $xml->{root}->content ; print "#$content[0]# " ; And this will print that: # content0 # Now to set the multiple content values you should use the method content() with 2 arguments: $xml->{root}->content(0,'new content') ; And now the XML data produced will be: <root>new content<tag1 arg="1"/> content1 </root> If you use the method content() with only one argument it will remove all the multiple contents and will set the new value in the place of the 1st content. Setting the XML Parser. By defaul XML::Smart will use XML::Parser or XML::Smart::Parser (in this order of preference) to load a XML data. To force or define by your self the parser you can use the 2nd argument option when creating a XML::Smart object: my $xml = new XML::Smart( 'some.xml' , 'XML::Parser' ) ; ## and my $xml = new XML::Smart( 'some.xml' , 'XML::Smart::Parser' ) ; XML::Smart also has an extra parser, XML::Smart::HTMLParser, that can be used to load HTML as XML, or to load wild XML data: my $xml = new XML::Smart( 'some.xml' , 'XML::Smart::HTMLParser' ) ; Aliases for the parser options: SMART|REGEXP => XML::Smart::Parser HTML => XML::Smart::HTMLParser So, you can use as: my $xml = new XML::Smart( 'some.xml' , 'smart' ) ; my $xml = new XML::Smart( 'some.xml' , 'html' ) ; Customizing the Parser. You can customize the way that the parser will treat the XML data: Forcing nodes/tags and arguments/attributes to lowercase or upercase: ## For lower case: my $xml = new XML::Smart( 'some.xml' , lowtag => 1 , lowarg => 1 , ) ; ## For uper case: my $xml = new XML::Smart( 'some.xml' , upertag => 1 , uperarg => 1 , ) ; Loading arguments without values (flags) as a TRUE boolean: ** Note, this option will work only when the XML is parsed by XML::Smart::HTMLParser, since only it accept arguments without values! my $xml = new XML::Smart( '<root><foo arg1="" flag></root>' , 'XML::Smart::HTMLParser' , arg_single => 1 , ) ; Here's the tree of the example above: 'root' => { 'foo' => { 'flag' => 1, 'arg1' => '' }, }, Customizing the parse events: XML::Smart can redirect the parsing process to personalized functions: my $xml = XML::Smart->new( 'some.xml' , on_start => &on_start , on_char => &on_char , on_end => &on_end , ) ; sub on_start { my ( $tag , $pointer , $pointer_back ) = @_ ; $pointer->{$tag}{type_user} = 1 if $tag =~ /(?:name|age)/ ; } sub on_char { my ( $tag , $pointer , $pointer_back , $content) = @_ ; $$content =~ s/s+/ /gs ; } sub on_end { my ( $tag , $pointer , $pointer_back ) = @_ ; $pointer->{$tag}{type_extra} = 1 if $tag =~ /(?:more|tel|address)/ ; } AUTHOR
Graciliano M. P. <gm@virtuasites.com.br> I will appreciate any type of feedback (include your opinions and/or suggestions). ;-P Enjoy and thanks for who are enjoying this tool and have sent e-mails! ;-P ePod This document was written in ePod (easy-POD), than converted to POD, and from here you know the way. perl v5.10.1 2004-12-08 XML::Smart::Tutorial(3pm)