Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Reading and printing one by one contents of a file Post 302280457 by zaxxon on Tuesday 27th of January 2009 02:27:23 AM
Old 01-27-2009
Code:
while read LINE; do
   cat "${LINE}"
done < infile

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading specific contents from a file and appending it to another file

Hi, I need to write a shell script (ksh) to read contents starting at a specific location from one file and append the contents at specific location in another file. Please find below the contents of the source file that I need to read the contents from, File 1 -----# more... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: dnicky
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help in reading a file horizontally and printing vertically

Hi Every body, I have file which has enttries, with each 5 entries as a set of entries, I would like to read the file (line by line) and print five entries of a set vertically, the next entry should come in the next line. Example: cat sample_file I am a Unix Adminsitrator new to shell... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: aruveiv
6 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Printing File Contents Using AWK

I want to print the contents of a file from 2nd line to last but one line using the AWK command. I tried using the Shell Script,MyScript as fallows: MyScript: { if(NR>1) { if(NR<9) { print $0 } } } and used the commnd : awk -f MyScript Filename Note: Filename contains 9 lines text.... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ashok.g
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading file contents until a keyword

Hi Guys, I need to read a file until I find a blank line. and in the next iteration I want to continue reading from the line I find a keyword. For ex: my file looks like PDS_JOB_ALIAS CRITERIA_ITEM_TYPE PDS_JOB_CRITERIA_ITEM CRITERIA_ITEM_TYPE First I want to read the file... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: infintenumbers
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Printing the contents of a file in a script with added chars

I have the contents of file1 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 i'm trying to figure out how to add chars to them so it would display as this, if it's possible 1 . 2 . 3 \ 4 . 5 . 6 \ 7 . 8 . 9 \ thanks! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: austing5
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Looping/Reading file contents not working

Hi, I am doing something basic, but I am missing something. Im trying to read the contents of a file and taking those values and connecting to a database. However, it only connect to one (or reads in) value and then exists. Here is what it looks like: listname.txt db1 db2 db3 Script:... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: DBnixUser
15 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading the contents of the file and splitting using ksh

We're using a ksh script for installing one product. I've another config file, I'd need to read this configuration file from my main script Content of the Configuration file:... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bittu129
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract both contents from a html file and do printing

Hi there, Print IP Address: grep 'HostID :' 10.244.9.124\ nessus.html | awk -F '<br>' '{print $12}' | tr -s ' ' | awk -F ':' '{print "<tr><td>" $2 "</td><td>"}' Print Respective Ports: grep 'classsubsection\|./tcp\|./udp' 10.244.9.124\ nessus.html | grep -v 'h2.classsubsection... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: alvinoo
3 Replies

9. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

sed replace file contents by reading from another file

Hello, My input file1 is like this by tab-delimited chr1 mm10_knownGene stop_codon 3216022 3216024 0.000000 - . gene_id "uc007aeu.1"; transcript_id "uc007aeu.1"; chr1 mm10_knownGene CDS 3216025 3216968 0.000000 - 2 gene_id "uc007aeu.1"; transcript_id "uc007aeu.1"; ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jacobs.smith
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh Script, Reading A File, Grepping A File Contents In Another File

So I'm stumped. First... APOLOGIES... my work is offline in an office that has zero internet connectivity, as required by our client. If need be, I could print out my script attempts and retype them here. But on the off chance... here goes. I have a text file (file_source) of terms, each line... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Brusimm
3 Replies
XML_PP(1p)						User Contributed Perl Documentation						XML_PP(1p)

NAME
xml_pp - xml pretty-printer SYNOPSYS
xml_pp [options] [<files>] DESCRIPTION
XML pretty printer using XML::Twig OPTIONS
-i[<extension>] edits the file(s) in place, if an extension is provided (no space between "-i" and the extension) then the original file is backed-up with that extension The rules for the extension are the same as Perl's (see perldoc perlrun): if the extension includes no "*" then it is appended to the original file name, If the extension does contain one or more "*" characters, then each "*" is replaced with the current filename. -s <style> the style to use for pretty printing: none, nsgmls, nice, indented, record, or record_c (see XML::Twig docs for the exact description of those styles), 'indented' by default -p <tag(s)> preserves white spaces in tags. You can use several "-p" options or quote the tags if you need more than one -e <encoding> use XML::Twig output_encoding (based on Text::Iconv or Unicode::Map8 and Unicode::String) to set the output encoding. By default the original encoding is preserved. If this option is used the XML declaration is updated (and created if there was none). Make sure that the encoding is supported by the parser you use if you want to be able to process the pretty_printed file (XML::Parser does not support 'latin1' for example, you have to use 'iso-8859-1') -l loads the documents in memory instead of outputing them as they are being parsed. This prevents a bug (see BUGS) but uses more memory -f <file> read the list of files to process from <file>, one per line -v verbose (list the current file being processed) -- stop argument processing (to process files that start with -) -h display help EXAMPLES
xml_pp foo.xml > foo_pp.xml # pretty print foo.xml xml_pp < foo.xml > foo_pp.xml # pretty print from standard input xml_pp -v -i.bak *.xml # pretty print .xml files, with backups xml_pp -v -i'orig_*' *.xml # backups are named orig_<filename> xml_pp -i -p pre foo.xhtml # preserve spaces in pre tags xml_pp -i.bak -p 'pre code' foo.xml # preserve spaces in pre and code tags xml_pp -i.bak -p pre -p code foo.xml # same xml_pp -i -s record mydb_export.xml # pretty print using the record style xml_pp -e utf8 -i foo.xml # output will be in utf8 xml_pp -e iso-8859-1 -i foo.xml # output will be in iso-8859-1 xml_pp -v -i.bak -f lof # pretty print in place files from lof xml_pp -- -i.xml # pretty print the -i.xml file xml_pp -l foo.xml # loads the entire file in memory # before pretty printing it xml_pp -h # display help BUGS
Elements with mixed content that start with an embedded element get an extra <elt><b>b</b>toto<b>bold</b></elt> will be output as <elt> <b>b</b>toto<b>bold</b></elt> Using the "-l" option solves this bug (but uses more memory) TODO
update XML::Twig to use Encode with perl 5.8.0 AUTHOR
Michel Rodriguez <mirod@xmltwig.com> perl v5.12.4 2011-05-18 XML_PP(1p)