Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: grow /var size how
Operating Systems Linux SuSE grow /var size how Post 302280264 by upengan78 on Monday 26th of January 2009 11:18:08 AM
Old 01-26-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by csorhand
upengan78,

You still have a lot of unused disk space.

You have two PV's combined space of "201.96 GB" in a VG called "system" and you have free 145.96 GB. You can try this command to extend the reiser without unmounting.

#lvextend -L+7G /dev/system/var_lv
#resize_reiserfs -s+7G -f /dev/system/var_lv

Note that the command set to 7 GB to /var as /var already has 3 GB(10GB that you want to allocate right?). Or if you want to make it bigger.

Cheers!

csorhand, you are awsome! worked like charm! I have got now /var extended on the fly. Thanks for your kind help! I appreciate it.Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

/var size is increasing day by day

Hi experts, I am facing a big problem. i use solaris 9. i found size of /var is increasing day by. snapshot of a yester moring- /dev/vx/dsk/var 15G 14G 1.1G 94% /var snapshot of a yesterday everning- /dev/vx/dsk/var 15G 14G 824M 95% /var I am... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: thepurple
11 Replies

2. Solaris

sometime /var/adm/messages size 0

Hi experts, sometimes i notice in my Solaris 9 /var/adm/messages size 0. It continues for 1/2 days then again /var/adm/messages is start filling up with logs!!! What could be reason behind it. and if its a problem what could be the solution. //purple (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: thepurple
1 Replies

3. Solaris

diff b/w /var/log/syslog and /var/adm/messages

hi sirs can u tell the difference between /var/log/syslogs and /var/adm/messages in my working place i am having two servers. in one servers messages file is empty and syslog file is going on increasing.. and in another servers message file is going on increasing but syslog file is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tv.praveenkumar
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Limiting User mailbox size in /var/spool

How can one limit the size of user mailboxes in /var/spool/mail? (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: proactiveaditya
0 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help to Grow the Size of volume

I have a 146Gb drive and want to grow the size from 12G to the max available left. I think 20G is being used so I want to max out from 12 G to 126G. Is this possible? Can you help with the command. root@WRPDWI6k-BU # df -h Filesystem size used avail... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: udubya
3 Replies

6. AIX

/var/adm/wtmp - few entries & huge size.

Hi all. I have a strange case on one of my AIX boxes. /var/adm/wtmp on server01 is ~ 400MB large but it only has ~1200 lines. For example on server02 there are ~85000 lines and the file is ~158MB large. I check lines through 'last | wc -l'. But when I check line directly with 'wc -l... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: robroy
2 Replies

7. Solaris

Difference between /var/log/syslog and /var/adm/messages

Hi, Is the contents in /var/log/syslog and /var/adm/messages are same?? Regards (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vks47
3 Replies

8. Red Hat

How to reduce inode size of /var?

Hi, inode size reached its 100% in /var Due to this i'am getting the error No space left on device my crond process is stopped and when i want to restart it it is showing the below error Starting crond: crond: can't open or create /var/run/crond.pid: No space left on device df -i o/p ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mohamed Thamim
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Csh , how to set var value into new var, in short string concatenation

i try to find way to make string concatenation in csh ( sorry this is what i have ) so i found out i can't do : set string_buff = "" foreach line("`cat $source_dir/$f`") $string_buff = string_buff $line end how can i do string concatenation? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: umen
1 Replies

10. Fedora

/var/log/btmp size 2.2Gb daily

Hello, One Fedora server is facing the issue that daily /var/log/btmp grows to 2.2Gb or more. I need your help to determine the cause and isolate it. Thank you! (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: feroccimx
6 Replies
LVEXTEND(8)						      System Manager's Manual						       LVEXTEND(8)

NAME
lvextend - extend the size of a logical volume SYNOPSIS
lvextend [--alloc AllocationPolicy] [-A|--autobackup y|n] [-d|--debug] [-h|-?|--help] [--noudevsync] [-i|--stripes Stripes [-I|--stripesize StripeSize]] {-l|--extents [+]LogicalExtentsNumber[%{VG|LV|PVS|FREE|ORIGIN}] | -L|--size [+]LogicalVolumeSize[bBsSkKmMgGtTpPeE]} [-t|--test] [-v|--verbose] LogicalVolumePath [PhysicalVolumePath[:PE[-PE]]...] DESCRIPTION
lvextend allows you to extend the size of a logical volume. Extension of snapshot logical volumes (see lvcreate(8) for information to cre- ate snapshots) is supported as well. But to change the number of copies in a mirrored logical volume use lvconvert(8). OPTIONS
See lvm for common options. --noudevsync Disable udev synchronisation. The process will not wait for notification from udev. It will continue irrespective of any possible udev processing in the background. You should only use this if udev is not running or has rules that ignore the devices LVM2 cre- ates. -l, --extents [+]LogicalExtentsNumber[%{VG|LV|PVS|FREE|ORIGIN}] Extend or set the logical volume size in units of logical extents. With the + sign the value is added to the actual size of the logical volume and without it, the value is taken as an absolute one. The number can also be expressed as a percentage of the total space in the Volume Group with the suffix %VG, relative to the existing size of the Logical Volume with the suffix %LV, of the remaining free space for the specified PhysicalVolume(s) with the suffix %PVS, as a percentage of the remaining free space in the Volume Group with the suffix %FREE, or (for a snapshot) as a percentage of the total space in the Origin Logical Volume with the suffix %ORIGIN. -L, --size [+]LogicalVolumeSize[bBsSkKmMgGtTpPeE] Extend or set the logical volume size in units of megabytes. A size suffix of M for megabytes, G for gigabytes, T for terabytes, P for petabytes or E for exabytes is optional. With the + sign the value is added to the actual size of the logical volume and with- out it, the value is taken as an absolute one. -i, --stripes Stripes Gives the number of stripes for the extension. Not applicable to LVs using the original metadata LVM format, which must use a sin- gle value throughout. -I, --stripesize StripeSize Gives the number of kilobytes for the granularity of the stripes. Not applicable to LVs using the original metadata LVM format, which must use a single value throughout. StripeSize must be 2^n (n = 2 to 9) Examples "lvextend -L +54 /dev/vg01/lvol10 /dev/sdk3" tries to extend the size of that logical volume by 54MB on physical volume /dev/sdk3. This is only possible if /dev/sdk3 is a member of volume group vg01 and there are enough free physical extents in it. "lvextend /dev/vg01/lvol01 /dev/sdk3" tries to extend the size of that logical volume by the amount of free space on physical volume /dev/sdk3. This is equivalent to specifying "-l +100%PVS" on the command line. "lvextend -L+16M vg01/lvol01 /dev/sda:8-9 /dev/sdb:8-9" tries to extend a logical volume "vg01/lvol01" by 16MB using physical extents /dev/sda:8-9 and /dev/sdb:8-9 for allocation of extents. SEE ALSO
lvm(8), lvcreate(8), lvconvert(8), lvreduce(8), lvresize(8), lvchange(8) Sistina Software UK LVM TOOLS 2.02.67(2) (2010-06-04) LVEXTEND(8)