Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers lost /home/directory for users Post 302280003 by blizzgamer on Sunday 25th of January 2009 01:06:21 PM
Old 01-25-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by nixnoob
It's probably not in the "default" location (/home/<username>). Depending on the purpose of the server, the administrators preferences, or the purpose for the user to log in, the /home/<username> directory could be anywhere. There might be a good reason it's not where you are expecting it to be.

I'm guessing you're not the original server admin or am I reading this wrong?
Also just a guess, you're using ssh to log in right?

When you log in and do pwd, what do you get?

You can cat /etc/passwd |grep <username> to see where the person's home directory is located. Or just cat /etc/passwd to see the entire passwd file.

You could also do a sudo find / -name <username> and the system will show you the exact directory where that user's home is.

I wouldn't "map" the home directories since that can cause some issues.
I think somehow the server path got dismounted.

the serverA has: /Home/<directory>
workstationB connecting to serverA does not see the directory.

The user can logon to other workstations without any problems.
I'm thinking that the server is not connected to the server.

Thanks for your help.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Monitor which users enter my home directory

Hi, I would like to monitor which users enter my home directory. Is it possible to write a script or code to do this. I donot have admin privileges. I have given read permissions to access my home directory. Any pointers in this direction is helpful! Thanks, Pradeep Ps: I use the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mnpradeep
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Profiles for users without home directory

Hi I want to know which profile will be called when a user without home directory is created. When I created a user without home directory(by setting in /etc/default/useradd), the user is able to login directly into the main "/" folder but with only read permissions. Thanks naina (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: naina
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Home Directory Jail for Users

Hi, I am looking for a shell script (or any other way), that puts a user in a home directory jail. So for example, I have a user named richard and I don't want him wandering outside /usr/users/richard. I don't want him to cd to anywhere including cd .. Somebody said you can do that with... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mz043
3 Replies

4. Solaris

lost home directory

The home directory for a very important user ie prdadm in my system is missing. the files were not deleted but seem to disapper after I had configured /etc/hosts.equiv file. Though I undid the changes later on nothing seems to be the same . As a result I can't log in as the user prdadm. I get... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Msororaji
4 Replies

5. Solaris

Common Home directory for different users??

Hi Guys, I have a problem with configuring a server. this is a solaris 10 with sparc platform. I have setup so that the server is Authenticating through NIS but I dont want the server to Mount the Home directories. The users need to logged in through the CDE/display. I have over 200 users... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Luky
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

about the access permission of users home directory

RHEL5.0 As we know, when root create a new user, a new home directory will be created : /home/user I want to know what determine the access permission of /home/user . Thanks! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cqlouis
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

script to check for a directory in /home for all users

Following on from this post: https://www.unix.com/shell-programming-scripting/150201-simple-script-mount-folder-all-users-home.html and getting told off for bumping the thread:( Please could someone help me with a short script to check is a certain directory is present in /home for all users... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: barrydocks
8 Replies

8. Red Hat

SSH lock users to the Home Directory

Hi friends, I must to give ssh connection to own customer. So I want to lock ssh user on own home directory. It is not necessery to reach other folders. I know that ftp user can lock on own folder but I don't know how to lock ssh user. I am waitting your kindly helps :D ---------- Post... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: getrue
10 Replies

9. AIX

close ssh users to the home directory

Hello, I must close ssh users to the home directory. It means the users musn't see anything inside their home directory. For example after login to the os and type this command "cd .." or "cd /" it musn't work. How can I implement it? (Probably chroot or rootsh but how?) (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jeszi
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Permissions on a directory in /home for all users

Hi, I have created a shared directory on /home, where all users on a certain group have read, write and execute permissions. I did this using chmod -R g+rwx /home/shared/ The problem is, when a particular user creates a directory within /home/shared, other users are not able to write to... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: lost.identity
8 Replies
mnthome(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						mnthome(1)

NAME
mnthome -- mount an AFP (AppleShare) home directory with the correct privileges SYNOPSIS
mnthome [-v] [-d] [-m mntpath] [-n] [-b] [-p password] [-i] [-x mount point] [-u] [-s] DESCRIPTION
The mnthome command unmounts the AFP (AppleShare) home directory that was automounted as guest, and remounts it with the correct privileges by logging into the AFP server using the current username and password. This command also allows you to have guest access turned off on your AFP server too and still have AFP home directories work with "su". When you ssh into another computer using an account that has an AFP home directory or you "su <netuser>" where <netuser> is an AFP home directory user, then the resulting home directory will not have the correct access privileges. This is because automount is assuming NFS behavior which assumes that all computers share the same user/group privileges and mounts volumes using "no security" and lets the client enforce privileges based on the current user. AFP is different since the privileges are based on the user that logged into the server. Since automount does not put up an authentication dialog asking for an user name and password, automount mounts the fileserver using guest login. Thus you end up with getting the world access privileges and the privileges are shown via "mapping". You also would have to allow guest access to the server to that sharepoint. Mapping makes all the files/folders appear like they are owned by the current user. Even those items not really owned by the current user show up as being owned by the current user. The server provides user access rights (UARights) which is a summary of what the access rights are regardless of the category (owner, group, world) from which they were obtained. When doing "mapping", the AppleShare client will take these UARights and show them as the owner rights. So, everything looks like it is owned by the current user and the owner rights are set to the UARights. Thus if you had access to that file/folder before, then you still do. The options are: -v Display version number. -d Print debugging information. -m Alternative mount point is specified with the -m option followed by a path to an existing directory. Normally, the volume is mounted in /Network/Servers/ or /var/automount/Network/Servers/. -n Do not force the unmount of the previous mount point. -b Exec the user's shell after mount of home. -p A password may be specified with the -p option followed by a password. If this option is not used, then the user will be prompted to enter in a password. -i Display information about the AFP home mount point. -u Attempt to unmount the current home directory mount. -x This option must be followed by a path to an existing AFP mount point. Display information about the mount point. -s Skip preflight check to see if the currently mounted home directory is already correctly mounted for the user. EXAMPLES
The following example illustrates how to mount an AFP home directory: mnthome This example shows how to print the debugging information and provide a password: mnthome -d -p foobar SEE ALSO
mount(2), unmount(2), mount(8) mount_afp(8) BUGS
I get the mounting url from the "home_loc" attribute and the mountpath from the "home" attribute (with the path from home_loc subtracted out). If your AFP home directory automounts in a different location, then you need to use the -m option to specify an alternative mount point. I cant figure out how to cd out of the current home dir so I can do the unmount and then restore the user back into the new home dir. If you are in the AFP home directory when you use mnthome, you automatically get put back into that same directory when mnthome leaves. If mnthome works, then your current directory is a dead directory and you need to "cd ~" to get to your new home directory. If the server with the home directory was already mounted by another user, you will not be able to replace it with a mount made by your user id. The original mount must be first unmounted by the mounting user or root. HISTORY
The mnthome command first appeared Mac OS X version 10.3. RETURN VALUES
0 mnthome successfully remounted the AFP home directory. [EINVAL] Invalid arguements were passed in. [EPERM] The current AFP home directory could not be unmounted by mnthome because the current user does not have the correct access. The current AFP home directory was probably mounted by another user first. [EAUTH] Incorrect password. Mac OS X August 4, 2004 Mac OS X