Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Converting Single Column into Multiple rows Post 302279534 by laknar on Friday 23rd of January 2009 03:15:41 AM
Old 01-23-2009
I checked the script it just adding pipe before the each line.
shall i try this script

file=/path/to/inputfile
numcols=1 ## adjust to taste
n=1
IFS='
'
while [ $n -le $numcols ]
do
{
printf "%s," $( cut -f "$n" "$file" )
echo
} > file_col$n
n=$(( $n + 1 ))
done

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Single column into multiple rows

Hi all, I need to convert this file having just one column into two column file current file: a 15 b 21 c 34 d 48 e 10 wanted: a 15 b 21 c 34 (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: prachiagra
15 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Converting rows to a single row

Hi all I have a file as below : Development System User Production i want to convert the file to below format: "Development","System","User","Production" Is it possible with UNIX ? if so can you please give me some direction on it ? Thanks, Satya Use code tags please, ty. (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: satyaranjon
10 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Converting Multiple rows to Single Row using unix commands

Can somebody help me in solving this.. Input data is like 0 A 1 B 2 C 3 D 0 A1 1 B1 2 C1 3 D1 0 A2 1 B2 2 C2 3 D2 Output should be like A B C D A1 B1 C1 D1 A2 B2 C2 D2 (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mahantesh Patil
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to merge multiple rows into single row if first column matches ?

Hi, Can anyone suggest quick way to get desired output? Sample input file content: A 12 9 A -0.3 2.3 B 1.0 -4 C 34 1000 C -111 900 C 99 0.09 Output required: A 12 9 -0.3 2.3 B 1.0 -4 C 34 1000 -111 900 99 0.09 Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cbm_000
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

[SOLVED] splitting a single column(with spaces) into multiple rows

Hi All, My requisite is to split a single column of phonemes seperated by spaces into multiple rows. my input file is: a dh u th a qn ch A v U r k my o/p should be like: adhu a dh u (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: girlofgenuine
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Transpose multiple rows (with a mix of space and enter) to a single column

How to change the uploaded weekly file data to the following format? New Well_Id,Old Well_Id,District,Thana,Date,Data,R.L,WellType,Lati.,Longi. BAG001,PT006,BARGUNA,AMTALI,1/2/1978,1.81,2.29,Piezometer,220825,901430 BAG001,PT006,BARGUNA,AMTALI,1/9/1978,1.87,2.29,Piezometer,220825,901430... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sara.nowreen
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Converting Single Column into Multiple rows, but with strings to specific tab column

Dear fellows, I need your help. I'm trying to write a script to convert a single column into multiple rows. But it need to recognize the beginning of the string and set it to its specific Column number. Each Line (loop) begins with digit (RANGE). At this moment it's kind of working, but it... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: AK47
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Convert single column into multiple rows

Convert Single column to multiple rows file a.txt contains data like below Server=abc Run=1 Tables=10 Sessions=16 Time=380 Jobs=5 Server=abc Run=2 Tables=15 Sessions=16 Time=400 Jobs=5 Server=abc Run=3 Tables=20 Sessions=16 Time=450 (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sol_nov
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Converting a single row to multiple rows

Hi, I want to convert a single row values to multiple rows, but the no. of rows are not fixed. For example, I have a row as below abc-def-lmn-mno-xyz out put should be get abc get def get lmn get xyz (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Suneel Mekala
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Converting Single Column into Multiple rows

Hi .. anyone can you help me ? i need to convert text below into multiple columns interface; GigabitEthernet0/0/0/0 description; TRUNK_PE-D2-JT2-VPN_Gi0/0/0/0_TO_ME4-A-JKT-JT_4/1/1_1G mtu 9212 negotiation auto interface; GigabitEthernet0/0/0/0.11 description; tes encapsulation;... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mad3linux
1 Replies
DBLINK_GET_RESULT(3)					  PostgreSQL 9.2.7 Documentation				      DBLINK_GET_RESULT(3)

NAME
dblink_get_result - gets an async query result SYNOPSIS
dblink_get_result(text connname [, bool fail_on_error]) returns setof record DESCRIPTION
dblink_get_result collects the results of an asynchronous query previously sent with dblink_send_query. If the query is not already completed, dblink_get_result will wait until it is. ARGUMENTS
conname Name of the connection to use. fail_on_error If true (the default when omitted) then an error thrown on the remote side of the connection causes an error to also be thrown locally. If false, the remote error is locally reported as a NOTICE, and the function returns no rows. RETURN VALUE
For an async query (that is, a SQL statement returning rows), the function returns the row(s) produced by the query. To use this function, you will need to specify the expected set of columns, as previously discussed for dblink. For an async command (that is, a SQL statement not returning rows), the function returns a single row with a single text column containing the command's status string. It is still necessary to specify that the result will have a single text column in the calling FROM clause. NOTES
This function must be called if dblink_send_query returned 1. It must be called once for each query sent, and one additional time to obtain an empty set result, before the connection can be used again. When using dblink_send_query and dblink_get_result, dblink fetches the entire remote query result before returning any of it to the local query processor. If the query returns a large number of rows, this can result in transient memory bloat in the local session. It may be better to open such a query as a cursor with dblink_open and then fetch a manageable number of rows at a time. Alternatively, use plain dblink(), which avoids memory bloat by spooling large result sets to disk. EXAMPLES
contrib_regression=# SELECT dblink_connect('dtest1', 'dbname=contrib_regression'); dblink_connect ---------------- OK (1 row) contrib_regression=# SELECT * FROM contrib_regression-# dblink_send_query('dtest1', 'select * from foo where f1 < 3') AS t1; t1 ---- 1 (1 row) contrib_regression=# SELECT * FROM dblink_get_result('dtest1') AS t1(f1 int, f2 text, f3 text[]); f1 | f2 | f3 ----+----+------------ 0 | a | {a0,b0,c0} 1 | b | {a1,b1,c1} 2 | c | {a2,b2,c2} (3 rows) contrib_regression=# SELECT * FROM dblink_get_result('dtest1') AS t1(f1 int, f2 text, f3 text[]); f1 | f2 | f3 ----+----+---- (0 rows) contrib_regression=# SELECT * FROM contrib_regression-# dblink_send_query('dtest1', 'select * from foo where f1 < 3; select * from foo where f1 > 6') AS t1; t1 ---- 1 (1 row) contrib_regression=# SELECT * FROM dblink_get_result('dtest1') AS t1(f1 int, f2 text, f3 text[]); f1 | f2 | f3 ----+----+------------ 0 | a | {a0,b0,c0} 1 | b | {a1,b1,c1} 2 | c | {a2,b2,c2} (3 rows) contrib_regression=# SELECT * FROM dblink_get_result('dtest1') AS t1(f1 int, f2 text, f3 text[]); f1 | f2 | f3 ----+----+--------------- 7 | h | {a7,b7,c7} 8 | i | {a8,b8,c8} 9 | j | {a9,b9,c9} 10 | k | {a10,b10,c10} (4 rows) contrib_regression=# SELECT * FROM dblink_get_result('dtest1') AS t1(f1 int, f2 text, f3 text[]); f1 | f2 | f3 ----+----+---- (0 rows) PostgreSQL 9.2.7 2014-02-17 DBLINK_GET_RESULT(3)