Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers See if process is running and kill it Post 302279434 by just4fundoit on Thursday 22nd of January 2009 04:42:51 PM
Old 01-22-2009
Try This!

ps -elf|grep -i entourage|awk '{print "kill -9 "$2}' |sh
That should do the trick.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to kill process while keeping the submitted job running

:confused: I have a process which was schedule to run from 8am - 6pm daily. The scripts will search & run the commands that i was predefined in the database. Ususally, there were about 6-7 jobs for each submission and each job takes about 1-2 hrs and running one by one. And, I have a cron job... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: hk_newbie
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

When kill doesnt work, how to kill a process ?

Hi All, I am unable to kill a process using kill command. I am using HP-UX system. I have tried with kill -9 and i have root privilages. How can i terminate this daemon ? ? ? Regards, Vijay Hegde (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: VijayHegde
3 Replies

3. Programming

kill(0,-9) don't kill the process

Hi all i have simple c program , when i wish to kill the app im using kill(0,-9) , but it seams this command don't do any thing and the program. just ignore it . what im doing wrong here ? im using HP-UX ia64 Thanks (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: umen
9 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Kill a process without using kill command

Sorry, posted the question in other forum. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sudhamacs
0 Replies

5. Linux

Kill a process without using kill command

I want to Kill a process without using kill command as i don't have privileges to kill the process. I know the pid and i am using Linux 2.6.9 OS. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sudhamacs
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Kill an specific process ID using the KILL and GREP commands

Good afternoon I need to KILL a process in a single command sentence, for example: kill -9 `ps -aef | grep 'CAL255.4ge' | grep -v grep | awk '{print $2}'` That sentence Kills the process ID corresponding to the program CAL255.4ge. However it is possible that the same program... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: enriquegm82
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with kill a specific process after certain running time

Hi, Do anybody experience to write a bash script in order to kill a specific process (java) after certain time of running? eg. java java.jar task_run.txt I will run a java program (java.jar) which will run a long list of process (task_run.txt) one by one. I plan to terminate the java... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: perl_beginner
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to kill a process running at a certain port

Hello, I have multiple scripts (vlc1, vlc2,...vlc5) and as I do not know how to run them as upstart processes, I entered my script links into rc.local file. Here is the sample one for process vlc1: $ nano /etc/rc.local added below line into rc.local /var/bin/./vlc1 & Port nr of vlc1... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: baris35
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Command to know all the Current running process and how to kill

All, 1.What is the unix comand used for all current running process (Including All current running processes Parent ->child->subchild process) 2.If child and subchild processes are running then what is the unix command to kill parent and its all child subchild processes in UNIX. Kindly... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: skp
7 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Idle command to kill the process running n unx box machine

Hi Team , I have one process named as cec_analysiseool that is running on unix box machine now i want to kill this process so please advise what will be the ideal command to kill this , what i have tried is :confused: kill -9 `ps -ef | grep cec_analysiseool | grep -v grep | awk '{print $2}'` (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: unclesamm
2 Replies
GELF_CHECKSUM(3)					   BSD Library Functions Manual 					  GELF_CHECKSUM(3)

NAME
elf32_checksum, elf64_checksum, gelf_checksum -- return the checksum of an ELF object LIBRARY
ELF Access Library (libelf, -lelf) SYNOPSIS
#include <libelf.h> long elf32_checksum(Elf *elf); long elf64_checksum(Elf *elf); #include <gelf.h> long gelf_checksum(Elf *elf); DESCRIPTION
These functions return a simple checksum of the ELF object described by their argument elf. The checksum is computed in way that allows its value to remain unchanged in presence of modifications to the ELF object by utilities like strip(1). Function elf32_checksum() returns a checksum for an ELF descriptor elf of class ELFCLASS32. Function elf64_checksum() returns a checksum for an ELF descriptor elf of class ELFCLASS64. Function gelf_checksum() provides a class-independent way retrieving the checksum for ELF object elf. RETURN VALUES
These functions return the checksum of the ELF object, or zero in case an error was encountered. ERRORS
These functions may fail with the following errors: [ELF_E_ARGUMENT] Argument elf was NULL. [ELF_E_ARGUMENT] Argument elf was not a descriptor for an ELF file. [ELF_E_ARGUMENT] The ELF descriptor elf was not opened for reading or updating. [ELF_E_CLASS] For functions elf32_checksum() and elf64_checksum(), ELF descriptor elf did not match the class of the called function. [ELF_E_HEADER] The ELF object specified by argument elf had a malformed executable header. [ELF_E_RESOURCE] An out of memory condition was detected during processing. [ELF_E_SECTION] The ELF object specified by argument elf contained a section with a malformed section header. [ELF_E_VERSION] The ELF object was of an unsupported version. SEE ALSO
strip(1), elf(3), gelf(3) BSD
August 29, 2006 BSD