Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Newbie help with New Line & Blank Line Post 302279361 by Franklin52 on Thursday 22nd of January 2009 02:24:24 PM
Old 01-22-2009
Why don't you use vi or another editor if you want to insert one line in one script?

Regards

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Newbie ? Need Help with If/Then & Line Breaks...

I hope this makes sense, but I need help with what is indicated with %%, below : A.) ####List active servers and send to file#### # ps -ef | grep jboss | grep sh | awk '{if ($14) {print $12;}else {print $11}}' | sort > /export/home/kthatch/script_results client302 client306 client309... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kthatch
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed: delete regex line and next line if blank

Hi, I want to write a sed script which from batiato: batiato/giubbe: pip_b.2.txt pip_b.3.txt pip_b.3mmm.txt bennato: bennato/peterpan: 123.txt consoli: pip_a.12.txt daniele: (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: one71
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Question: Help need to remove blank line & sed: Couldn't re-allocate memory error.

I've shell script where i used the below command to take the line which contains patterns. sed -n "/$year 05:/,/$year 17:/p" trace.log | grep -f patterns.txt > output.log This was working fine for long time, but now a days this script is not working with and throwing error like sed:... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: senthil.ak
8 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace two blank line with a single blank line

Hi Guys, I have a file in which each set of records are separated by two blank line. I want to replace it with a single blank line. Can you guys help me out? Regards, Magesh (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: mac4rfree
9 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Fill the empty line by adding line before blank line

FIle A "A" 2 aa 34 3 ac 5 cd "B" 3 hu 67 4 fg 5 gy output shud be A"" 2 aa 34 "A" 3 ac 34 "A" 5 cd 34 "B" 3 hu 67 "B" 4 fg 67 "B" 5 gy 67 (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: cdfd123
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print lines between a regExp & a blank line

Hi, I have a file, say files_list, as below (o/p of ls -R cmd) $ cat files_list /remote/dir/path/to/file: sub-dir1 sub-dir2 sub-dir3 ... /remote/dir/path/to/file/sub-dir1: remote_file1.csv.tgz <blank line 1> /remote/dir/path/to/file/sub-dir2: remote_file2.csv.tgz <blank... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dips_ag
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

String search and print next all lines in one line until blank line

Dear all I want to search special string in file and then print next all line in one line until blank lines come. Help me plz for same. My input file and desire op file is as under. i/p file: A1/EXT "BSCABD1_21233G1" 757 130823 1157 RADIO X-CEIVER ADMINISTRATION BTS EXTERNAL FAULT ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jaydeep_sadaria
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need a program that read a file line by line and prints out lines 1, 2 & 3 after an empty line...

Hello, I need a program that read a file line by line and prints out lines 1, 2 & 3 after an empty line... An example of entries in the file would be: SRVXPAPI001 ERRO JUN24 07:28:34 1775 REASON= 0000, PROCID= #E506 #1065: TPCIPPR, INDEX= 003F ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ferocci
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Combine multiline to one line till a blank line

Hello, I have a file as :- ABC DEF GHI JKL <BlankLine> MNO PQR STU VWX <BlankLine> YZA I need it as below:- ABCDEFGHIJKL; MNOPQRSTUVWX; (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jassi10781
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

In a file, replace blank line by the last line not blank above

Dear All, In a CSV file, say that a given column has been extracted. In that column, information is missing (i.e. blank lines appear). I would like to replace the blank lines by the last valid line (not blank) previously read. For example, consider the extract below: 123 234 543 111... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: bagvian
7 Replies
ED(1)							      General Commands Manual							     ED(1)

NAME
ed - editor SYNOPSIS
ed file OPTIONS
- Suppress line/byte count messages (for in scripts) EXAMPLES
ed prog.c # Edit prog.c echo '1,$p' | ed - file # Odd way to write 'cat file' DESCRIPTION
Ed is functionally equivalent to the standard V7 editor, ed. It supports the following commands: (.) a: append (.,.)c: change (.,.)d: delete e: edit new file" f: print name of edited file" (1,$)g: global command (.) i: insert (.,.+1)j: join lines together (.) k: mark (.) l: print with special characters in octal (.,.)m: move (.,.)p: print q: quit editor" (.) r: read in new file (.,.)s: substitute (1,$)v: like g, except select lines that do not match (1,$)w: write out edited file Many of the commands can take one or two addresses, as indicated above. The defaults are shown in parentheses. Thus a appends to the cur- rent line, and g works on the whole file as default. The dot refers to the current line. Below is a sample editing session with comments given following the # symbol. ed prog.c # Edit prog.c 3,20p # Print lines 3 through 20 /whole/ # Find next occurence of whole s/whole/while/ # Replace whole by while g/Buf/s//BUF/g # Replace Buf by BUF everywhere w # Write the file back q # Exit the editor Ed is provided for its sentimental value. If you want a line-oriented editor, try ex. If you want a good editor, use elle, elvis, or mined. SEE ALSO
elvis(1), elle(9), mined(9). ED(1)