Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers detect file size then quit or continue Post 302279289 by steven99 on Thursday 22nd of January 2009 10:40:27 AM
Old 01-22-2009
getting closer

Hi, thanks for the reply, I've just had time to plug it in and try it. I'm getting a syntax error as follows:

syntax error: `if' unmatched

I looked this up in google and ended up back here on another thread, smirk. I read through that and I seem to have filled the requirements for an if statement, 2 square brackets, white space on either end...command below...this is what I'm running now:

#!usr/local/bin/ksh
fsize=$(ls -lad "mydata.csv" | awk '{print $5}')
if [ ${fsize} -eq 183 ]
then
echo "do nothing"
exit
fi
echo "do something"

I dumbed it down to see if the first line worked, and it does:

#!usr/local/bin/ksh
fsize=$(ls -lad "mydata_godstone.csv" | awk '{print $5}')
print $fsize
fi

I'm not sure what's wrong now, I have an if and a then. thanks in advance. Steven

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Continue Script when File Found

Hello All, I am trying to write a script that will only continue executing my script if a file exits. I know the directory of the file, so its just a matter of seeing if the file exists yet. If the file has not yet been created, I want the script to wait 10 minutes (600 seconds) and try again.... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jose Miguel
7 Replies

2. Solaris

command to find out total size of a specific file size (spread over the server)

hi all, in my server there are some specific application files which are spread through out the server... these are spread in folders..sub-folders..chid folders... please help me, how can i find the total size of these specific files in the server... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: abhinov
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl how to exit a while loop and quit reading the input file

I am reading a file using While loop while <FILE> { $_ = <FILE>; process data... } I would like to quit reading the file once I encounter a String pattern. How do i do it. is it if (/SUMMARY/) { last; } I am having problems with uninitialized value in pattern... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: subhap
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

if no file then quit

I have a script that run several subscripts. I need to find out how to do two things. First I would like to check for a file and if that file is not there I want to quit the entire script without running the rest of the script which contain subscripts. If the file is there, I want it to continue... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: libertyforall
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script check for file, alert if not there, and continue checking until file arrives

All, Is there a way to keep checking for a file over and over again in the same script for an interval of time? Ie If { mail -user continue checking until file arrives file arrives tasks exit I don't want the script to run each time and email the user each time a file... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: markdjones82
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read from a file in unix(Continue from previous thread)

Hi This is continuation of previos thread status=running username=abc password=123456 server=linux The script was made which is used to capture the data from file ./scr test status It will give result running I have a case like status = running username=abc password=123456... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: parthmittal2007
14 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Opening a file in vi and automatically save and quit this file using shell script

Hi friends, In my shell script, I want to open a file using vi editor. After opening the file in vi, I want to save and quit this file automatically.... all through shell script. the code segment is: ------------------------------------------------------------ cd ~/netfpga/projects/scone/sw/... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sachinteotia
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Wait and continue if directory stays same size

hi all, i want to make a bash script so it can monitor directory sizes ie if it stays the same size (for a certain time) i want it to run the script but if there still copying and the directory increases in size do not run the script i have heard "inotifywait" can do this, but theres... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: robertkwild
7 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

If file pattern exists in directory then continue

he below looks in $dir for any pattern of fileone. As is, it executes but only returns File found if the exact format in the script exsists. Why isn't a pattern of fileone being looked for and if it is in $dir, File found. I think that is what should happen. Thank you :). dir=/path/to if... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
5 Replies
IPURGE(8)						      System Manager's Manual							 IPURGE(8)

NAME
ipurge - delete mail from IMAP mailbox or partition based on age or size SYNOPSIS
ipurge [ -f ] [ -C config-file ] [ -x ] [ -X ] [ -i ] [ -s ] [ -o ] [ -d days | -b bytes | -k Kbytes | -m Mbytes ] [ mailbox-pattern... ] DESCRIPTION
Ipurge deletes messages from the mailbox(es) specified by mailbox-pattern that are older or larger than specified by the -d, -b, -k or -m options. If no mailbox-pattern is given, ipurge works on all mailboxes. If the -x option is given, the message age and size MUST match exactly those specified by -d, -b, -k or -m. The are no default values, and at least one of -d, -b, -k or -m MUST be specified. Ipurge by default only deletes mail below shared folders, which means that mails in mailbox(es) below INBOX.* and user.* stay untouched. Use the option -f to also delete mail in mailbox(es) below these folders. Ipurge reads its configuration options out of the imapd.conf(5) file unless specified otherwise by -C. OPTIONS
-f Force deletion of mail in all mailboxes. -C config-file Read configuration options from config-file. -d days Age of message in days. -b bytes Size of message in bytes. -k Kbytes Size of message in Kbytes (2^10 bytes). -m Mbytes Size of message in Mbytes (2^20 bytes). -x Perform an exact match on age or size (instead of older or larger). -X Use delivery time instead of Date: header for date matches -i Invert match logic: -x means not equal, date is for newer, size is for smaller -s Skip over messages that have the Flagged flag set. -o Only purge messages that have the Deleted flag set. FILES
/etc/imapd.conf CMU
Project Cyrus IPURGE(8)