Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Searching for array in large list of files Post 302279023 by cfajohnson on Wednesday 21st of January 2009 07:20:44 PM
Old 01-21-2009

Put the search strings in a file and use the -f option to grep.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

List large files

Hi I need to list all files in the system: 1. Greater than specific size 2. All files sorted by size How can I do that? Thanks in advance. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: GNMIKE
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

viewing and searching large file

I need to search a very large file. 13g in size. i am looking for a record that has a value in the byte 4200 . how can i view the file or how can i search for value in the byte 4200? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Wrightman
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Searching list of entries in file for actual files in dir

Hi all, I have a file entries.txt that contains a number of entries all on seperate lines e.g. test1 test2 test3 test4 Then in a directory called /TestFiles I have a number of files that could contain the above text in the file name e.g. qwertytest1.csv qwertytest2.csv... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: not4google
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Searching a specific line in a large file

Hey All Can any one please suggest the procedure to search a part of line in a very large file in which log entries are entered with very high speed. i have trued with grep and egrep grep 'text text text' <file-name> egrep 'text text text' <file-name> here 'text text text' is... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: NIMISH AGARWAL
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Command to list large files

Looking for a line to show all of the large files on a unix server (over 300mb)... Having problems finding anything that works... TIA! (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: search66
13 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to process list of files as array in the script

Hi., In my script I have written : file_list=`ls -lrt /tmp/vinay/act/files |grep "$cdate"| awk '{print $9}'` To store list of files in the directory. Now I want to access it as list. And for this I tried with : set -A filearray $file_list if }` == "" ]]; then ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: IND123
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grepping large list of files

Hi All, I need help to know the exact command when I grep large list of files. Either using ls or find command. However I do not want to find in the subdirectories as the number of subdirectories are not fixed. How do I achieve that. I want something like this: find ./ -name "MYFILE*.txt"... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: angshuman
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Searching a large file for short tandem repeats

Hello, I am searching large (~25gb) DNA sequence data in fasta short read format: >ReadName ACGTACGTACGT... for short tandem repeats, meaning instances of any 2-6 character based run that are repeated in tandem a number of times given as an input variable. Seems like a reasonably simple... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ljk
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Split list of files into an array and pass to function

There are two parts to this. In the first part I need to read a list of files from a directory and split it into 4 arrays. I have done that with the following code, # collect list of file names STATS_INPUT_FILENAMES=($(ls './'$SET'/'$FOLD'/'*'in.txt')) # get number of files... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: LMHmedchem
8 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash arrays: rebin/interpolate smaller array to large array

hello, i need a bit of help on how to do this effectively in bash without a lot of extra looping or massive switch/case i have a long array of M elements and a short array of N elements, so M > N always. M is not a multiple of N. for case 1, I want to stretch N to fit M arrayHuge H = (... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: f77hack
2 Replies
XSTR(1) 						    BSD General Commands Manual 						   XSTR(1)

NAME
xstr -- extract strings from C programs to implement shared strings SYNOPSIS
xstr [-cv] [-] [file ...] DESCRIPTION
The xstr utility maintains a file strings into which strings in component parts of a large program are hashed. These strings are replaced with references to this common area. This serves to implement shared constant strings, most useful if they are also read-only. The following options are available: - Read from the standard input. -c Extract the strings from the C source file or the standard input (-), replacing string references by expressions of the form (&xstr[number]) for some number. An appropriate declaration of xstr is prepended to the file. The resulting C text is placed in the file x.c, to then be compiled. The strings from this file are placed in the strings data base if they are not there already. Repeated strings and strings which are suffixes of existing strings do not cause changes to the data base. -v Verbose mode. After all components of a large program have been compiled a file xs.c declaring the common xstr space can be created by a command of the form xstr The file xs.c should then be compiled and loaded with the rest of the program. If possible, the array can be made read-only (shared) saving space and swap overhead. The xstr utility can also be used on a single file. A command xstr name creates files x.c and xs.c as before, without using or affecting any strings file in the same directory. It may be useful to run xstr after the C preprocessor if any macro definitions yield strings or if there is conditional code which contains strings which may not, in fact, be needed. An appropriate command sequence for running xstr after the C preprocessor is: cc -E name.c | xstr -c - cc -c x.c mv x.o name.o The xstr utility does not touch the file strings unless new items are added, thus make(1) can avoid remaking xs.o unless truly necessary. FILES
strings data base of strings x.c massaged C source xs.c C source for definition of array xstr /tmp/xs* temporary file when ``xstr name'' does not touch strings SEE ALSO
mkstr(1) HISTORY
The xstr command appeared in 3.0BSD. BUGS
If a string is a suffix of another string in the data base, but the shorter string is seen first by xstr both strings will be placed in the data base, when just placing the longer one there will do. BSD
December 30, 1993 BSD