Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Help connecting to linux server from shh client in windows! Post 302279011 by Bandit390 on Wednesday 21st of January 2009 06:33:29 PM
Old 01-21-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ikon
What are you putting in putty?

You need the ip address of the linux box..

On the linux box run:
Code:
# ifconfig

eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:0C:76:91:00:00
          inet addr:X.X.X.X  Bcast:X.X.X.X  Mask:255.255.255.192
          inet6 addr: fe80::20c:76ff:fe91:424d/64 Scope:Link
          UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
          RX packets:77754543 errors:2 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:2
          TX packets:80795889 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
          RX bytes:2157256162 (2.0 GiB)  TX bytes:3941644204 (3.6 GiB)
          Interrupt:201 Base address:0xe000

Also make sure ssh server is installed and running on the linux box and no firewall is setup on it.
Putting that in a script and running it, just gives me a bunch of "command not found". Even on my school's server.

When I connect to my school server with putty. I just put in the host name. Which for my server, at least in the same spot where I would check my schools, I have "ubuntuHome".

?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Problem Connecting from Windows base OS to linux

I have a network consisting of Linux Server, Win-Nt & 95 OS. I am able to connect from Linux to Win-NT using either ftp / telnet in time. But it takes me around & more than 50 seconds to connect from Wint -Nt/95 to Linux using either ftp/telnet. My network is small & it hardly consists 20-25... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: S.Vishwanath
3 Replies

2. Programming

Windows Client Vs Unix Server?

i have written a TCP client server application in c under unix. The windows systems should also be alowed to connect to the TCP server running on linux.So i wrote a small client application in VB using winsock. The client and server works fine in the linux environment. When i tried to connect the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: collins
0 Replies

3. IP Networking

Explor the Unix server on Windows Client machine

Hi, I am doin a project that'll work as a normal Explorer on Windows but the best thing is it'll be exploring the content of a UNIX server. The application would be runnin on the windows platform with probably a FTP server on UNIX server. How i should proceed? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ziaullahk
2 Replies

4. Programming

tcp server listening, client connecting problems

hello everyone. I tried searching for something related to this, but I figured it was time to ask my own question. I am experiencing these problems using Ubuntu 7.04 I am starting up a TCP listener/server and once connected, will act as a communication/control link with a program on another... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pjwhite
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

connecting UNIX/Linux to NTP server

Hello i want to connect my solaris & Linux boxes to ntp server i used the command /usr/sbin/ntpdate -s -b -p 8 -u <NTP-IP> and added the NTP server as server in /etc/ntp.conf please help in completing the process and verifying it (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: learn82
1 Replies

6. Programming

UDP linux client and Windows server

Hi, I have a situation where i need to communicate a linux client with a windows server, I am using a UDP socket communication channel. I am able to send packets from my linux clients to the windows server but unable to receive any data packet from the server. Do i need to make any setting in... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: John20
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Connecting to Windows Server

Hi, One of the folders in UNIX is mapped with a drive on Windows.From this UNIX machine I want to connect to the Windows Server, perform some checks and view the results back on the UNIX machine. For e.g. if I touch a file under the shared folder on UNIX, I should be able to telnet to Windows... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: swasid
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Help connecting linux box to Windows - winbindd problem

Hi experts - I hope you can help me. I am trying to resolve Windows host names (aka Netbios names, aka "UNC names) from a Linux box. I have added "dns wins" to the "hosts" line at /etc/nsswitch.conf, and installed samba 3.2.2 and ran "winbindd -D". Now, when I go: "wbinfo -N venus" (where... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: maryg
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Connecting to Windows server from UNIX through script

I am trying to connect to a Windows server say 10.1.1.10. This servers has a folder named RAJ in which there are multiple .zip files. All these zip files contain a text file called XYZ.txt. Now i have to merge the content of these XYZ.txt files from each of the .zip file and create a new text... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: swapniljadav
1 Replies

10. IP Networking

Unable to SSH from Windows client to Ubuntu Server

I'm trying to setup a small home network environment as a pet project. These are physical machines nothing virtual. Any help or ideas is greatly appreciated. I can ping between both machines and I have Samba established and can read/write different shares. When I try to SSH from Windows 8.1... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: lombardi4851
10 Replies
PBFIFO(8)							       Linux								 PBFIFO(8)

NAME
pfifo - Packet limited First In, First Out queue bfifo - Byte limited First In, First Out queue SYNOPSIS
tc qdisc ... add pfifo [ limit packets ] tc qdisc ... add bfifo [ limit bytes ] DESCRIPTION
The pfifo and bfifo qdiscs are unadorned First In, First Out queues. They are the simplest queues possible and therefore have no overhead. pfifo constrains the queue size as measured in packets. bfifo does so as measured in bytes. Like all non-default qdiscs, they maintain statistics. This might be a reason to prefer pfifo or bfifo over the default. ALGORITHM
A list of packets is maintained, when a packet is enqueued it gets inserted at the tail of a list. When a packet needs to be sent out to the network, it is taken from the head of the list. If the list is too long, no further packets are allowed on. This is called 'tail drop'. PARAMETERS
limit Maximum queue size. Specified in bytes for bfifo, in packets for pfifo. For pfifo, defaults to the interface txqueuelen, as speci- fied with ifconfig(8) or ip(8). The range for this parameter is [0, UINT32_MAX]. For bfifo, it defaults to the txqueuelen multiplied by the interface MTU. The range for this parameter is [0, UINT32_MAX] bytes. Note: The link layer header was considered when counting packets length. OUTPUT
The output of tc -s qdisc ls contains the limit, either in packets or in bytes, and the number of bytes and packets actually sent. An unsent and dropped packet only appears between braces and is not counted as 'Sent'. In this example, the queue length is 100 packets, 45894 bytes were sent over 681 packets. No packets were dropped, and as the pfifo queue does not slow down packets, there were also no overlimits: # tc -s qdisc ls dev eth0 qdisc pfifo 8001: dev eth0 limit 100p Sent 45894 bytes 681 pkts (dropped 0, overlimits 0) If a backlog occurs, this is displayed as well. SEE ALSO
tc(8) AUTHORS
Alexey N. Kuznetsov, <kuznet@ms2.inr.ac.ru> This manpage maintained by bert hubert <ahu@ds9a.nl> iproute2 10 January 2002 PBFIFO(8)