Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Alternative GUI For FreeBSD
Operating Systems BSD Alternative GUI For FreeBSD Post 302278951 by thenrie on Wednesday 21st of January 2009 04:05:47 PM
Old 01-21-2009
I'm sure you are aware, but since you already have gnome installed, you can simultaneously install other desktop environments and/or windows managers and select which one you want to start when you get to the gnome login screen. Gnome uses gdm (I think that stands for gnome display manager), instead of xorg's xdm, or kde's kdm, which is configured through /etc/ttyv.conf, I think, to allow selection of whichever manager you want at login. So, you can try out several and decide which you like the best and get rid of the rest...or keep a couple that each do specific things to your liking.

I have tried kde3, kde4, gnome2.2, xfce4, and blackbox. I like gnome2.2 the best, for the full desktop environment. After that it's xfce4, minimal, but enough. I have tried to get used to kde4, while I was running PCBSD7, but I just don't like it. I like a little more than blackbox offers. Went back to plain vanilla FreeBSD7.1 with gnome2. I'm happy.

Tony

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

loop alternative?

I have a 1-column file with random numbers. this script runs to subtract 1 to the number and written to a file. With over 10,000 lines, it takes >2 minutes to complete the loop operation. is there an alternative awk/sed for looping to reduce the wait? Thanks! #!/bin/ksh for N in `cat... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: apalex
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

If a is windows gui ( client), b is a unix gui ( Server for a) and c is a shell scrip

Hello all, 1) I want to have a GUI application that will call Unix shell scripts, 2) that GUI application should be able to reside on windows ( if possible) and then call Unix shell script either directly or through a server residing on unix. That is for example. If a is windows gui (... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hchivukula
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

du alternative in perl

I have a perl script that just does a `du -sk -x` and formats it to look groovy ( the argument can be a directory but usually is like /usr/local/* ) #!/usr/bin/perl use strict; use warnings; my $sizes = `du -x -sk @ARGV | sort -n`; my $total = 0; print "MegaBytes Name\n"; for(split... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: insania
1 Replies

4. Programming

Application crashes in FreeBSD 7.1 while working ok in FreeBSD 6.3

Hello there, My mulithreaded application (which is too large to represent the source code here) is crashing after installing FreeBSD 7.1-RELEASE/amd64. It worked properly on others machines (Dual Cores with 4GB of RAM - FreeBSD 6.2-RELEASE/i386). The current machine has 2x Core 2 Duo... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Seenquev
1 Replies

5. IP Networking

Alternative to Port 25

We're in the process of testing a mail server that we hope will replace our current one that's being hosted by our ISP. We learned a few things along the way and would like to avoid them if possible. The biggest hurdle is getting around port 25 (SMTP). Our work force is approx 75% consultants who... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sdotsen
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Running a GUI without GUI

I was wondering if it is possible to run a GUI window (say Firefox) without actually showing up the window on the desktop but still make it do its own regular stuff (like maybe do something via the command line). Sorry if its a dumb question. Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Legend986
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Alternative to grep

How to find a particular line in a file without using grep? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: proactiveaditya
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Alternative for wc -l

Hi techies .. This is my first posting hr .. Am facing a serious performance problem in counting the number of lines in the file. The input files i get will be in some 10 to 15 Gb of size or even sometimes more ..and I will load it to db I have used wc -l to confirm whether the loader... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajesh_2383
14 Replies

9. Solaris

vi alternative

Is there any other editor, installed by 'default' in Sparc Solaris10, besides vi? I'd like to avoid installing anything new. If not, how to make vi more user-friendly? thanks. (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: orange47
8 Replies

10. Programming

Python gui or C++ gui or java gui?

python gui or c++ gui or java gui? and when to use etch one? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kaja
1 Replies
gnome-session(1)						   User Commands						  gnome-session(1)

NAME
gnome-session - starts up the GNOME desktop environment SYNOPSIS
gnome-session [--choosesession] [--failsafe] [--purge-delay=delay] [--warn-delay=delay] [--suicide-delay=delay] [session-name] [gnome-std- options] DESCRIPTION
The gnome-session program starts up the GNOME desktop environment. This command is typically executed by your login manager (either gdm, xdm, or from your X startup scripts). It will either load your last session, or provide a default session for the user as defined by the system administrator (or the default GNOME installation on your system). You can optionally specify a specific session name to restore. gnome-session is an X11R6 session manager. It can manage GNOME applications as well as any X11R6 SM compliant sessions. If the user has previously saved a session, the session is loaded from the ~.gnome2/session file. Otherwise, the session is loaded from the /usr/share/gnome/default.session file. Any programs specified in the ~/.gnome2/session/.session-manual will also be started. gnome-session also exports an X Atom called GNOME_SM_DESKTOP on the root window, to indicate that gnome-session has started. Some applica- tions may require such information to proceed correctly. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: --choosesession User can specify a session to load, as opposed to the session specified in the ~/.gnome/session-options file. If that entry does not exist in the ~/.gnome/session file (or if that file does not exist), gnome-session will use the default ses- sion, and all saves to that session will be to the new session name. --failsafe Fail-safe operations mode: gnome-session only reads saved sessions from the default.session file. --purge-delay=deThe number of milliseconds that gnome-session will wait for clients to register. If delay is 0, gnome-session will wait forever. The default value is 30,000 milliseconds. --suicide-delay=Theanumber of milliseconds that gnome-session will wait for clients to die. If delay is 0, gnome-session will wait forever. The default value is 10,000 milliseconds. --warn-delay=delThe number of milliseconds that gnome-session will wait for clients to respond. If delay is 0, gnome-session will wait for- ever. The default value is 10,000 milliseconds. gnome-std-optionStandard options available for use with most GNOME applications. See gnome-std-options(5) for more information. OPERANDS
The following operands are supported: session-name The name of the session to be loaded. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Starting a session named "MySession" example% gnome-session --choose-session=MySession Example 2: Starting the system default session, ignoring the user's session example% gnome-session --failsafe Example 3: Setting the purge delay to 50000ms example% gnome-session --purge-delay=50000 Example 4: Setting the suicide delay to 50000ms example% gnome-session --suicide-delay=50000 Example 5: Setting the warning delay to 50000ms example% gnome-session --warn-delay=50000 ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
gnome-session accepts all of the standard environment variables used by GNOME programs, as well as the SESSION_MANAGER environment vari- able. gnome-session also sets several environment variables for the use of its child processes. See environ(5) for descriptions of the following environment variables: SESSION_MANAGER Used by session-manager-aware clients to contact gnome-session. DISPLAY Set to the X display being used by gnome-session. Note that the --display option, if specified, overrides the set- ting of the DISPLAY environment variable. EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 Application exited successfully >0 Application exited with failure FILES
The following files are used by this application: /usr/bin/gnome-session The command-line executable for the application. /usr/share/gnome/defaultDefaultnsystem session file. ~/.gnome2/session User session file. ~/.gnome2/session/.sessiSpecifies programs to start that do not support session management. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWgnome-session | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface stability |External | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
gnome-std-options(5), default.session(5), gnome-smproxy(1), gnome-session-save(1) NOTES
Written by Brian Cameron, Sun Microsystems Inc., 2003. SunOS 5.10 13 Jan 2003 gnome-session(1)