Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: String replacement
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting String replacement Post 302278827 by reddybs on Wednesday 21st of January 2009 09:12:38 AM
Old 01-21-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franklin52
With awk:

Code:
awk 'NR==2{gsub("NO","YES")}1' file

Regards

Thank you very much for the help.

But the file is not getting updated with the change.

Say for example, if the command is run, the file should be changed with the output it produces.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed problem - replacement string should be same length as matching string.

Hi guys, I hope you can help me with my problem. I have a text file that contains lines like this: 78 ANGELO -809.05 79 ANGELO2 -5,000.06 I need to find all occurences of amounts that are negative and replace them with x's 78 ANGELO xxxxxxx 79... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: amangeles
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

String Replacement Script

Okay, I have a script right now that is made to search through a file and replace certain strings with a new one. The format to execute is "/subst <replacethis> <withthis> <filename>" and it only updates the file IF changes are made (in order to preserve the time it was made/last modified). I have... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: jbud
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK String replacement

I have an xml file with following tags <NewTag>value123</xyz> <NewTag>value321</abcd> I have to replace the values in between the tags with some value ( VAL1/VAL2) but the thing the ending tag can be any thing, for this i need a awk command currently i am using this but it... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: subin_bala
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacement of string

Hi I have a text file which contains the following. AAA,BBB,CCC,DDD AAA,BBB,CCC,DDD AAA,BBB,CCC,DDD How can I replace all CCC with 888, with other contents inside the file remain unchange? Please advice Desired output: AAA,BBB,888,DDD AAA,BBB,888,DDD AAA,BBB,888,DDD (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: c0384
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

String replacement

I have one string string1=user/password:IP_ADDR:Directory I need to replace string1 value like store into string2 string2=user password:IP_ADDR:Directory i.e replace "/" character by '<space>' character But i wouldn't use any file in the meantime. Please help me......................... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: mnmonu
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

String replacement using sed

I need to search and replace a particular string in a file. Only the exact match of the string should be replaced. eg: File contents : abc abcd abcdef --> Replace only 'abc' with 'xyz', but it should not replace abcd with xyzd. So the o/p should be: xyz abcd abcdef. How can this be done? I... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sngk
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

String replacement

Hi All, I have below file which has data in below format. #$ | AB_100 | AB_300 ()| AB_4 @*(% | AB-789 i want o/p as below format. | AB_100 | AB_300 | AB_4 | AB-789 So here there is no standard format. How we can achieve the same in unix ? Regards, (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gander_ss
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

String replacement.

Dear Friends, I want to replace following line with given line. It should grep/search following string in a file (input.txt) M/M SRNO: 000M/6200-0362498 COSMETIC PRO MALE FEMALE Once found it should replace it to following string. T_DLHNNO: 000M/6200-0362498 ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: anushree.a
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

String replacement

Hi, I have a text file where all records come in one line (single line file), each record starts with 'BUCH' and ends with '@&' and if data is not there we get space instead. between '@&' and next record there might be some spaces, now I want to remove those spaces between '@&' and 'BUCH'. ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: maks475
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parallel replacement string

Hi, Using the following command, I can only get rid of the last extension from my input file name: parallel command '>' {.}.output ::: my.input.file The output file is "my.input.output" How can I get rid of the last two extensions of my input file name, so that end up with "my.output"?... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: forU
4 Replies
MooseX::AttributeHelpers::Trait::String(3pm)		User Contributed Perl Documentation	      MooseX::AttributeHelpers::Trait::String(3pm)

NAME
MooseX::AttributeHelpers::String - simple string attribute SYNOPSIS
package MyHomePage; use Moose; use MooseX::AttributeHelpers; has 'text' => ( metaclass => 'String', is => 'rw', isa => 'Str', default => sub { '' }, provides => { append => "add_text", replace => "replace_text", } ); my $page = MyHomePage->new(); $page->add_text("foo"); # same as $page->text($page->text . "foo"); DESCRIPTION
This module provides a simple string attribute, to which mutating string operations can be applied more easily (no need to make an lvalue attribute metaclass or use temporary variables). Additional methods are provided for completion. If your attribute definition does not include any of is, isa, default or provides but does use the "String" metaclass, then this module applies defaults as in the "SYNOPSIS" above. This allows for a very basic counter definition: has 'foo' => (metaclass => 'String'); $obj->append_foo; METHODS
meta method_provider has_method_provider helper_type process_options_for_provides Run before its superclass method. check_provides_values Run after its superclass method. PROVIDED METHODS
It is important to note that all those methods do in place modification of the value stored in the attribute. inc Increments the value stored in this slot using the magical string autoincrement operator. Note that Perl doesn't provide analogeous behavior in "--", so "dec" is not available. append $string Append a string, like ".=". prepend $string Prepend a string. replace $pattern $replacement Performs a regexp substitution ("s" in perlop). There is no way to provide the "g" flag, but code references will be accepted for the replacement, causing the regex to be modified with a single "e". "/smxi" can be applied using the "qr" operator. match $pattern Like replace but without the replacement. Provided mostly for completeness. "chop" "chop" in perlfunc "chomp" "chomp" in perlfunc "clear" Sets the string to the empty string (not the value passed to "default"). BUGS
All complex software has bugs lurking in it, and this module is no exception. If you find a bug please either email me, or add the bug to cpan-RT. AUTHOR
Stevan Little <stevan@iinteractive.com> COPYRIGHT AND LICENSE
Copyright 2007-2009 by Infinity Interactive, Inc. <http://www.iinteractive.com> This library is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.10.1 2010-01-02 MooseX::AttributeHelpers::Trait::String(3pm)