Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Using Variable With Space In It? Post 302278652 by jaduks on Tuesday 20th of January 2009 10:30:37 PM
Old 01-20-2009
so in your example , it will be

Code:
$ filestr=`date "+%y-%m-%d %H.%M.%S"`.tar
$ tar -cvf "$filestr" test.txt

09-01-21 04.23.34.tar will be created.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to trim space in output variable ?

Hi , I have a code like this: uid=scott password=tiger database=db01 cat >runid_val.sql<<-EOA SET ECHO OFF SET FEEDBACK OFF SET HEADING OFF SELECT trim(runid_seq.nextval) FROM dual; EXIT EOA echo `cat runid_val.sql` V_RUNID=`sqlplus -s $uid/$password@$database @runid_val.sql`... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: vj_76
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

space in variable

Hi, How to check if a variable is having spaces or empty in shell scripts. Please help esham (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: esham
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to merge two variable in one variable with space between them?

Dear all I had two separate variable. Now i want to make them merge into one new variable with space between them. Kindly suggest me. var1=dec 15 var2=10 i want var3=dec 15 10 My main aim is as below: op of date command: >date >Sat Dec 15 10:17:35 IST 2007 i want only Dec... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jaydeep_sadaria
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

appending space to variable

Hi I need to write a script where there the user enters 3 input parameter variable number the program should ask the user left or right if it is left , the number specified that many spaces should be added to the value in front of the value and saved in the samee variable itself and if it is... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: viv1
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Preserve space in variable of AWK

This seems to be a stupid basic question, but I cant get the space to stick in the awk variable. I do use this command to grep a time range of the log file. cat /var/log/daemon.log | awk '$0>=from&&$0<=to' from="$(date +%b" "%e" "%H:%M:%S -d -24hour)" to="$(date +%b" "%e" "%H:%M:%S)" I now... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jotne
9 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Setting path variable with a space.

Hi I am using MKS Toolkit c shell. I am trying to set a path variable something like c:/Program Files/blah/blah so set path=(c:/Program Files/blah/blah) this, however, does not work as it splits this thing up into 'c:/Program' and 'Files/blah/blah'. Does anyone have any ideas on... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: vas28r13
9 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

awk for variable with a space

Hi experts, why does $ echo "one two three" | awk '{$3="my tree"; print $0}' one two my tree work, but $ var="my tree" $ echo "one two three" | awk '{$3="'$var'"; print $0}' awk: {$3="my awk: ^ unterminated string does not work? How can the variable tha contains a space be... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: GermanicGalore
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding position of space in a variable

HI All, am trying to find the position of space in a variable, it is working for other characters other than space ulab="ulab1|ulab2" find_pos=`expr index $ulab '|'` echo $find_pos above code worked fine but below one says syntax error ulab="ulab ulab2" find_pos=`expr index $ulab ' '`... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ulab
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to remove tab space if any in a variable?

I have a variable sumOfJEOutputFile which is the output file of an SQL command which contains the output of that SQL. The output looks like below: ----------- 58 I am using following code to manipulate the output: (sed 1,2d $sumOfJEOutputFile > $newTemp1 | sed '$d' $newTemp1)... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sharma331
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Space in PATH variable

Hi All, I did a review of some threads to see if someone had come across this problem. My system is an oracle virtual box solaris 10 installed on a windows 10 system. Right now I am learning scripting and am just playing with the env variables. I am trying to update the PATH to... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: bdby
9 Replies
virt-tar-out(1) 					      Virtualization Support						   virt-tar-out(1)

NAME
virt-tar-out - Pack a virtual machine disk image directory into a tarball. SYNOPSIS
virt-tar-out -a disk.img /dir files.tar virt-tar-out -d domain /dir files.tar virt-tar-out -d domain /dir - | gzip --best > files.tar.gz DESCRIPTION
"virt-tar-out" packs a virtual machine disk image directory into a tarball. The first parameter is the absolute path of the virtual machine directory. The second parameter is the tar file to write. Use "-" to write to standard output. EXAMPLES
Download the home directories from a guest: virt-tar-out -d MyGuest /home - | gzip --best > homes.tar.gz JUST A SHELL SCRIPT WRAPPER AROUND GUESTFISH
This command is just a simple shell script wrapper around the guestfish(1) "tar-out" command. For anything more complex than a trivial copy, you are probably better off using guestfish directly. OPTIONS
Since the shell script just passes options straight to guestfish, read guestfish(1) to see the full list of options. SEE ALSO
guestfish(1), virt-cat(1), virt-copy-in(1), virt-copy-out(1), virt-edit(1), virt-tar-in(1), <http://libguestfs.org/>. AUTHORS
Richard W.M. Jones ("rjones at redhat dot com") COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2011 Red Hat Inc. <http://libguestfs.org/> This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by the Free Software Foundation; either version 2 of the License, or (at your option) any later version. This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the GNU General Public License for more details. You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License along with this program; if not, write to the Free Software Foundation, Inc., 51 Franklin Street, Fifth Floor, Boston, MA 02110-1301 USA. libguestfs-1.18.1 2013-12-07 virt-tar-out(1)