Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting gnu sed regex grouping not working? Post 302278641 by Allasso on Tuesday 20th of January 2009 07:56:23 PM
Old 01-20-2009
thank you for your reply.

Your example works fine for what it does, but the whole point is to be able to use the square brackets so I can use the NOT form -- [^...] -- in order to keep the match from being greedy.

Are you saying that you cannot have a group inside of [...] ?

Last edited by Allasso; 01-20-2009 at 09:11 PM.. Reason: clarity

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grouping using sed/awk ?

I run awk cat $1|awk '{print $6}' and get a lot of results and I want results to group them. For example my result is (o/p is unknown to user) xyz xyz abc pqr xyz pqr etc I wanna group them as xyz=total found 7 abc=total .... pqr= Thank (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pujansrt
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

SED:: Using variable while grouping

Hi, I have the following script :- #!/bin/csh -f set var="HOST2" sed -e 's/\(.*TRANSFER TO\).*\(usr\)/\1 "$var" \2/' tempFile tempFile contains: STOP TRANSFER TO HOST1 /usr/bin/myscript 1. How to use variable in the above sed command. It replaces with $var... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: angshuman_ag
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Converting perl regex to sed regex

I am having trouble parsing rpm filenames in a shell script.. I found a snippet of perl code that will perform the task but I really don't have time to rewrite the entire script in perl. I cannot for the life of me convert this code into something sed-friendly: if ($rpm =~ /(*)-(*)-(*)\.(.*)/)... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: suntzu
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Trouble with grouping regex

Hi Forum im trying to use grouping in a regex statement in a function in a script this is the criteria im trying to match :It MUST have 3 character at the beginning. After that it can have a mix of spaces,alpha-numeric and dashes in any order eg HUG this-stuff, FGU taylor-8-shoes, ZDFnintendo... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ShinTec
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

matching a regex using egrep not working

Hi, I'm trying to validate if a string matches a regular expression, but it is not working. Am I missing something? Do I need to scape any of the characters? if echo 'en-GB' | egrep '({1,8})(-{1,8})*' >/dev/null; then echo Valid value fi Thanks in advance (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: skrtxao
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grouping sed commands

Hello, would you please help me with why my SED command file is outputting the entire input file instead of only the text that I'm trying to block? cat testfile O 111111111-00 DUE-DATE METHOD: FREQUENCY: O 222222222-00 DUE-DATE METHOD: FREQUENCY: O 333333333-02 DUE-DATE METHOD:... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: lneedh1
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

grouping using sed or awk

I have below inside a file. 11.22.33.44 user1 11.22.33.55 user2 I need this manipulated as alias server1.domain.com='ssh user1@11.22.33.44' alias server2.domain.com='ssh user2@11.22.33.55' (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: anil510
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Gsub regex not working

I have a number of files that I pass through awk/gsub. I believe to have found a working regex and on 'test bed' sites it matches, however within gsub it does not. Examples: Initial data: /Volumes/Daniel/Public/Drop Box/_Hellsing_Ultimate_OVA_-_10_.mkv gsub & regex: gsub("\]+\]","" ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: unknownn
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Regex not working

I am using a regex to exactly match a string abcdef as ^abcdef$. But it does'nt seem to work :( (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: gaurav99
11 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using GNU Regex

I'm just learning Regex and while testing my understanding I received some unexpected results. I created example.txt with the text "abcddd". Running the command grep --color 'd' example.txt I received the results: "abcddd" with the first and second letter d highlighted in red. So... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rthomas529
1 Replies
EXPR(1) 							   User Commands							   EXPR(1)

NAME
expr - evaluate expressions SYNOPSIS
expr EXPRESSION expr OPTION DESCRIPTION
--help display this help and exit --version output version information and exit Print the value of EXPRESSION to standard output. A blank line below separates increasing precedence groups. EXPRESSION may be: ARG1 | ARG2 ARG1 if it is neither null nor 0, otherwise ARG2 ARG1 & ARG2 ARG1 if neither argument is null or 0, otherwise 0 ARG1 < ARG2 ARG1 is less than ARG2 ARG1 <= ARG2 ARG1 is less than or equal to ARG2 ARG1 = ARG2 ARG1 is equal to ARG2 ARG1 != ARG2 ARG1 is unequal to ARG2 ARG1 >= ARG2 ARG1 is greater than or equal to ARG2 ARG1 > ARG2 ARG1 is greater than ARG2 ARG1 + ARG2 arithmetic sum of ARG1 and ARG2 ARG1 - ARG2 arithmetic difference of ARG1 and ARG2 ARG1 * ARG2 arithmetic product of ARG1 and ARG2 ARG1 / ARG2 arithmetic quotient of ARG1 divided by ARG2 ARG1 % ARG2 arithmetic remainder of ARG1 divided by ARG2 STRING : REGEXP anchored pattern match of REGEXP in STRING match STRING REGEXP same as STRING : REGEXP substr STRING POS LENGTH substring of STRING, POS counted from 1 index STRING CHARS index in STRING where any CHARS is found, or 0 length STRING length of STRING + TOKEN interpret TOKEN as a string, even if it is a keyword like `match' or an operator like `/' ( EXPRESSION ) value of EXPRESSION Beware that many operators need to be escaped or quoted for shells. Comparisons are arithmetic if both ARGs are numbers, else lexicograph- ical. Pattern matches return the string matched between ( and ) or null; if ( and ) are not used, they return the number of characters matched or 0. Exit status is 0 if EXPRESSION is neither null nor 0, 1 if EXPRESSION is null or 0, 2 if EXPRESSION is syntactically invalid, and 3 if an error occurred. AUTHOR
Written by Mike Parker, James Youngman, and Paul Eggert. REPORTING BUGS
Report expr bugs to bug-coreutils@gnu.org GNU coreutils home page: <http://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/> General help using GNU software: <http://www.gnu.org/gethelp/> Report expr translation bugs to <http://translationproject.org/team/> COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2010 Free Software Foundation, Inc. License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>. This is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it. There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law. SEE ALSO
The full documentation for expr is maintained as a Texinfo manual. If the info and expr programs are properly installed at your site, the command info coreutils 'expr invocation' should give you access to the complete manual. GNU coreutils 8.5 February 2011 EXPR(1)