Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Slackware CUPS setup / dev/lp0 perms. ... Slow printing. Post 302278627 by agentrnge on Tuesday 20th of January 2009 06:13:22 PM
Old 01-20-2009
Upon each bootup /dev/lp0 is getting created with permissions to allow root and group lp rw access.

The printer shows unavailable. print jobs error out saying "unable to write to /dev/lp0"

cupsd is running as root
parallel is running as lp

As soon as I add +rw to all users it is fine. This does not feel like the correct "solution".

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Linux

Landscape printing broken in CUPS?

Hello, I am using version: cups-config --version - 1.2.4 However, when i use the -o land or -o landscape command it doesn't print in Landscape. I have the same problem on another server. (Both running CENTOS). Does landscape printing work in CUPS? Is there a fix? Thanks in an... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: stuaz
0 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Slow printing / CUPS - process "parallel" high cpu

Hello. I have a slackware system running cups with an HP laserJet 2100 connected via parallel port in ECP mode. Print jobs are working. Very slowly. 15K test print out of cups takes about 2 minutes to complete. When the printout is on the way to the printer, the process "parallel" uses... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: agentrnge
0 Replies

3. SCO

Printing as a CUPS client, only root can print!

Hi, i'm running Openserver 5.0.7 as a CUPS client for a Linux server. The root user can issue a "lpstat -t" to see the printers and can submit jobs without issues. The problem presents when I try to work as a regular user. If I issue an "lpstat -t" all I get after a few seconds is "lpstat:... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cyruspy
1 Replies

4. Debian

CUPS Cannot recognize lp0

I am trying to print from Debian and receive the following message: "Unable to open device file"/dev/lp0": Permission Denied" The permissions for lp0 are 666. Advice and comments, please. :wall: Thanks (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: woofy613
0 Replies

5. AIX

Remote printing to Linux CUPS queue

Hello all. I am setting up a queue under AIX 4.2.1 to print to a remote Linux CUPS queue. At present I can print to the queue remotely from Windows but not AIX. What I am seeing is lpstat reads the state of the remote queue but at job submission time I am getting backend exit fatal errors. The... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: tgx
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

CUPS printing and control escape codes

I ported application from SysV to Linux and run into troubles with printing. Application uses lp and HP JetDirect-based printers, it inserts HP control codes in the file and uses plain lp -d dest doc-file command to print it. The Linux (Ubuntu 8) has CUPS system, which I am not familiar... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: migurus
0 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Slow printing to network printers using CUPS

Hi Guys, I've inherited a mess of an infrastructure in my new job, there hasn't been a sys admin in post for about a year, so things are falling apart. The first thing to break after I started was the printer server. I have it working again, and people can print, however it's very slow, slower... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: rudigarude
0 Replies

8. Red Hat

cups printing error

Hi All, Having searched for a solution to this issue i found no suggestions which help my particular problem. I am getting the following error message on 1 of the 3 printers i have configured: recoverable: Network host 'xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx' is busy; will retry in 30 seconds All 3 printers are... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tommyk
0 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Troubleshooting printing through Cups

Hello Experts, I have been facing an issue with printing through cups configured on Linux server. All was going on well but all of a sudden the printers started giving an error message, "Unsupported format application/postscript!" and we cant get any prints of any printer. Need your help as... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rockyc3400
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Automating partitioning setup of /dev/sda on /dev/sdc

Objective: To recreate the partitioning setup of /dev/sda on /dev/sdc How would I parse the below information and initialize variables (an array?) that can be used to build sgdisk commands in a script, regardless of the number of partitions? Something along the lines of: sgdisk -n... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: RogerBaran
12 Replies
cups-config(1)							    Apple Inc.							    cups-config(1)

NAME
cups-config - get cups api, compiler, directory, and link information. SYNOPSIS
cups-config --api-version cups-config --build cups-config --cflags cups-config --datadir cups-config --help cups-config --ldflags cups-config [ --image ] [ --static ] --libs cups-config --serverbin cups-config --serverroot cups-config --version DESCRIPTION
cups-config is the CUPS program configuration utility. It should be used by application developers to determine the necessary command-line options for the compiler and linker, as well as determining installation directories for filters, configuration files, and drivers. OPTIONS
--api-version Displays the current API version (major.minor). --build Displays a system-specific build number. --cflags Displays the necessary compiler options. --datadir Displays the default CUPS data directory. --help Displays the program usage message. --image When used with --libs, adds the CUPS imaging library to the list of displayed libraries. --ldflags Displays the necessary linker options. --libs Displays the necessary librarys to link to. --serverbin Displays the default CUPS binary directory, where filters and backends are stored. --serverroot Displays the default CUPS configuration file directory. --static When used with --libs, shows the static libraries instead of the default (shared) libraries. --version Displays the full version number of the CUPS installation (major.minor.patch). SEE ALSO
http://localhost:631/help COPYRIGHT
Copyright 2007-2013 by Apple Inc. 23 October 2008 CUPS cups-config(1)