Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming random array index returning values not contained Post 302278563 by VRoemer on Tuesday 20th of January 2009 03:52:40 PM
Old 01-20-2009
I tried just posting what was relevant but give me a sec.

Here is an example crap output with password[9]

Quote:
bsgJIl6gu\-
You cant see it but there is some control character after the '-'

---- BIG EDIT ----

I think the code is eating the ending NULL Character as The output from 9 is longer than 9 characters which would explain why I get this crappy output

---

So the fix is subtracting 1 from sizeof( password )

Sorry, I oopsed all over this forum with a rookie mistake.

Last edited by VRoemer; 01-20-2009 at 05:12 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

why the inode index of file system starts from 1 unlike array index(0)

why do inode indices starts from 1 unlike array indexes which starts from 0 its a question from "the design of unix operating system" of maurice j bach id be glad if i get to know the answer quickly :) (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sairamdevotee
0 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

wh inode index starts from 1 unlike array index (0)

brothers why inode index starts from 1 unlike array inex which starts from 0 its a question from the design of unix operating system of maurice j.bach i need to know the answer urgently...someone help please (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sairamdevotee
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

sql variable as array index

hi folks i am facing problom while trying to access sql variable as array index ina unix shell script....script goes as below.. #!/bin/ksh MAX=3 for elem in alpha beeta gaama do arr=$elem ((x=x+1)) Done SQL_SERVER='servername' /apps/sun5/utils/sqsh -S $SQL_SERVER -U user -P pwd -b -h... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sudheer157
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk array index help

$ cat file.txt A|X|20 A|Y|20 A|X|30 A|Z|20 B|X|10 A|Y|40 Summing up $NF based on first 2 fields, $ awk -F "|" 'BEGIN {OFS="|"} { sum += $NF } END { for (f in sum) print f,sum } ' file.txt o/p: A|X|50 A|Y|60 A|Z|20 (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: uwork72
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

dynamic index for array in while loop

Hi, I'm just trying to use a dynamic index for some array elements that I'm accessing within a loop. Specifically, I want to access an array at variable position $counter and then also at location $counter + 1 and $counter + 2 (the second and third array positions after it) but I keep getting... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: weak_code-fu
0 Replies

6. Programming

FORTRAN -Returning index fir which values fall in a region

I have an 10 element array containing numbers, I want the start and end index in the array for which the values lie between DIST1 and DIST2. It is not working quite right. I also might want a value of 0 if I cannot find an index. V=(/10.0,20.0,30.0,40.0,50.0,60.0,70.0,80.0,90.0,100.0/) ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kristinu
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk multiply values contained in 2 different files

Hi Everyone ! I have two files with the same configuration and I want to multiply corresponding values and write the result in a file. Let say 2 header lines and then lines of values (with not constant number of columns): more file1.txt --> BLABLABLA BLABLABLA 1 2 3 4 1 2 3 1 2 1... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Youm
7 Replies

8. Programming

Returning char array

I want to return a char array to the main() function, but its returning garbage value. #include<stdio.h> //#include<conio.h> #include<string.h> char* strtrmm(); int main() { char str1,c1; printf("\n Enter the string:"); gets(str1); //strtrmm(str1); printf("%s",strtrmm(str1));... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: zinat
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Associative array index question

I am trying to assign indexes to an associative array in a for loop but I have to use an eval command to make it work, this doesn't seem correct I don't have to do this with regular arrays For example, the following assignment fails without the eval command: #! /bin/bash read -d "\0" -a... (19 Replies)
Discussion started by: Riker1204
19 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copy of array by index value fails

Hello, I have a complicated situational find and replace that I wrote in bash because I didn't know how to do everything in awk. The code works but is very slow, as expected. To create my modified file, I am looping through an array that was populated earlier and making some replacements at... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: LMHmedchem
6 Replies
MKPASSWD(1)						      General Commands Manual						       MKPASSWD(1)

NAME
mkpasswd - generate new password, optionally apply it to a user SYNOPSIS
mkpasswd [ args ] [ user ] INTRODUCTION
mkpasswd generates passwords and can apply them automatically to users. mkpasswd is based on the code from Chapter 23 of the O'Reilly book "Exploring Expect". USAGE
With no arguments, mkpasswd returns a new password. mkpasswd With a user name, mkpasswd assigns a new password to the user. mkpasswd don The passwords are randomly generated according to the flags below. FLAGS
The -l flag defines the length of the password. The default is 9. The following example creates a 20 character password. mkpasswd -l 20 The -d flag defines the minimum number of digits that must be in the password. The default is 2. The following example creates a password with at least 3 digits. mkpasswd -d 3 The -c flag defines the minimum number of lowercase alphabetic characters that must be in the password. The default is 2. The -C flag defines the minimum number of uppercase alphabetic characters that must be in the password. The default is 2. The -s flag defines the minimum number of special characters that must be in the password. The default is 1. The -p flag names a program to set the password. By default, /etc/yppasswd is used if present, otherwise /bin/passwd is used. The -2 flag causes characters to be chosen so that they alternate between right and left hands (qwerty-style), making it harder for anyone watching passwords being entered. This can also make it easier for a password-guessing program. The -v flag causes the password-setting interaction to be visible. By default, it is suppressed. EXAMPLE
The following example creates a 15-character password that contains at least 3 digits and 5 uppercase characters. mkpasswd -l 15 -d 3 -C 5 SEE ALSO
"Exploring Expect: A Tcl-Based Toolkit for Automating Interactive Programs" by Don Libes, O'Reilly and Associates, January 1995. AUTHOR
Don Libes, National Institute of Standards and Technology mkpasswd is in the public domain. NIST and I would appreciate credit if this program or parts of it are used. 22 August 1994 MKPASSWD(1)