Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users diff command filling /var filesystem space Post 302278512 by jim mcnamara on Tuesday 20th of January 2009 11:43:36 AM
Old 01-20-2009
opengroup.org the SUSv3 (POSIX) "keepers" -- suggests very strongly that TMPDIR be observed by all implementations of the core utilities. This allows users to specify temporary disk space. It is not a requirment, so it may not work for you.

It works for the implementations of diff I can get to right now: RHEL 4, HPUX 11.23
Code:
TMPDIR=/tmp  # or wherever there is free space and the directory is set up correctly.

It is worth a try at least.

And Methyl has it - using diff/bdiff on gigantic files is not a great idea. There must be a better way.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Process responsible for filling up /var/tmp

Hi, Help ! - I have a process which I cannot find that is writing to /var/tmp every 10 minutes and filling up my partition, it is also filling up my wtmpx file. I have some software error correction for a faulty DIMM at the moment - is this likely to be causing this as well as over-loading my... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mal
3 Replies

2. Solaris

Filesystem filling up and no clue as to why!

df shows that the filesystem is filling up and the usage is 94%. However when I actually traverse to the directory I du shows only about 10% of the space occupied! Below is the output of df and du: >>>df -kh /cbmdata/00 470M 393M 29M 94% /cbmdata/00 >>>/cbmdata/00>... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: zombiezparadize
3 Replies

3. Solaris

diff b/w /var/log/syslog and /var/adm/messages

hi sirs can u tell the difference between /var/log/syslogs and /var/adm/messages in my working place i am having two servers. in one servers messages file is empty and syslog file is going on increasing.. and in another servers message file is going on increasing but syslog file is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tv.praveenkumar
2 Replies

4. AIX

/var filesystem is full

Hi, Is there a way to clear the temp files from /var/tmp? Is root access required to delete the files? Thanks, Narayan (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: narayanv
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Root filesystem filling up!

Hi all. New to the forum and new to Unix admin... / filesystem filled up and I can't find where the large files are. Any help will be apppreciated: # df -k Filesystem kbytes used avail capacity Mounted on /dev/dsk/c1t0d0s0 8063580 7941745 41200 100% / /proc ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jamie_collins
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Calculate total space, total used space and total free space in filesystem names matching keyword

Good afternoon! Im new at scripting and Im trying to write a script to calculate total space, total used space and total free space in filesystem names matching a keyword (in this one we will use keyword virginia). Please dont be mean or harsh, like I said Im new and trying my best. Scripting... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bigben1220
4 Replies

7. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

[Solved] /var is filling continuously

Hi All, I have Solaris-10 machine. Yesterday I patched it with Solaris-10 patch Cluster. Since then glance software is filling up /var/core continuously. In every few minutes, it will fill /var to 100%. Glance runs through /etc/init.d/mwa and I already stopped it, still core files are... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: solaris_1977
15 Replies

8. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

Error filling /var/adm/messages

I have Solaris-11 non-global zone running under Solaris-11 global zone. Every few minutes, this message is getting in /var/adm/message of non-global zone Aug 31 08:31:53 zonnjc002dbp01 statd: statd: cannot talk to statd at NAS1, RPC: Timed out(5) NAS1 is already mounted as NFS and working... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: solaris_1977
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Filling tab space with dots or dashes

Hey Guys & Gals ! My script is creating a numbered list and I would like to have the numers and results spaced apart by a tab. Now to make sure it is clear which number corresonds with which outcome, I would like to have the tab space filled with dashes. Anyone able to tell me if this... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: TAPE
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

[bash] script is filling up my /var/log

I am trying to create a script that checks if my VPN connection is up and running... Everything seems to work as except but for some reason, the script fills up my /var/log/auth.log with the below information Dec 13 01:07:44 debian sudo: soichiro : TTY=pts/0 ; PWD=/home/soichiro/Desktop ;... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: soichiro
5 Replies
bdiff(1)							   User Commands							  bdiff(1)

NAME
bdiff - big diff SYNOPSIS
bdiff filename1 filename2 [n] [-s] DESCRIPTION
bdiff is used in a manner analogous to diff to find which lines in filename1 and filename2 must be changed to bring the files into agree- ment. Its purpose is to allow processing of files too large for diff. If filename1 (filename2) is -, the standard input is read. bdiff ignores lines common to the beginning of both files, splits the remainder of each file into n-line segments, and invokes diff on cor- responding segments. If both optional arguments are specified, they must appear in the order indicated above. The output of bdiff is exactly that of diff, with line numbers adjusted to account for the segmenting of the files (that is, to make it look as if the files had been processed whole). Note: Because of the segmenting of the files, bdiff does not necessarily find a smallest sufficient set of file differences. OPTIONS
n The number of line segments. The value of n is 3500 by default. If the optional third argument is given and it is numeric, it is used as the value for n. This is useful in those cases in which 3500-line segments are too large for diff, causing it to fail. -s Specifies that no diagnostics are to be printed by bdiff (silent option). Note: However, this does not suppress possible diagnos- tic messages from diff, which bdiff calls. USAGE
See largefile(5) for the description of the behavior of bdiff when encountering files greater than or equal to 2 Gbyte ( 2**31 bytes). FILES
/tmp/bd????? ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWesu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |CSI |enabled | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
diff(1), attributes(5), largefile(5) DIAGNOSTICS
Use help for explanations. SunOS 5.10 14 Sep 1992 bdiff(1)