Sponsored Content
Special Forums Hardware Filesystems, Disks and Memory Write Speed into a big file (in Gb's) Post 302278412 by pludi on Tuesday 20th of January 2009 07:12:25 AM
Old 01-20-2009
Let's assume an average write speed of 50MB/s. A file with 10KB will take about 0.0002 seconds to write, whereas a file with 50 GB will need about 17 minutes. So yes, it will take more time to write a large file than a small one.
But if you mean if it takes more time to change a large file than a smaller one, that depends more on the structure and the program accessing it than the filesystem/OS. As an example, mmap()-ing a small file is very fast, but with large files you'll run into problems quickly. On the other hand, accessing data that's stored as a binary tree, with an application optimized for it, is almost always quicker than a linear search through a smaller file (O(log n) vs O(n))

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to view a big file(143M big)

1 . Thanks everyone who read the post first. 2 . I have a log file which size is 143M , I can not use vi open it .I can not use xedit open it too. How to view it ? If I want to view 200-300 ,how can I implement it 3 . Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: chenhao_no1
3 Replies

2. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

dmidecode, RAM speed = "Current Speed: Unknown"

Hello, I have a Supermicro server with a P4SCI mother board running Debian Sarge 3.1. This is the "dmidecode" output related to RAM info: RAM speed information is incomplete.. "Current Speed: Unknown", is there anyway/soft to get the speed of installed RAM modules? thanks!! Regards :)... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Santi
0 Replies

3. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

data from blktrace: read speed V.S. write speed

I analysed disk performance with blktrace and get some data: read: 8,3 4 2141 2.882115217 3342 Q R 195732187 + 32 8,3 4 2142 2.882116411 3342 G R 195732187 + 32 8,3 4 2144 2.882117647 3342 I R 195732187 + 32 8,3 4 2145 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: W.C.C
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How big is too big a config.log file?

I have a 5000 line config.log file with several "maybe" errors. Any reccomendations on finding solvable problems? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: NeedLotsofHelp
2 Replies

5. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Disk read and write speed.

Being a novice user to linux i m little unaware of how would i check disk read write speed. One of my mate is suggesting to create a file using dd command and check how much time it takes to create a 30 gb file . I think this has a little sense however i would also like to take your reviews... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: pinga123
5 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Find the file which is growing at high speed

Hi, A log file which is growing at high speed, don't know the name of it. How to find the respective file? Many thanks. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: venkatesht
2 Replies

7. Hardware

Hardware Correction: How to change DVD write speed

I am now on Kernel 2.6.32-26 For me 16x CD write speed is okay. I have old hardware which was able to write DVDs at 1x, back in previous linux version. Now, I dont get speed of less than 4x. Tested on k3b, xfburn, and brasero. But all start at bottom 4x write speed. k3b forced back to... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: makh
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Speed : awk command to count the occurrences of fields from one file present in the other file

Hi, file1.txt AAA BBB CCC DDD file2.txt abc|AAA|AAAabcbcs|fnwufnq bca|nwruqf|AAA|fwfwwefwef fmimwe|BBB|fnqwufw|wufbqw wcdbi|CCC|wefnwin|wfwwf DDD|wabvfav|wqef|fwbwqfwfe i need the count of rows of file1.txt present in the file2.txt required output: AAA 2 (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: mdkm
10 Replies
WRITE(1)						      General Commands Manual							  WRITE(1)

NAME
write - write to another user SYNOPSIS
write user [ ttyname ] DESCRIPTION
Write copies lines from your terminal to that of another user. When first called, it sends the message Message from yourname@yoursystem on yourttyname at time... The recipient of the message should write back at this point. Communication continues until an end of file is read from the terminal or an interrupt is sent. At that point write writes `EOT' on the other terminal and exits. If you want to write to a user who is logged in more than once, the ttyname argument may be used to indicate the appropriate terminal name. Permission to write may be denied or granted by use of the mesg command. At the outset writing is allowed. Certain commands, in particu- lar nroff and pr(1) disallow messages in order to prevent messy output. If the character `!' is found at the beginning of a line, write calls the shell to execute the rest of the line as a command. The following protocol is suggested for using write: when you first write to another user, wait for him to write back before starting to send. Each party should end each message with a distinctive signal--(o) for `over' is conventional--that the other may reply. (oo) for `over and out' is suggested when conversation is about to be terminated. FILES
/var/run/utmp to find user /bin/sh to execute `!' SEE ALSO
mesg(1), who(1), mail(1) 7th Edition November 27, 1996 WRITE(1)