Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Search this display these...
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Search this display these... Post 302278146 by nj78 on Monday 19th of January 2009 12:54:29 PM
Old 01-19-2009
If you are using perl, you can use a while loop to read STDIN, and say set a line variable at 2. Then use an array for preceding lines, push to that until the count is greater then the line variable, use an if statement.

Then in the main section, once the regex is found (use if) you can dump out the array and line with the match.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search for string and display those NOT found

In my script I read a input file and search all the files in a directory and it's sub-directories for that string using: find . -type f -print | xargs grep $var1 This just displays all the lines the string was found on. Too much data. What I need is to store in a file one time those... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: John Rihn
17 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed search/replace and display

Hi All: I'm using sed to replace one line in a configuration file. After replacing that line I would like to display to screen that line plus 10 lines above and below the line that was changed... How would I go about doing that?? Here is my search and replace string.... sed -e... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jimmyc
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search from file and display

Dear All I had input file as mention below. Now from that file i want to search string "FAULT CODES CLASS" and want to display contain again its. ( ie. 1B4 --4 is in next line. ). Kindly let me know the possible ways. <rxmfp:mo=RXOTX-46-5 ; ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jaydeep_sadaria
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search from file and display

Dear all I had input file as mention below. From that i want op as given below. Kindly let me knw possible ways. Regards Jaydeep CONNECTED bscaaa <rxmfp:mo=RXOTX-46-5 ; RADIO X-CEIVER ADMINISTRATION MANAGED OBJECT FAULT INFORMATION MO BTSSWVER RXOTX-46-5 ERA-G04-R11-V01 ... (5 Replies)
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search in file and display

Dear All I had below mention requirement. Kindly sugguest me possible ways. Thanks Regards Jaydeep IN PUT FILE: CELL BROADCAST SHORT MESSAGE SERVICE MESSAGE DATA ID CODE GS UPDATE MODE LANG MCO MCL NUMPAGES 50 1000 0 13 MML 1 1 TEXT PAGE *999*1# SONGS4U@30/M- 1 (3 Replies)
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search name and display column from a file

Hi I have search everywhere for this but I haven't got any result. so here is my question? I am trying to ask user to enter a name and then searching that name from a file and from a specific column. If user enter something, it should only displaying that name from that specific column and If the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sillyha
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search a String and display only word.

Hello Gurus, Apologies if this Q has been repeated but i was not able to find it :( I have an input file: ------------------------------- Replace DB.Employee as select column1 column2 from DB_T.Emp and DB.Test and DB.Dept and DB_T.Ter; ------------------------ (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: indrajit_u
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to search for file and display by date

I like "ls -ltr". I would like to search for a file in a large directory recursively and and display all the candidates in reverse order. /usr/bin/find . -name \*.txt This works. How do I display the date and sort the file names by the date in reverse order for the entire directory... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: siegfried
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search Multiple patterns and display

Hi, I have scenario like below and need to search for multiple patterns Eg: Test Time Started= secs Time Ended = secc Green test Test Time Started= secs Time Ended = secc Green test Output: I need to display the text starting with Test and starting with Time... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: weknowd
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search first file line after Error and display

I have a log file which contains information like below (more than 200 ERROR sets). Here I want to find first .c file and function after "ERROR: AddressSanitizer" line. If you see here after "ERROR:" line first file - asfrecohandling.c function - ASFPotRecoHandling_Create_RecPaxSrvcComp ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: pushpabuzz
6 Replies
TAIL(1) 						    BSD General Commands Manual 						   TAIL(1)

NAME
tail -- display the last part of a file SYNOPSIS
tail [-F | -f | -r] [-b number | -c number | -n number] [file ...] DESCRIPTION
The tail utility displays the contents of file or, by default, its standard input, to the standard output. The display begins at a byte, line or 512-byte block location in the input. Numbers having a leading plus (``+'') sign are relative to the beginning of the input, for example, ``-c +2'' starts the display at the second byte of the input. Numbers having a leading minus (``-'') sign or no explicit sign are relative to the end of the input, for example, ``-n 2'' displays the last two lines of the input. The default starting location is ``-n 10'', or the last 10 lines of the input. The options are as follows: -b number The location is number 512-byte blocks. -c number The location is number bytes. -f The -f option causes tail to not stop when end of file is reached, but rather to wait for additional data to be appended to the input. The -f option is ignored if the standard input is a pipe, but not if it is a FIFO. -F The -F option implies the -f option, but tail will also check to see if the file being followed has been renamed or rotated. The file is closed and reopened when tail detects that the filename being read from has a new inode number. The -F option is ignored if reading from standard input rather than a file. -n number The location is number lines. -r The -r option causes the input to be displayed in reverse order, by line. Additionally, this option changes the meaning of the -b, -c and -n options. When the -r option is specified, these options specify the number of bytes, lines or 512-byte blocks to display, instead of the bytes, lines or blocks from the beginning or end of the input from which to begin the display. The default for the -r option is to display all of the input. If more than a single file is specified, each file is preceded by a header consisting of the string ``==> XXX <=='' where ``XXX'' is the name of the file. DIAGNOSTICS
The tail utility exits 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. SEE ALSO
cat(1), head(1), sed(1) STANDARDS
The tail utility is expected to be a superset of the IEEE Std 1003.2-1992 (``POSIX.2'') specification. In particular, the -F, -b and -r options are extensions to that standard. The historic command line syntax of tail is supported by this implementation. The only difference between this implementation and historic versions of tail, once the command line syntax translation has been done, is that the -b, -c and -n options modify the -r option, i.e. ``-r -c 4'' displays the last 4 characters of the last line of the input, while the historic tail (using the historic syntax ``-4cr'') would ignore the -c option and display the last 4 lines of the input. HISTORY
A tail command appeared in PWB UNIX. BSD
June 6, 1993 BSD