Sponsored Content
Operating Systems BSD Internet connection with PC BSD Post 302277947 by thenrie on Monday 19th of January 2009 12:42:38 AM
Old 01-19-2009
Not enough info to diagnose. What hardware do you have? Wireless or LAN? What kind? What version of PCBSD? Security settings? Have you tried the PCBSD forum? They have a "Knowledge Base" with a lot of that kind of stuff for newbies. Go to the command line and type "dmesg" and <enter> and you should be able to figure out what kind of hardware your system has on it. You can get more info about your LAN or wireless card by entering "ifconfig". That may get you started.

Tony

Last edited by thenrie; 01-19-2009 at 01:49 AM.. Reason: added info

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. IP Networking

Unix Internet Connection

I am trying to set up my internet connection for my unix system and cannot seem to do it. I have a optimum on line service, and use a cable modem, with a usb. The 3 com ethernet card in my Gateway Labtop is recognized but when I hook up the usb and try and connect the usb is unrecognized. I... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: kdelph
14 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

setting up internet connection!!

HI unix guru.. i need your help again.. i tring to setup my sun box for internet connection, i am using @home cable service i have 8 pc running different operating systems. every other computer can go online but this sun box for some reason alway give me and error, i enter my ip address... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: souldier
1 Replies

3. Solaris

Internet Connection via Lan

I have a sun wokstation running solaris 9 , I want to configuring my lan card to access internet . my IP address : 192.168.144.20 ISP gateway : 192.168.144.1 DNS address : 202.56.250.5 all helps will be appreciated thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: una
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

solaris internet connection

Hi everyone, I just installed Solaris 10 in my PC. However, once I finished installing it, I lost my internet connection. When I switch to windows, the internet can run smoothly. Does anyone know how to set up internet connection in Solaris ? I am so sorry, I am new in UNIX (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: qqq
7 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Connection of SUN to internet and to PC

Hi, 1)If someone could help me out that how could i connect to internet. Below is the system specification, and i have dial up connection. Sun UltraSPARC-IIi 270MHz processor 256 MB memory 8.4 GB HDD 100/10BaseT Ethernet CD-ROM drive 3.5" Floppy drive 2)Also, how to connect Sun to... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: younics
0 Replies

6. Linux

setting up internet connection

I'm having fedora core4.I have a ADSL modem and can access through Windows.I tried setting up internet connection in linux using setup command and netconfig,but doesn't work. can anybody help me with the steps in detail.also can i use the same ip address as in windows? (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: laddu
7 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

RHEL Internet connection

Hi all :) I got a problem that I need to solve here, its kinda confusing me. I got servers which is RHEL that its not supposed to connect to internet, but right now I want this server to connect to internet, so firewall and everything already open. but I have no idea why it still unable to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: flekzout
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

check Internet connection?

I am using SUSE OS and want to check internet connection... I have tried: ping -c3 google.com The output i have got is: Unknown host google.com does it means that i do not have Internet connection?? Or please help me with any Command to find Internet connection? Thanks for any help. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: salil2012
1 Replies

9. Solaris

Internet connection

I got solaris 10 works, but I cannot set up my internet connection. When I ping a website and i open the web browser, it doesn't work. When the installation asked 'Am I in a network?' i answerd 'no'. I think this is my minstake. How can i get Internet, now? I have a ADSL modem (not router).... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mghis
5 Replies

10. IP Networking

Sharing internet connection

Hello all, Recently took a dive into Unix using Fedora 12 atm. I have cable modem with DHCP and a linksys 8 port router. With windows I was able to simple use the uplink port and plug each computer into the switch and use the internet connection. Having no luck doing the same in Unix. I have... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Fingerz
0 Replies
WIRELESS(7)						     Linux Programmer's Manual						       WIRELESS(7)

NAME
wireless - Wireless Tools and Wireless Extensions SYNOPSIS
iwconfig iwpriv -a DESCRIPTION
The Wireless Extensions is an API allowing you manipulate Wireless LAN networking interfaces. It is composed of a variety of tools and configuration files. It is documented in more detail in the Linux Wireless LAN Howto. The Wireless Tools are used to change the configuration of wireless LAN networking interfaces on the fly, to get their current configura- tion, to get statistics and diagnose them. They are described in their own man page, see below for references. Wireless configuration is specific to each Linux distribution. This man page will contain in the future the configuration procedure for a few common distributions. For the time being, check the file DISTRIBUTIONS.txt included with the Wireless Tools package. DEBIAN 3.0 In Debian 3.0 (and later) you can configure wireless LAN networking devices using the network configuration tool ifupdown(8). File : /etc/network/interfaces Form : wireless-<function> <value> wireless-essid Home wireless-mode Ad-Hoc See also : /etc/network/if-pre-up.d/wireless-tools /usr/share/doc/wireless-tools/README.Debian SuSE 8.0 SuSE 8.0 (and later) has integrated wireless configuration in their network scripts. Tool : Yast2 File : /etc/sysconfig/network/wireless /etc/sysconfig/network/ifcfg-* Form : WIRELESS_<function>=<value> WIRELESS_ESSID="Home" WIRELESS_MODE=Ad-Hoc See also : man ifup info scpm ORIGINAL PCMCIA SCRIPTS
If you are using the original configuration scripts from the Pcmcia package, you can use this method. File : /etc/pcmcia/wireless.opts Form : *,*,*,*) ESSID="Home" MODE="Ad-Hoc" ;; See also : /etc/pcmcia/wireless File PCMCIA.txt part of Wireless Tools package AUTHOR
Jean Tourrilhes - jt@hpl.hp.com http://www.hpl.hp.com/personal/Jean_Tourrilhes/Linux/ SEE ALSO
iwconfig(8), iwlist(8), iwspy(8), iwpriv(8), iwevent(8). wireless-tools 4 March 2004 WIRELESS(7)