Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Moving files to 'trash'
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Moving files to 'trash' Post 302277841 by Rhije on Sunday 18th of January 2009 12:02:24 PM
Old 01-18-2009
Yeah you can just use another parameter... umm something like

Code:
if [ -z $2 ]; then
  mv $1 .$2
else 
  mv $1 .
fi

Or something like that. the -z tests the variable if it is NULL or not.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

moving only files...

hi.. I want to move a set of files that contain a particular string. I wished to do that with find but i am unable to do that. can anybody give me a good method? :) (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: sskb
12 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Moving Files

Hi There, I am trying to move files, the file is present in this location: /iAm4Free/test/generate/txt/information.txt I need to move it to: /iAm4Free/test1/generate/txt/information.txt The only difference is the "test" is replaced with "test1". But the constraint is. The parent... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: iAm4Free
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Moving files

I wrote a script which moves files on first in first out basis. for i in `ls -ltr | grep ^- | head -10 | awk '{print $9}'` do mv $i Test/ done But donno some reason, this is not working on my Linux box. May i know the reason? Can the above script be done by using positional... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: venkatesht
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Moving files

Hi I need to be able to move files from one central locations to different servers on our network. So i want all of our operators to place files to one area on the main storage area. From there i need a script that first checks the file is stable (finished copying) then copy to another server,... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: treds
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

moving the files in a.txt files to a different directory

HI All, I am coding a shell script which will pick all the .csv files in a particular directoryand write it in to a .txt file, this .txt file i will use as a source in datastage for processing. now after the processing is done I have to move and archive all the files in the .txt file to a... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: subhasri_2020
5 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Moving Multiple files to destination files

I am running a code like this foreach list ($tmp) mv *_${list}.txt ${chart}_${list}.txt #mv: when moving multiple files, last argument must be a directory mv *_${list}.doc ${chart}_${list}.doc #mv: when moving multiple files, last argument must be a... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: animesharma
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding files with wc -l results = 1 then moving the files to another folder

Hi guys can you please help me with a script to find files with one row/1 line of content then move the file to another directory my script below runs but nothing happens to the files....Alternatively Ca I get a script to find the *.csv files with "wc -1" results = 1 then create a list of those... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dj Moi
5 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Moving files..

Selected directories on our system generate alerts when they exceed 60% of the disk space so I have used gzip to make the files smaller on one of the directories in question (AdminServer logs). I want to move these to another directory what is the best way to make this happen? Thanks.. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: nosuchluck
4 Replies

9. AIX

Moving Hidden files to normal files

I have a bunch of hidden files in a directory in AIX. I would like to move these hidden files as regular files to another directory. Say i have the following files in directory /x .test~1234~567 .report~5678~123 .find~9876~576 i would like to move them to directory /y as test~1234~567... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: umesh.narain
10 Replies
GENDERS_TESTATTR(3)						    LIBGENDERS						       GENDERS_TESTATTR(3)

NAME
genders_testattr - test if a node has an attribute SYNOPSIS
#include <genders.h> int genders_testattr(genders_t handle, const char *node, const char *attr, char *val, int len); int genders_testattrval(genders_t handle, const char *node, const char *attr, const char *val); DESCRIPTION
genders_testattr() tests if the node pointed to by node contains the attribute pointed to by attr. If node is NULL, the current node is tested. If the attribute is found, its value is stored in the buffer pointed to by val. len should indicate the length of the buffer. If the attribute value is not needed, val can be set to NULL. To avoid passing in an attribute value buffer that is not large enough to store the attribute value, genders_getmaxvallen(3) should be used to determine the minimum buffer size that should be used. genders_testattrval() tests if the node pointed to by node contains the attribute pointed to by attr and if that attribute is equal to the attribute value pointed to by val. If val is NULL, only the attribute is tested. RETURN VALUES
For genders_testattr(), if the node contains the attribute, 1 is returned. 0 is returned if the node does not contain the attribute. For genders_testattrval(), if the node contains the attribute and it is equal to the attribute value, 1 is returned. 0 is returned if the node does not contain the attribute, or if the attribute is not equal to the attribute value. For both genders_testattr() and genders_testattrval(), -1 is returned on error, and an error code is returned in handle. The error code can be retrieved via genders_errnum(3) , and a description of the error code can be retrieved via genders_strerror(3). Error codes are defined in genders.h. ERRORS
GENDERS_ERR_NULLHANDLE The handle parameter is NULL. The genders handle must be created with genders_handle_create(3). GENDERS_ERR_NOTLOADED genders_load_data(3) has not been called to load genders data. GENDERS_ERR_OVERFLOW The buffer pointed to by val is not large enough to store the attribute value. GENDERS_ERR_PARAMETERS An incorrect parameter has been passed in. GENDERS_ERR_NOTFOUND The node pointed to by node cannot be found in the genders file or if node=NULL, the machine genders is running on is not listed in the genders database. GENDERS_ERR_MAGIC handle has an incorrect magic number. handle does not point to a genders handle or handle has been destroyed by genders_han- dle_destroy(3). FILES
/usr/include/genders.h SEE ALSO
libgenders(3), genders_handle_create(3), genders_load_data(3), genders_getmaxvallen(3), genders_errnum(3), genders_strerror(3) LLNL
August 2003 GENDERS_TESTATTR(3)