Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming returning multiple values from a function in C Post 302277764 by Andrewkl on Saturday 17th of January 2009 10:23:13 PM
Old 01-17-2009
returning multiple values from a function in C

hi

how can I return multiple values from a C function. I tried the following:

Code:
#include <stdio.h>
void foo(int id, char *first_name, char *last_name)
{
/*
  this is just an example to illustrate my problem... real code makes
  use of the "id" parameter.
*/
   first_name = (char *)malloc(99 * sizeof(char));
   strcpy(first_name, "john");
   last_name = (char *)malloc(99 * sizeof(char));
   strcpy(last_name, "doe");
printf("----inside foo(): first name is: [%s]\n", first_name);
printf("----inside foo(): last name is: [%s]\n", last_name);

} /* foo() */

main() 
{
  char *fname, *lname;

foo(4, fname, lname); 

printf("x-----------------\n");
  printf("first name is: [%s]\n", fname);
  printf("y-----------------\n");
  printf("last name is: [%s]\n", lname);

}

however, I get a coredump:

Code:
----inside foo(): first name is: [john]
----inside foo(): last name is: [doe]
x-----------------
Segmentation Fault (core dumped)

how can I get the fname and lname variables in the main() function to hold the values initialized
by the foo() function? i tried:

Code:
 foo(4, &fname, &lname);

but this results in:

Code:
foo.c:19: warning: passing arg 2 of `foo' from incompatible pointer type
foo.c:19: warning: passing arg 3 of `foo' from incompatible pointer type

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

string returning function

I have two string returning function in ESQL/C char *segment_name(lbuffer) char *lbuffer; {..... and char *get_bpdvalue(f_name) char *f_name; {...... both declared above main() char *get_bpdvalue(); char *segment_name(); my problem is segment_name works on sprintf and strcpy... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jisc
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

returning from a function

Hi all, I am very new to BASH shell programming. I need to return an integer from a function to the caller function. I did this: but it keeps giving me wrong return: Can someone help me out here, please? Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: alirezan
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Returning the name of function used

Hi All In my script, I can call on several functions. I have a logging function that is called by any of these functions. What I would like is some way of identifying which function I am using and pass this to the log function as some parameter. Is there some built in command or way of... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kingpin2502
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to capture oracle function returning 2 values in unix

i have an oracle function which returns two values, one is the error message if the function encounters anything and another one which returns a number i need to capture both and pass it on to unix shell script how to do it (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: trichyselva
2 Replies

5. Programming

Function Returning Pointer

Hi guys. how a functions such fdopen, ... can return pointer? are these functions use static memory(variables)? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: majid.merkava
6 Replies

6. Programming

Passing multiple values from a function in C

I know multiple values can be returned from a function in C like this: char **read_file ( char * , unsigned long int * );//this is the function prototypeunsigned long int number_of_words = 0;//variable defined in main() and initialized to 0words_from_dictionary = read_file ( "dictionary.dit" ,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shoaibjameel123
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Output breaking when returning multiple values

I've been trying to write a command-line function to grab a website's MX records and their ip addresses. The code below works with domains that only have one MX record: function kmx { mx=`host -t MX $1 | awk '{ print $7 }'`; ip=`host $mx | sed '/IPv6/d;/handled/d' | awk '{ print $4 }'`; ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Azrael
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Returning and capturing multiple return values from a function

Hi I am pretty confused in returning and capturing multiple values i have defined a function which should return values "total, difference" i have used as #!/usr/bin/ksh calc() { total=$1+$2 echo "$total" diff=$2-$1 echo "$diff" } I have invoked this function as calc 5 8 Now i... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Priya Amaresh
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Returning multiple values in Shell

Hi I have a code as the following #!/usr/bin/ksh set -x row() { a=$1 b=$2 c=$(($a + $b)) d=$(($a * $b)) echo $a $b } e=`row 2 3` set $e echo "The value of c is $c" echo "The value of d is $d" My requirement is I need to pass two arguments to a function and return two values... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Priya Amaresh
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

[bash] wanted: function with a clean way for multiple return values

Hi, I have a small part of a project which is done as a bash script. bash was selected as an portability issue that works out of the box. In this script I have an exec shell-function, a wrapper around arbitrary commands. I want to have STDOUT, as an addon STDERR and the EXIT-CODE of a specified... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: stomp
5 Replies
UNSET(3)								 1								  UNSET(3)

unset - Unset a given variable

SYNOPSIS
void unset (mixed $var, [mixed $...]) DESCRIPTION
unset(3) destroys the specified variables. The behavior of unset(3) inside of a function can vary depending on what type of variable you are attempting to destroy. If a globalized variable is unset(3) inside of a function, only the local variable is destroyed. The variable in the calling environment will retain the same value as before unset(3) was called. <?php function destroy_foo() { global $foo; unset($foo); } $foo = 'bar'; destroy_foo(); echo $foo; ?> The above example will output: bar To unset(3) a global variable inside of a function, then use the $GLOBALS array to do so: <?php function foo() { unset($GLOBALS['bar']); } $bar = "something"; foo(); ?> If a variable that is PASSED BY REFERENCE is unset(3) inside of a function, only the local variable is destroyed. The variable in the calling environment will retain the same value as before unset(3) was called. <?php function foo(&$bar) { unset($bar); $bar = "blah"; } $bar = 'something'; echo "$bar "; foo($bar); echo "$bar "; ?> The above example will output: something something If a static variable is unset(3) inside of a function, unset(3) destroys the variable only in the context of the rest of a function. Fol- lowing calls will restore the previous value of a variable. <?php function foo() { static $bar; $bar++; echo "Before unset: $bar, "; unset($bar); $bar = 23; echo "after unset: $bar "; } foo(); foo(); foo(); ?> The above example will output: Before unset: 1, after unset: 23 Before unset: 2, after unset: 23 Before unset: 3, after unset: 23 PARAMETERS
o $var - The variable to be unset. o $... - Another variable ... RETURN VALUES
No value is returned. EXAMPLES
Example #1 unset(3) example <?php // destroy a single variable unset($foo); // destroy a single element of an array unset($bar['quux']); // destroy more than one variable unset($foo1, $foo2, $foo3); ?> Example #2 Using (unset) casting (unset) casting is often confused with the unset(3) function. (unset) casting serves only as a NULL-type cast, for completeness. It does not alter the variable it's casting. <?php $name = 'Felipe'; var_dump((unset) $name); var_dump($name); ?> The above example will output: NULL string(6) "Felipe" NOTES
Note Because this is a language construct and not a function, it cannot be called using variable functions. Note It is possible to unset even object properties visible in current context. Note It is not possible to unset $this inside an object method since PHP 5. Note When using unset(3) on inaccessible object properties, the __unset() overloading method will be called, if declared. SEE ALSO
isset(3), empty(3), __unset(), array_splice(3). PHP Documentation Group UNSET(3)