Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris fmthard showing error with prtvtoc Post 302277712 by seg on Saturday 17th of January 2009 02:59:54 PM
Old 01-17-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by kumarmani
I did manual slicing . Do i have to newfs these slices before putting them into volumes
Go ahead and newfs the slice.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Interface not showing : Xview error

Hi I'm having a big trouble running a configuration tool (ftamtool) which uses xview on sunos 5.8, it refuses to start and says: XView error: could not load font 'FONT_FAMILY_SANS_SERIF... How to force the program to use installed fonts and where are fonts installed available to use ? ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: andryk
0 Replies

2. Solaris

mailx -s is showing an error

Error is like /users/d12381/check.sh: mail_sysadmin@mycompany: not found Plz help me to sort out this issue (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Renjesh
6 Replies

3. Solaris

prtvtoc command

If i have diks layout like below 0 root wm 0 - 634 471.29MB (635/0/0) 965200 1 var wm 635 - 2014 1.00GB (1380/0/0) 2097600 2 backup wm 0 - 2732 1.98GB (2733/0/0) 4154160 3 swap wu 2015 - 2704 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tpx99
1 Replies

4. HP-UX

Error alert keep showing at console

Hi, I would like to ask for your help. I tried to log in through console to my server HP-UX 10.20 but I keep receiving error message as below: Vxfs: mesg 001: vx_nospace -/dev/vg02/lvol6 file system full Vxfs: mesg 001: vx_nospace - /dev/vg02/lvol9 file system full How should I stop this... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: yeazas
4 Replies

5. Solaris

Output from prtvtoc

Hi All, when i run the command prtvtoc the output shows 38309 cylinders 38307 accessible cylinders as per my undertanding the 1st cylinder is used for storing the vtoc , how about the second cylinder ? where its used and for what purpose? Thanks (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: kumarmani
9 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

command showing error

Hi, I have an command which find the files modified within last 8 days and then after selecting the files from the location it make the tar format and send it to the specified destination ...now I want that this task to be automative ..that is it should happen after every 5 minutes ...for that... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: NARESH SAXENA
3 Replies

7. Solaris

fmthard error

Hello, I have a X86 server (solaris 10) with 4 similar disks. One of these 4 disks is the root disk. I need to create a mirror disk to the root disk and two hot spares using the remaining 3 disks. However, when I use the fmthard commad, I am getting the below error: root@xxxxxxxx>prtvtoc... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mystition
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Showing error

if ; then rm -rf "${x}"_"${y}"_abc_pqr.dat error: `then' unmatchedCan anyone please help me in correcting it. Please use code tags next time for your code and data. Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: D_Sethi
2 Replies

9. Solaris

Prtvtoc not working

Hi, I am trying to mirror a disk (which was already mirror and after breaking it, doing it again). This is root disk and in control of veritas. Somehow, slice information is not coming correctly on this. Can somebody give some pointer to fix it ? root@tdrp091:/root# prtvtoc /dev/rdsk/c3t0d0s2 |... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: solaris_1977
6 Replies

10. Solaris

Copied prtvtoc to original disk

Hi, It is Solaris-10 with ZFS. c0t1d0 is original disk. c0t0d0 was faulty disk, which was replaced with new one and by mistake somebody ran opposite command # prtvtoc /dev/rdsk/c0t0d0s0 | fmthard -s - /dev/rdsk/c0t1d0s0 Now rpool is in suspended state. Right now server is up, but allowing ssh... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: solaris_1977
6 Replies
newfs(8)						      System Manager's Manual							  newfs(8)

Name
       newfs - construct a new file system

Syntax
       /etc/newfs [ -N ] [ -n ] [ -v ] [ mkfs-options ] special disk-type

Description
       The command is a front-end to the program.  The program looks up the type of disk a file system is being created on in the disk description
       file calculates the appropriate parameters to use in calling then builds the file system by forking If the file system is a root partition,
       installs the necessary bootstrap program in the initial 16 sectors of the device.

If there is no disk description for the specified disk type in the file, the program will use the subroutine to derive disk geometry infor-
       mation from the controlling device driver.  This functionality is provided for MSCP and SCSI disks.

Options
       -N	 Runs in no update mode.  In this mode, will not write to

-n	 Prevents the bootstrap program from being installed.

-v	 Instructs to print out its actions, including the parameters passed to

Options which may be used to override default parameters passed to are:

-s size	 The size of the file system in sectors.

-b block-size
		 The block size of the file system in bytes.

-f frag-size
		 The fragment size of the file system in bytes.

-t #tracks/cylinder
       -c #cylinders/group
		 The number of cylinders per cylinder group in a file system.  The default value used is 16.

-m free space %
		 The percentage of space reserved from normal users; the minimum free space threshold.	The default value used is 10%.

-o optimization
		 Specifies whether the file system will optimize for space or for time.

-r revolutions/minute
		 The speed of the disk in revolutions per minute (normally 3600).

-S sector-size
		 The size of a sector in bytes (almost never anything but 512).

-i number of bytes per inode
		 This specifies the density of inodes in the file system.  The default is to create an inode for each 2048 bytes  of  data  space.
		 If fewer inodes are desired, a larger number should be used; to create more inodes a smaller number should be given.

Files
       For disk geometry and file system partition information

To actually build the file system

For boot strapping program

See Also
       disktab(5), fs(5), chpt(8), fsck(8), format(8v), creatediskbyname(3x), mkfs(8), tunefs(8)
       "A Fast File System for UNIX", Supplementary Documents, Volume 3: System Manager

newfs(8)