Sponsored Content
Operating Systems BSD FreeBSD Label Editor Post-install Question Post 302277649 by septima.pars on Saturday 17th of January 2009 06:53:23 AM
Old 01-17-2009
FreeBSD Label Editor Post-install Question

Hello there,

Over the past few days I have installed FreeBSD 7.1 (which i'm new at)
to an external Hard Drive.

When installing, I chose to partition the disk Automatically and now I'm trying to use the label editor (post-installation configuration) to name the mount points:

/
/usr
/var
/home

...on each of the separate partitions.

My question is when I start to label the mount points with the Label Editor and attempt to 'write' (finalize) my changes, i get an error saying something to the effect of "the disk could not be mounted" along with "operation not permitted"
(these errors are for EACH partition btw)

What am I doing wrong? How am I able to make my changes 'permanent' ?

P.S.

After being prompted, I also set the following because I was informed I could not perform the operations on disks that were in use.

Code:
sysctl kern.geom.debugflags=16

Thanks for any pointers : )

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

FreeBSD Install error

Not entirely sure if this belongs here but here it is. I am installing FreeBSD, downloaded the ISO from their website, created the Bootdisk. And when I try to boot, I get this error, 'Panic, Couldn't Inialize. Will not continue without Inialization'. I get the prompt telling me that it will... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Fmarvez
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Install FreeBSD 4.5

Hi, everyone. Last night I tried to install FreeBSD Unix 4.5 to my compaq desktop. During the installation, it showed some message says some devices "collaped". Does it mean my computer not support unix, or I need to config those data? (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: HOUSCOUS
7 Replies

3. BSD

FreeBSD 5.4 Install

sup everyone, i am having trouble installing freebsd 5.4 when i'm done installing freebsd, it came out like this screen shot 1 then i typed startx, it came out like this.. screen shot 2 i don't think it's normal.. so i went with "exit", it came out like this screen shot 3 ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: royal
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to install FreeBSD without loosing my data?

hi. I am newbie in Unix. I wanted to install Free BSD 5.2.1 to my computer which winXp was already installed. But i couldn't. I chose Standard. Then it said you are going to use dos style fdisk partitioning. Then a window displayed begining like this. WARNING: A geometry of 155127/16/63 for... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sualcavab
0 Replies

5. BSD

Install Gnome 2.22 in FreeBSD

at root command line # pkg_add -r gnome2 This will download the latest GNOME 2.22 packages from the FreeBSD FTP site, and proceed to install them on your system. Up-to-date GNOME packages for i386 and amd64 for all supported versions of FreeBSD are also available from the GNOME Tinderbox.... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: very9music
0 Replies

6. BSD

Installing ports upon FreeBSD install

I use DesktopBSD (FreeBSD + KDE) and regularly install this on our machines. Currently I go to the package manager to install the ports, but what shell command can I enter instead right after BSD install to install the ports? Thanks in advance (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: figaro
3 Replies

7. BSD

How can install the FreeBSD on desktop!!

;)Hello everyone,I'm a new FreeBSD user,I don't know how to intall the BSD on desktop,please help me ~~ Thanks~~:D (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: johnney
11 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to install bsdpan-* on freeBSD 7.1

Hi Experts, I have installed freeBSD 7.1. then I installed perl-5.8.8_1 from Ports, I read somewhere that If I install perl from port then it will automatically install bsdpan. But it did not work out. Practical Extraction and Report Language postgresql-plperl-8.3.3_1 Write SQL... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: mukundranjan
0 Replies

9. BSD

Standard FreeBSD install by circumventing sysinstall

Many of our machines are using the same FreeBSD install apart from details such as user name and node name. What would be an efficient way to install these machines without having to go through the sysinstall questions every time? We could create an iso image, but how are the user name and node... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: figaro
0 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed label question

Hi, I'm trying to run the below sed command someone showed me to remove comments, blank lines and line continuations from a file but I get the following label error: Label too long: :loop;/\\$/N;s/\\\n//;t loop sed '/^ *#/d' <$1 | sed '/^$/d' | sed ':loop;/\\$/N;s/\\\n//;t loop' | sed 's/\+/... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jazmania
7 Replies
voldisksetup(8) 					      System Manager's Manual						   voldisksetup(8)

NAME
voldisksetup - Sets up a disk for use with the Logical Storage Manager (LSM) SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/voldisksetup [-i] { diskname... | partition... } [attribute...] OPTIONS
The voldisksetup command takes the following option: Normally, voldisksetup simply creates partitions for use with the Logical Storage Man- ager. If the -i (initialize) option is specified, a disk header is added and an empty configuration is written on the disk. This operation destroys any previous LSM database contents on the disk. DESCRIPTION
The voldisksetup command is normally called by the voldiskadd command as part of initial disk configuration and is not usually called directly. The voldisksetup utility configures one or more disks for use by the Logical Storage Manager. A valid disk label must be installed on the disk before calling voldisksetup. The diskname and partition parameters specify the physical addresses of one or more disks and/or partitions being added to LSM. The format is dskn for an entire disk and dsknp for a specific partition. The n is the device unit number and p is a partition identifier in the range a through h). NOTES
The following options to voldisksetup are for Compaq internal use only: Overrides partition overlap checks. Suppresses overlap check mes- sages. ATTRIBUTES
The following attributes can be specified to affect the layout strategy used by voldisksetup: Specifies the length of the public area to create on the disk. This defaults to the size of the disk minus the private area on the disk. Specifies the length of the private area to create on the disk. The default is 4096 sectors. Disables the setup of kernel logs and configuration databases on the disk. The size of the private area is not changed, but it will not contain the normal private data. This attribute is ignored unless the -i option was sup- plied on the command line. Enables the setup of kernel logs and configuration databases on the disk (default). This attribute is ignored unless the -i option was supplied on the command line. Specifies the number of configuration copies and log copies to be initialized on the disk. This defaults to 1. Specifies the length in sectors of each configuration copy. The default values are calculated based on the value of nconfig. Specifies the length in sectors of each log copy. The default values are calculated based on the value of nconfig. Specifies a user-defined comment. ERRORS
You may receive the following messages when using the voldisksetup command: special-device or an overlapping partition is open This message indicates that you tried to initialize an LSM disk on a partition or a disk that is actively in use. The partition could be a mounted UFS or AdvFS file system, initialized as an LSM disk or used as a swap device. special-device is marked in use for fstype in the disklabel. If you continue with the operation you can possibly destroy existing data. CONTINUE? [y/n] This message indicates that you tried to initialize an LSM disk on a partition that is not currently in active use but is marked for use in the disk label's partition map. For example, the partition may be part of a UFS filesystem (4.2BSD) or an AdvFS domain. If you know that the partition you specified to voldisksetup does not contain any data, you can choose to override the warning. In this case, the fstype in the disk label will be modified to an LSM fstype such as LSMsimp, LSMpubl or LSMpriv. The exact fstype depends on whether a disk or a partition is given as an argument to voldisksetup. Note that you can use the command disklabel -s to set the fstype in the disk label to unused for partitions that do not contain any valid data. See disklabel(8) for more information. Partition(s) which overlap special-device are marked in use. If you continue with the operation you can possibly destroy existing data. CONTINUE? [y/n] This message indicates that the partition you specified is not marked for use, but other, overlapping partitions on the disk are marked for use. If you override this warning, the fstype in the disk's label will be modified. The partition you specified to voldisksetup will be marked as in use by LSM and all overlapping partitions will be marked UNUSED. The following examples illustrate these messages: Initializing an LSM simple disk on a partition that is open and actively in use: # /usr/sbin/voldisksetup -i dsk11c dsk11c or an overlapping partition is open. Initializing an LSM sliced disk on a disk which has partition g marked for use by UFS (4.2BSD): # /usr/sbin/voldisksetup -i dsk11 /dev/rdsk11g is marked in use for 4.2BSD in the disklabel. If you continue with the operation you can possibly destroy existing data. CONTINUE? [y/n] Partition g of disk dsk11 is marked for use by UFS (4.2BSD). If UFS is not actively using this partition and the partition does not contain any data, you may want to override this warning, by answering y. In this case, partition g will be marked as LSMpubl and partition h will be marked as LSMpriv in the disk label. Initializing an LSM simple disk on a partition whose overlapping parti- tions are marked for use: # /usr/sbin/voldisksetup -i dsk11c Partition(s) which overlap /dev/rdsk11c are marked in use. If you continue with the operation you can possibly destroy existing data. CONTINUE? [y/n] Partition c, which is being initialized into LSM, is not currently in use, but other partition(s) which overlap with partition c are marked in use in the disk label. If you answer y, partition c on disk dsk11 will be marked LSMsimp in the disk label and all parti- tions that overlap partition c will be marked UNUSED. Initializing an LSM disk on a disk that has no disk label: # /usr/sbin/voldisksetup -i dsk11 The disklabel for dsk11 does not exist or is corrupted. See disklabel(8) for information on installing a disk label on a disk. SEE ALSO
disklabel(8), volintro(8), voldisk(8), voldiskadd(8) voldisksetup(8)