Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers What does this error message mean? Post 302277601 by methyl on Friday 16th of January 2009 09:02:58 PM
Old 01-16-2009
And which Operating System (uname -a) ?

Last edited by methyl; 01-16-2009 at 10:05 PM.. Reason: grammatical error

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

error message

Hi All, occasionally my server gives this error messages "NOTICE:HTFS Out of inodes on HTFS dev hd (1/42)" why ?? Alice. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: alisev
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Error Message

Hi everyone, Can anyone explain what the following error refers to...and perhaps a solution? vxfs: vx_nospace -/tmp file system full (8 block extent) Thanks, Uni (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Uni
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Error message

I'm getting an error - symbol referencing errors. No output written to, etc Can anybody tell me why this is? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dan Rooney
2 Replies

4. Solaris

Error message

Hi, My Solaris 5.8 system keeps getting this error at boot - "Can't set vol root to /vol" then /usr/sbin/vold: can't set vol root to /vol: Resource temporarily unavailiable Any idea what is wrong, and how do I fix it? (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ghuber
0 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Error message

Hi, My Solaris 5.8 system keeps getting this error at boot - "Can't set vol root to /vol" then /usr/sbin/vold: can't set vol root to /vol: Resource temporarily unavailiable Any idea what is wrong, and how do I fix it? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ghuber
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

getting last error message

Question for unix programmers - what function I need to used to get the exact error message when the library failed to load? Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tttttt
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Error message

I am new to scripting. I am using the following script . BART.dat contains the string 'Y' . #!/bin/ksh cd /work/TCI/data_out file=`cat BART.dat` echo "$file" if ; then echo "true" fi When i am executing the above script i am getting the following error ./s.ksh: : not found ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ammu
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Error Message

What does this means? - ERROR OPENING FILE - KEY LENGHT MISMATCH (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: RDM00
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Error Message

I keep getting an error message in a script im writing, this line is allways pointed out. if and this is the message i keep getting. line 32: [: 8: unary operator expected Whats wrong with it? Please Help. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: chapmana
5 Replies
eli(8)							      System Manager's Manual							    eli(8)

Name
       eli - error log initialization program

Syntax
       eli [ options ]

Description
       The command initializes error logging.  This command enables error logging of hardware and system-related error packets, or error messages,
       from the kernel errorlog buffer.  It can also disable error logging, reconfigure error logging parameters, or initialize the kernel  error-
       log buffer.

Options
       -d     Disables error logging.

-e     Enables error logging in multiuser mode.

-f     Forces the subsequent option; the system will not prompt.  This is the only command option you can use with another option.

-h     Prints information about the command.

-i     Initializes the kernel errorlog buffer.  The previous contents of the errorlog buffer are lost.

-l     Logs a one-line status message to the kernel errorlog buffer.

-n     Only supported for local error logging.  Disables logging error packets to disk by the daemon. High priority error messages continue
	      to be printed at the console.  Note that error log packets can be viewed by using the option in real time, but are never written	to
	      the disk.  For this reason, this option is rarely used.

-q     Suppresses the periodic display, on the console, of the missed error message that results from a full kernel errorlog buffer.

-r     Reconfigures error logging.  Use this option after changing the file.

-s     Enables error logging in single-user mode.

-w     Enables the missed error message to appear on the console every 15 minutes.  This option is the opposite of

Examples
       This example logs a one-line message into the errorlog file.
       eli -f -l "This is a test message"
       This example logs a message, up to and including the first new line, from the file
       eli -f -l < myfile > /dev/null

Restrictions
       You must have superuser privileges to use the command.

Only the -f option can be used with other options.  You must use the syntax shown in the examples above.

Diagnostics
       eli: Request Aborted.
       The requested action was aborted.  The reason for the aborted command is included with the output.

Files
See Also
       elcsd.conf(5), elcsd(8), uerf(8)
       Guide to the Error Logger

eli(8)