Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: packet loss problem
Special Forums IP Networking packet loss problem Post 302277597 by methyl on Friday 16th of January 2009 08:25:46 PM
Old 01-16-2009
Don't worry Photon, you are not the first by a long way.
Auto-negotiation of LAN speed and duplex settings does not work at all well
with servers. It can appear to work and then go very wrong after a power fail.

Perderabo advice is good.

It takes two to tango.

BOTH sides need to be hard set to NOT auto-negotiate.

1) Network
2) Servers

After the network guy have hard-set their LAN ports,
please positively configure your end to match.
Avoid auto-negotiation. Avoid half-duplex.

Then you need a one-time totally cold start.
i.e. Shutdown the server. Wait 5 mins. Cold start the server.

If this does not clear the fault then it's time to call the network engineer.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by methyl; 01-16-2009 at 09:33 PM.. Reason: minor typo

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Detecting data loss during FTP

Hi, How we can detect that there has been a data loss during FTP, throught Shell scripting? I have gone through FTP return codes, but, none indicate that there has been any data loss. Can we use FTP return code 226 as an indication that during file transfer there has been no data loss? If,... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sameerbo
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Response time under packet loss

I am experiencing a problem where under a dial condition I am experiencing packet loss, which is failrly normal, but the response to the packet loss is taking bewteen 6 and 10 seconds. Could someone please advise what the industry standard is on the response time under a packet loss senario. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shane
1 Replies

3. Ubuntu

packet inconsistency problem

Hello everyone, I was trying to install db2 on Ubuntu, but got messed up with manual installation and Synaptic. At the moment, I find myself with a filesystem where DB2 is NOT installed ( I removed it with a sudo rm :o ) and with Synaptic still flagging db2exc as installed. The problem is that... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: clalfa
1 Replies

4. IP Networking

Problem Receiving the first OSPF packet

I trying to send and receive OSPF packets. I am using RAW Sockets(socket(AF_INET, SOCK_RAW, IPPROTO_OSPF)) to do this. I am successfully able to send an OSPF Hello packet however I am not able to receive a OSPF packet if I have not sent an OSPF packet earlier on the RAW SOCKET. Scenario: ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cosmic_egg
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Problem when I try to install a wireshark packet

Hi Gurus of UNIX, I has a problem when I try to install a packet in my virtual box. (I install solaris in it) Any want can help whith it: The problem is the following # pkgadd -d wireshark-1.2.10-sol10-x86-local The following packages are available: 1 SMCwires wireshark ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: andresguillen
5 Replies

6. Solaris

Packet loss on ce interface.

Hi, I am using the ce interface on my Solaris 9 server and there is significant packet loss when transmitting large packets. Does anyone have a fix for this? ----10.1.0.0 PING Statistics---- 51 packets transmitted, 42 packets received, 17% packet loss round-trip (ms) min/avg/max =... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: sparcman
12 Replies

7. AIX

Packet loss coming with big packet size ping

(5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vishal_dba
5 Replies
TXP(4)							   BSD Kernel Interfaces Manual 						    TXP(4)

NAME
txp -- 3Com 3XP Typhoon/Sidewinder (3CR990) Ethernet interface SYNOPSIS
To compile this driver into the kernel, place the following line in your kernel configuration file: device txp Alternatively, to load the driver as a module at boot time, place the following line in loader.conf(5): if_txp_load="YES" DESCRIPTION
The txp interface provides access to the 10Mb/s and 100Mb/s Ethernet networks via the 3Com Typhoon/Sidewinder chipset. Basic Ethernet functions are provided as well as support for vlan(4) tag removal and insertion assistance, receive ip(4), tcp(4), and udp(4) checksum offloading, and transmit ip(4) checksum offloading. There is currently no support for transmit tcp(4) or udp(4) checksum offload- ing, tcp(4) segmentation, nor ipsec(4) acceleration. Each of the host's network addresses is specified at boot time with an SIOCSIFADDR ioctl(2). The txp interface employs the address resolu- tion protocol described in arp(4) to dynamically map between Internet and Ethernet addresses on the local network. When a txp interface is brought up, by default, it will attempt to auto-negotiate the link speed and duplex mode. The speeds, in order of attempt, are: 100Mb/s Full Duplex, 100Mb/s Half Duplex, 10 Mb/s Full Duplex, and 10 Mb/s Half Duplex. The txp supports several media types, which are selected via the ifconfig(8) command. The supported media types are: media autoselect Attempt to autoselect the media type (default) media 100baseTX mediaopt full-duplex Use 100baseTX, full duplex media 100baseTX [mediaopt half-duplex] Use 100baseTX, half duplex media 10baseT mediaopt full-duplex Use 10baseT, full duplex media 10baseT [mediaopt half-duplex] Use 10baseT, half duplex HARDWARE
The txp driver supports the following cards: o 3Com 3CR990-TX-95 o 3Com 3CR990-TX-97 o 3Com 3cR990B-TXM o 3Com 3CR990SVR95 o 3Com 3CR990SVR97 o 3Com 3cR990B-SRV SEE ALSO
altq(4), arp(4), inet(4), intro(4), ip(4), miibus(4), tcp(4), udp(4), vlan(4), ifconfig(8) HISTORY
The txp driver first appeared in OpenBSD 2.9. BSD
March 12, 2009 BSD