Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Scripting the process to edit a large file Post 302277594 by makkar4u on Friday 16th of January 2009 07:54:35 PM
Old 01-16-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfajohnson

Did you copy the script exactly as I posted it? It works for me, including incrementing the version.

Do you get any error messages?

That is the best way to do it: send the output to a temporary file and mv or cp it to the original file.

Thanks Johnson for your earlier replies, but stucked again at one point. Script is running fine. Problem is if my db file is like:

version: yyyymmddrr
aaa
bbb
ccc
Include city London
ddd
eee
fff
Include city Sydney
more lines

now in this kind of db file, script is putting comment on all lines. but I need to put comment only on lines with "Include" but at the same time uncomment line matching city variable...

One last thing, I need to use this script in kind of a failover process in live production environment on large db files with around 1000 entries.

Thanks a lot in advance.

Last edited by makkar4u; 01-16-2009 at 10:10 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to edit large files using vi

How to edit large file using vi where you can't increase /usr/var/tmp anymore? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nazri
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help to edit a large file

I am trying to edit a file that has 33k+ records. In this file I need to edit each record that has a 'Y' in the 107th position and change the 10 fields before the 'Y' to blanks. Not all records have a 'Y' in the 107th field. ex: ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: jxh461
8 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

what is the most effective way to process a large logfile?

I am dealing with a very large firewall logfile (more than 10G), the logfile like this *snip* Nov 9 10:12:01 testfirewall root: Nov 9 10:12:01 testfirewall root: 0:00:11 accept testfw01-hme0 >hme0 proto: icmp; src: test001.example.net; dst: abc.dst.net; rule: 1; icmp-type: 8;... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: fedora
8 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to edit large file in unix

hi All, Plz let me know how to edit a file with 2000000 records. each record contains with 40 field seperated by |. i want modify 455487 record, but i am uable to edit this large file using vi editor in unix. plz let me know how to modify this file. Thanks in advance. -Bali Reddy (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: balireddy_77
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Edit a large file in place

:confused:Folks, I have a file with 50 million records having 2 columns. I have to do the below: 1. Generate some random numbers of a fixed length. 2. Replace the second column of randomly chosen rows with the random numbers. I tried using a little bit of perl to generate random numbers... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: mvijayv
6 Replies

6. Red Hat

Fork wait in background process - large delay

hi all, We are trying to run a process in the background and in the process we call fork ;and wait for the child process to finish .We find that the died = wait(&status); happens after 10 seconds randomly and sometimes completes in time (within 1 sec) This behavior is seen only when the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vishnu.priya
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to edit a large file

Whenever I am trying to edit a file in unix with vi editor, I am getting the following error: <data> :Tmp file too large Is there any way that I can edit the file other than vi. Any help is really appreciated. Thanks (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: bobby1015
10 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Process multiple large files with awk

Hi there, I'm camor and I'm trying to process huge files with bash scripting and awk. I've got a dataset folder with 10 files (16 millions of row each one - 600MB), and I've got a sorted file with all keys inside. For example: a sample_1 200 a.b sample_2 10 a sample_3 10 a sample_1 10 a... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: camor
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

TCL scripting: errorInfo=integer value too large to represent

The username is of the format : 123456789110000-1234@something.com With this below TCL procedure, I am trying add first and Sec Id and get third Id. I checked in online compiler and it seems to work and add. However, when I am running this in my lab, I get error as "integer value too large to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Shaibal_bp
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

TCL scripting: errorInfo=integer value too large to represent

The username is of the format : 123456789110000-1234@something.com With this below TCL procedure, I am trying add first and Sec Id and get third Id. I checked in online compiler and it seems to work and add. However, when I am running this in my lab, I get error as "integer value too large to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shaibal_bp
3 Replies
LedgerSMB::Location(3pm)				User Contributed Perl Documentation				  LedgerSMB::Location(3pm)

NAME
LedgerSMB::Location - LedgerSMB class for managing Business Locations SYOPSIS
This module contains location management routines. This subclasses LedgerSMB::DBObject to provide access to automatice mapping of function arguments and the like. METHODS
delete save Saves the location. Properties to be set to be saved are: * location_id: Optional: Overwrite location with this id. * address1: First line of the address. * address2: Second line of the address * address3: Third line of the address * city * state: state or province * zipcode: zipcode or mail code, * country: The id of the country as per the country table get Retrieves a location record based on the id field of the object. Merges the properties into the object. search Returns anarrayref (and stores it on $self->{search_results} based on the search of addresses. Not currently used. Attributes used as search criteria: address1: Partial match for address line 1 address2: Partial match for address line 2, city: Partial match for city name state: Partial match for state or province name, zipcode: Partial match for zip or postal code, country: Partial name for country name) list_all Provides a list of all locations, ordered by country, then city, then state. delete Deletes the location identified by id Copyright (C) 2007, The LedgerSMB core team. This file is licensed under the Gnu General Public License version 2, or at your option any later version. A copy of the license should have been included with your software. perl v5.14.2 2011-07-06 LedgerSMB::Location(3pm)