Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: command line explanation
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting command line explanation Post 302277470 by JerryHone on Friday 16th of January 2009 11:19:56 AM
Old 01-16-2009
Slip up on my part...\n is officially a newline character - ASCII LF = 0x0A. \r is officially the carriage retrurn character CR = 0x0D.

Entering a "\n" in a string is equivalent to entering the "Return" or "Enter" key on the keyboard.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

explanation of this line

Hi Gurus, sqlplus system @$1 0</opt/oracle/pwdfile What would be the output of the above life....the password for the user "system" the user is stored in /opt/oracle/pwdfile When i try to run the script it says password not found? $1 0< What is the meaning of the $1 and 0? ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: castlerock
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed command explanation needed

Hi, Could you please explain me the below statement -- phrase wise. sed -e :a -e '$q;N;'$cnt',$D;ba' abc.txt > xyz.txt if suppose $cnt contains value: 10 it copies last 9 lines of abc.txt to xyz.txt why it is copying last 9 rather than 10. and also what is ba and $D over there in... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: subbukns
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

explanation for this line

Hi All, can you please explain me the meaning of this line-- BackupLocation="/inpass/abc" Parent=$(expr $BackupLocation : '\(.*\)/.*' \| $BackupLocation) when i ran this as a command also it did not show me anything so could not get the purpose of this line. Explain it please. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: namishtiwari
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

SED command explanation

can someone please explain the below sed command.. sed 's/\(*|\)\(.*\)/\2\1/' (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: raghu_shekar
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed sorting command explanation

sed '$!N; /^\(.*\)\n\1$/!P; D' i found this file which removes duplicates irrespective for sorted or unsorted file. keep first occurance and remove the further occurances. can any1 explain how this is working.. i need to remove duplicates following file. duplicate criteria is not the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mukeshguliao
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

command explanation

can anyone please tell me what does this expression means , i am under probation and need some explanation :) $AUDIT_DIR -type f -mtime +$AUDIT_EXPIRE \ -exec rm {} > /dev/null 2>&1 \; AUDIT_DIR="/var/log/" AUDIT_EXPIRE='30' Please use code tags! (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: semaan
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need explanation a of command in linux

Hi All I ran a script in Linux. In the script i have lines like && echo "Failed: Missing ${CM_ENV_FILE} \n" && return 1 . ${CM_ENV_FILE} Where CM_ENV_FILE = /data/ds/dpr_ebicm_uat//etl/cm3_0/entities/BBME/parameters/cm.env But its taking this path... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vee_789
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Explanation of the sort command

Hi everyone, I am wondering if someone could please break down and explain the following sort command for me: ls ${DEST_LOCATION}/${FILES} | sort -rt -k 4,4n | head -1 I have tried working it out using 'man sort', but on AIX there is not a great explanation of this function. I know that... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: jimbojames
9 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed command explanation

Will someone give me an explanation on how the sed command below works. sed 's/.*//' Thanks! (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: scj2012
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Explanation of Nawk command

Hi Folks, I am struggling to understand nawk command which was used by another developer. Can you please explain what each character or string is doing here below: if ; then (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kirans.229
3 Replies
gets(n) 						       Tcl Built-In Commands							   gets(n)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
gets - Read a line from a channel SYNOPSIS
gets channelId ?varName? _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
This command reads the next line from channelId, returns everything in the line up to (but not including) the end-of-line character(s), and discards the end-of-line character(s). ChannelId must be an identifier for an open channel such as the Tcl standard input channel (stdin), the return value from an invocation of open or socket, or the result of a channel creation command provided by a Tcl extension. The channel must have been opened for input. If varName is omitted the line is returned as the result of the command. If varName is specified then the line is placed in the variable by that name and the return value is a count of the number of characters returned. If end of file occurs while scanning for an end of line, the command returns whatever input is available up to the end of file. If chan- nelId is in nonblocking mode and there is not a full line of input available, the command returns an empty string and does not consume any input. If varName is specified and an empty string is returned in varName because of end-of-file or because of insufficient data in non- blocking mode, then the return count is -1. Note that if varName is not specified then the end-of-file and no-full-line-available cases can produce the same results as if there were an input line consisting only of the end-of-line character(s). The eof and fblocked commands can be used to distinguish these three cases. EXAMPLE
This example reads a file one line at a time and prints it out with the current line number attached to the start of each line. set chan [open "some.file.txt"] set lineNumber 0 while {[gets $chan line] >= 0} { puts "[incr lineNumber]: $line" } close $chan SEE ALSO
file(n), eof(n), fblocked(n), Tcl_StandardChannels(3) KEYWORDS
blocking, channel, end of file, end of line, line, nonblocking, read Tcl 7.5 gets(n)